STrib: Johnson had the only Big Ten team with three freshmen averaging at least 20 minutes per game in the first 11 games.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Marcus’ “5 Things We’ve Learned” article on Gopher hoops’ season:

Freshmen roles

There might be more impactful freshmen individually in the Big Ten, but no team in the conference has relied on freshmen more than the Gophers. Johnson had the only Big Ten team with three freshmen averaging at least 20 minutes per game in the first 11 games. Braeden Carrington (24.8), Pharrel Payne (21.2) and Jaden Henley (19.6) average the most minutes for the U freshmen, but Joshua Ola-Joseph (17.7) isn't far behind. Carrington, who had 20 points vs. Arkansas-Pine Bluff, carries a mature demeanor and high basketball IQ that gained Johnson's trust quickly with 24 minutes or more in eight of his 10 games. But Ola-Joseph, who has started the last five games, was the most consistent scorer recently by averaging 10 points in the five games he played double digits in minutes.

Henley showed flashes of his potential, starting the first nine games, but his role changed (18 minutes combined in last three games) when grad transfer Taurus Samuels became a starter. Payne played fewer than 20 minutes in four of the last seven games, but he has as much upside as any freshman in the Big Ten. The 6-9 big man leads the U freshmen with five double figure scoring games and leads all Big Ten freshman in field goal percentage (72.2) and blocks (1.25).

Go Gophers!!

I agree with a ground-up rebuild. I can wait...I want to wait and line-up good players at every position. I have patience...as long as progress shows in the freshmen's performance and in recruiting.

But most fans don't have patience beyond the current game.

I agree with a ground-up rebuild. I can wait...I want to wait and line-up good players at every position. I have patience...as long as progress shows in the freshmen's performance and in recruiting.

But most fans don't have patience beyond the current game.
Define progress? And don’t say a few 10pt games (I think you’ve said that before). It is bound to happen with the minutes they have to play (due to poor roster).

Define progress? And don’t say a few 10pt games (I think you’ve said that before). It is bound to happen with the minutes they have to play (due to poor roster).
It IS a few 10 point games right now. And competitive Big Ten play in the last 5 games.

If freshmen can do that, they will probably be good players as juniors.

And hopefully our higher-rated recruits are ready as sophomores.

three freshmen averaging at least 20 minutes per game​

We need to give this team rebuilding process some time. What matters is the payoff at the end. Right now the team is 1/4 of the way there.

I really don't care what the record is this year as long as the team gets rebuilt and good by year 3.

Play the young players so they learn. Winning now means nothing. Work now to win at year 3.

This is crazy. So 4 wins next year in the big10…great

I read a win-loss- simulation for the Big Ten. Minnesota was projected to win 2.2 Big Ten games. So we will say 4 wins. This season is a painful season. We all know what this program is like historically. The hope is to rebuild over a couple years. No such thing as a get great now for this program.

three freshmen averaging at least 20 minutes per game​

We need to give this team rebuilding process some time. What matters is the payoff at the end. Right now the team is 1/4 of the way there.

I really don't care what the record is this year as long as the team gets rebuilt and good by year 3.

Play the young players so they learn. Winning now means nothing. Work now to win at year 3.
I read a win-loss- simulation for the Big Ten. Minnesota was projected to win 2.2 Big Ten games. So we will say 4 wins. This season is a painful season. We all know what this program is like historically. The hope is to rebuild over a couple years. No such thing as a get great now for this program.

Hope isn’t a plan. Recruits can decommit, freshmen today can transfer, players may not get better… you’re putting a lot on a hope and prayer, which I would be more open to if the basketball was good and effort was there…but losses were due solely to talent gap…but that isn’t the case.

It IS a few 10 point games right now. And competitive Big Ten play in the last 5 games.

If freshmen can do that, they will probably be good players as juniors.

And hopefully our higher-rated recruits are ready as sophomores.
For how many minutes they play they should have 10 point games here and there, doesn’t really mean anything

Hope isn’t a plan. Recruits can decommit, freshmen today can transfer, players may not get better… you’re putting a lot on a hope and prayer, which I would be more open to if the basketball was good and effort was there…but losses were due solely to talent gap…but that isn’t the case.
Complaining isn't a plan either.

If we're good in 2 years...I'm going to rub all your faces in it...game by game.
These are all the same guys that were complaining for years under Pitino even as we were headed to the round of 32 in 2019. If we were heading into our second final four in a row they would be complaining about the coach. They are not wrong about many topics we are discussing but complaining here is just unpaid therapy for them (after all, therapy can be expensive).

My advice is to not wait - make fun of them now.

These are all the same guys that were complaining for years under Pitino even as we were headed to the round of 32 in 2019. If we were heading into our second final four in a row they would be complaining about the coach. They are not wrong about many topics we are discussing but complaining here is just unpaid therapy for them (after all, therapy can be expensive).

My advice is to not wait - make fun of them now.
I was not complaining at that time, but the fact Pitino was fired for coaching poorly 2 seasons later pretty much vindicates their sentiment. Not sure how that can be spun any differently.

It generates negativity. Because that's good for a developing program👍
Do you think this board's negativity impacts the team's chakra?

It has no impact on a developing team.

However, it can generate change which can be good for a floundering team.

Maybe I just don't get it because I am a guy. If you get a real plan together LMK.
I don't think it's your masculinity causing you to miss the point.

I don't have a plan, I wasn't hired to turn the program around. Either were you and absolutely nothing you do is going to impact their ability to turn it around.

That said, if fans are rightfully negative about floundering teams it can prompt needed change. I'm not at that point yet, but it's a fact that fan negativity is about one of the only things we do that can ever generate action (ie firing the coach).

Do you think this board's negativity impacts the team's chakra?

It has no impact on a developing team.

However, it can generate change which can be good for a floundering team.
Generate change? You think the team needs you to tell them they're not playing well? Or do you think Coyle scours this site waiting to pull the trigger on CBJ when it seems that GH posters have had enough?

Generate change? You think the team needs you to tell them they're not playing well? Or do you think Coyle scours this site waiting to pull the trigger on CBJ when it seems that GH posters have had enough?
Oh wow, I hope you're doing that whole thing where you pretend to not understand the point.

I think GH is a representation of the Gopher fandom and I think if/when the fans completely turn on a coach, it makes it a little harder for an administration to keep them employed. Clearly, I don't think a negative post on GH is going to cost Ben Johnson his job. However, empty arenas and a fan base that has lost confidence in the coach definitely could.

So the critical posts on GH are a symptom of an ailment - a coach who lost fanbase.

Do I think we're there yet? Nope. Do I think we will be next year barring significant improvement? Yep.

You don't think the fandom's response to a coach influences hiring/firing decisions? Or are you going to keep pretending to miss the point?

Top Bottom