STrib: Johnson had the only Big Ten team with three freshmen averaging at least 20 minutes per game in the first 11 games.

Isn't the point of a site like this to have the ability for interested fans to exchange information and opposing views of the situation? It's an outlet to talk about the team in depth and with passion that is not heard in other circles in this town. If that indeed is the purpose why would anyone expect that people would not be displeased with where we are at today and expressing it here?

If the soccer team is doing poorly- I don't care. (Do we have one?) And furthermore I won't be complaining about it. I love Gopher basketball and have since the late 1960's and I want to see it someday be great at the level it was heading in the Musselman years and briefly under Dutcher and Clem.

I want Ben to succeed as does every real fan here. That said, it is just as Bob says- it needs to improve in a big way during this year and in the next year or we have trouble- again.

Oh wow, I hope you're doing that whole thing where you pretend to not understand the point.

I think GH is a representation of the Gopher fandom and I think if/when the fans completely turn on a coach, it makes it a little harder for an administration to keep them employed. Clearly, I don't think a negative post on GH is going to cost Ben Johnson his job. However, empty arenas and a fan base that has lost confidence in the coach definitely could.

So the critical posts on GH are a symptom of an ailment - a coach who lost fanbase.

Do I think we're there yet? Nope. Do I think we will be next year barring significant improvement? Yep.

You don't think the fandom's response to a coach influences hiring/firing decisions? Or are you going to keep pretending to miss the point?
So, fan negativity affects the administration's view of the program but not the way players view the situation.

So, fan negativity affects the administration's view of the program but not the way players view the situation.
They don’t live in a bubble. I think they can tell even without gopherhole that they are part of a negative program. These guys are at the highest level of amateur sports (outside of international amateur events like fiba U17…etc)…I think they know that wins are expected and if they don’t produce there will be a s***storm of negativity via all mediums (they have grown up in the age of social media for heavens sake). Sadly the performance has been so poor (look at their team offense and defense rankings nationally) that even nationally media is ripping on them…it’s not just us local fans on gopherhole

Huh?

Yes, obviously fan negativity can impact an administrations choices.

I don't know what the second part of your question is asking.

Are you asking if a player's view on the coach impacts the situation? Sure, it can. I think a team that is struggling with a team full of people who hate the coach can make the seat warmer.

Or are you asking if how the player's view the negativity can affect the situation? I mean, I don't really see how.

Huh?

Yes, obviously fan negativity can impact an administrations choices.

I don't know what the second part of your question is asking.

Are you asking if a player's view on the coach impacts the situation? Sure, it can. I think a team that is struggling with a team full of people who hate the coach can make the seat warmer.

Or are you asking if how the player's view the negativity can affect the situation? I mean, I don't really see how.
It didn't affect the hiring, so I'm not sure how it has any impact on the firing. Agree to disagree on that point, and whether or not early season fans' screams to fire the coach has any effect on the team moving forward into conference play.

They don’t live in a bubble. I think they can tell even without gopherhole that they are part of a negative program. These guys are at the highest level of amateur sports (outside of international amateur events like fiba U17…etc)…I think they know that wins are expected and if they don’t produce there will be a s***storm of negativity via all mediums (they have grown up in the age of social media for heavens sake). Sadly the performance has been so poor (look at their team offense and defense rankings nationally) that even nationally media is ripping on them…it’s not just us local fans on gopherhole
All you have to do is look at the arena, how empty it is and how quiet it is and you know how the fans feel. Zero excitement right now. That can change but only the players and coaches can make that happen. Once you lose the fans, you have to earn them back.

A little attendance history....

1967-71 attendance averages ranged from 5400 to 8400
71-72 Musselman arrived and attendance went to 14,291, then 17,883, then 12,313 (after the fight) then 16,850, 11,174 after probation and then Dutcher ran it back up to around 15k for a number of years until the Mitch Lee scandal

The fan support is a shadow of what it once was and something needs to be done on the court to win it back. It will start with all out effort and then it will take wins. I see neither at the moment.

Generate change? You think the team needs you to tell them they're not playing well? Or do you think Coyle scours this site waiting to pull the trigger on CBJ when it seems that GH posters have had enough?
He doesn't need to scour GH. The massive swaths of empty seats at Williams Arena scream loud enough.

Another look at this one-

Purdue frosh minutes: 81 per game Purdue frosh points: 29 out of their 77/game (38%)
Minnesota frosh minutes; 84 per game Minn. frosh points: 27 out of 63/game (42.5%)

Purdue's frosh obviously get more junk time/ cleanup minutes- to be fair. However, the comparison is fairly close.

The Coach84 said the culture is improving so please don't say things are negative around the team.

Another look at this one-

Purdue frosh minutes: 81 per game Purdue frosh points: 29 out of their 77/game (38%)
Minnesota frosh minutes; 84 per game Minn. frosh points: 27 out of 63/game (42.5%)

Purdue's frosh obviously get more junk time/ cleanup minutes- to be fair. However, the comparison is fairly close.
Purdue and most good teams have good junior & sophomore players too.

That's what I want Ben to build here. Keep recruiting & developing year after year.

Purdue and most good teams have good junior & sophomore players too.

That's what I want Ben to build here. Keep recruiting & developing year after year.
Garcia and Battle are not any good?

They're not as good when they have to play with brand new freshmen.

Our roster management will be much easier when we have have 2-3 recruiting classes on the team instead of just 1.

They're not as good when they have to play with brand new freshmen.

Our roster management will be much easier when we have have 2-3 recruiting classes on the team instead of just 1.
What about Purdue's older guys, do they play worse with frosh?

What about Purdue's older guys, do they play worse with frosh?
Painter has 4 years of his high school recruiting classes developed throughout his team.

Ben is just starting with his first freshmen class.

Bob's post just assured us that every post in here realizes that we're rebuilding.

So why do I have to keep explaining such basics??

If we're good in 2 years...I'm going to rub all your faces in it...game by game
Please, please, please do so. I would just LOVE to be heckled about how great the Gophers are since they are my favorite team! The difference between you and some of us is that you are happy with the path to where we might be going. Some of the rest of us question whether we are on course or not- because the coach has no history of climbing a hill this steep. We ALL want Ben to get to the top. ALL of us.

Please, please, please do so. I would just LOVE to be heckled about how great the Gophers are since they are my favorite team! The difference between you and some of us is that you are happy with the path to where we might be going. Some of the rest of us question whether we are on course or not- because the coach has no history of climbing a hill this steep. We ALL want Ben to get to the top. ALL of us.
I'm happy with Ben for now. I'm monitoring the play of our freshmen. And I'm monitoring recruiting.

I don't think it's your masculinity causing you to miss the point.

I don't have a plan, I wasn't hired to turn the program around. Either were you and absolutely nothing you do is going to impact their ability to turn it around.

That said, if fans are rightfully negative about floundering teams it can prompt needed change. I'm not at that point yet, but it's a fact that fan negativity is about one of the only things we do that can ever generate action (ie firing the coach).
Men take take action to effect change - not nag and nag and nag until everyone is in a bad mood and then hope the U leadership will magically know what to do, when to do it, how to do it, and spend time fixing it. (if that is yall's plan I don't know what to say)

Look for some good in each game knowing that it will turn the corner eventually. Like it or not Ben is the guy for now. It has not been that long since a round of 32 and it will not be that long till the next one. I know, it sucks, but cowboy the BLANK up people! sheesh....

Men take take action to effect change - not nag and nag and nag until everyone is in a bad mood and then hope the U leadership will magically know what to do, when to do it, how to do it, and spend time fixing it. (if that is yall's plan I don't know what to say)

Look for some good in each game knowing that it will turn the corner eventually. Like it or not Ben is the guy for now. It has not been that long since a round of 32 and it will not be that long till the next one. I know, it sucks, but cowboy the BLANK up people! sheesh....
Almost every single post you make is complaining that anyone says anything negative. Regardless of your tough guy talk, you're quite naggy on this subject.

Almost every single post you make is complaining that anyone says anything negative. Regardless of your tough guy talk, you're quite naggy on this subject.

When my sons (one is a U grad and the other is a junior at the U and both have been going to games since they were infants) came complaining about one thing or another and implied that I needed to fix it I would ask - What is your plan? How are you going to solve this? What help do you need from me? Complaining does absolutely nothing.

It is clear that you guys want all of us to take the complaining VERY seriously so I will ask one question: What is the plan Bob?

Yes, they are good players.
Question, do you consider the entire Gopher team to be a battle hardened team who has gone through full college basketball seasons?
If you read the post I shared about Garcia and Battle you realize that Battle lost time due to a foot surgery and Garcia lost 20lbs due to the flu in early December. How do you think that may have affected their game?

Beeg, I am surprised how negative you have become.

Garcia doesn’t have the full two years of experience he should. He’s really a sophomore games played wise.

Battle and he are good, still scepticle about Cooper.

The freshmen, if they stay, should be good as upperclassmen. I would expect at least one of them to transfer if this season bottoms out.

I'm happy with Ben for now. I'm monitoring the play of our freshmen. And I'm monitoring recruiting.
As long as you and menno are on the job, the Mn bb team will no doubt win the ncaa by 2045.

When my sons (one is a U grad and the other is a junior at the U and both have been going to games since they were infants) came complaining about one thing or another and implied that I needed to fix it I would ask - What is your plan? How are you going to solve this? What help do you need from me? Complaining does absolutely nothing.

It is clear that you guys want all of us to take the complaining VERY seriously so I will ask one question: What is the plan Bob?
Many posters are not complaining. Voicing concern about what is transpiring isn't complaining.

(1) Yet, here you are complaining again. What's your plan to stop people from complaining?

(2) Did anyone ask you to fix our problem?

(3) I DGAF how serious you take my opinions of the Gopher basketball team and I DGAF about your opinions. You care deeply about everyone's opinion. You care enough to complain about their opinions non-stop. So maybe this is where you got it wrong, I am merely giving my opinion on Gopher sports on a Gopher message board, I don't care how serious you take that opinion.

(4) As far as my plan, I plan on watching the Gophers and saying things I like when I like them and things I don't like when I don't like them - - you know, how just about every single fan of a sports team treats their team.

Top Bottom