STrib: Gophers QB Leidner tries to build on positives

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

Mitch Leidner stayed awake into the wee hours last Friday morning, dissecting video of the previous night’s loss to TCU.

By the time the junior met with Gophers quarterbacks coach Jim Zebrowski, Leidner came prepared with his own critique, along with a game plan for this Saturday’s opponent, Colorado State.

“Coach Z said it was more of an interaction, rather than a coach talking, player listening, in the film session,” offensive coordinator Matt Limegrover said. “Those are all signs of a guy maturing in all areas, and there were some things [Leidner] wasn’t very happy with.”

http://www.startribune.com/notes-gophers-qb-leidner-tries-to-build-on-positives/326520971/

Go Gophers!!

bronco.jpg

This will not be popular but I'm here to tell you Mitch will have a huge season if he stays healthy. I was at the TCU game and he made me uncomfortable but upon further review, the offensive line let him down. Go Mitch. Go Gophers.

View attachment 3793

This will not be popular but I'm here to tell you Mitch will have a huge season if he stays healthy. I was at the TCU game and he made me uncomfortable but upon further review, the offensive line let him down. Go Mitch. Go Gophers.

No worries, Bronco, there are plenty on this forum who share your opinion. It's just the vitriol of his detractors that makes it seem that camp is vast.

View attachment 3793

I don't think he'll have a "huge" season but I agree with your sentiments. He's been a good team leader and he was adequate overall last year. I think he will be better this year. I'm a little more concerned about the mix of other offensive weapons at this point. Leidner was actually better than average at throwing long bombs but I don't see much in the way of deep threats on the depth chart at this point.

Mitch should be better, he'll never be Drew Brees, but we don't need him to be.

I'm hoping to see some down field throws vs CSU

Positives like the fact that on some of his missed throws he threw them so badly not even the defense could catch them? JK! I'm predicting he'll look great the next three games and we won't hear anymore about him until we lose a big 10 game.

No worries, Bronco, there are plenty on this forum who share your opinion. It's just the vitriol of his detractors that makes it seem that camp is vast.

I was at the TCU game and thought Leidner did a nice job against a highly ranked defense; that was until I came home and read Gopherhole.

This brings up an interesting topic. What do folks think about ML7 and his potential. Not sure I have seen it discussed on here before, but could be fun to get some opinions out there. Anyone have any thoughts on ML7 and our QB situation?

I don't think he'll have a "huge" season but I agree with your sentiments. He's been a good team leader and he was adequate overall last year. I think he will be better this year. I'm a little more concerned about the mix of other offensive weapons at this point. Leidner was actually better than average at throwing long bombs but I don't see much in the way of deep threats on the depth chart at this point.

Isaiah Gentry should be back by Kent State which will give us a solid deep threat and KJ Maye is always going deep, but ML7 couldn't get it to KJ against TCU. In my opinion Mitch caused KJ's pass interference because it was so poorly thrown. Leidner also had some throws where the football was literally spinning forward...Mitchy is not as bad as people make him out to be but he certainly has his fair share of "What the F are you doing?" moments.

Mitchy is not as bad as people make him out to be but he certainly has his fair share of "What the F are you doing?" moments.

Unquestionably true. I can only keep the faith that he will have fewer of those moments this year. Agree about Maye (he was the only deep threat I could see) and I'm glad to hear about Gentry.

Honestly, I thought we had "Good Mitch" against TCU. I thought he made a number of great throws all night, but numerous times (at least 4 or 5), he had a WR drop passes right in there hands. The guy can't throw AND catch the ball. Yes, he had some bad passes, but Mitch isn't going to be dropping the ball on a dime all game either. I would say 80% of his throws from Thursday were right on the money.

I will take the Mitch we had Thursday night every game this year as long as the WR's are not dropping some of the good throws he made like Thursday.

I will take the Mitch we had Thursday night every game this year as long as the WR's are not dropping some of the good throws he made like Thursday.
+1 And TE's not dropping as well

This brings up an interesting topic. What do folks think about ML7 and his potential. Not sure I have seen it discussed on here before, but could be fun to get some opinions out there. Anyone have any thoughts on ML7 and our QB situation?
I was at the TCU game and thought Leidner did a nice job against a highly ranked defense; that was until I came home and read Gopherhole.
There were times in the last couple of years when Gopher games had my stomach churning: near miss plays, unbelievable official's calls, fluke good plays by the other team, and knowing that GH was brewing up a big batch of negativity. Even as the eternal optimist in thinking we'd beat TCU, I'm having a great week with lots of laughs. There are some very clever folks here, and a lot of good insight. I'm learning to not let the ridiculous bad stuff bother me...as much. lol

Maybe the most important play of the game was Mitch getting blindsided in the first quarter.

Maybe the most important play of the game was Mitch getting blindsided in the first quarter.

Agreed. When Lauer was in the game, it was pretty apparent very quickly that he was not ready to be in. The DE's were just blowing right by him. Hopefully he can get back up to 100% soon, because he is a pretty darn good OT when healthy.

Agreed. When Lauer was in the game, it was pretty apparent very quickly that he was not ready to be in. The DE's were just blowing right by him. Hopefully he can get back up to 100% soon, because he is a pretty darn good OT when healthy.
Do players with preseason knee injuries ever really get back to health during the season. I can't remember the injury that kept him out of half the games last year. With JJ and Campion having concussions, and Gentry out, this has already been a pretty unlucky year in the training room.

So much so that one has to question why he was in there. Did it really take game action to see how he had no chance to react?

So much so that one has to question why he was in there. Did it really take game action to see how he had no chance to react?

I did not quite understand the situation with his knee injury, so when he went out the first time I was pretty pleased to see him out there. After about two snaps, it was apparent he was not ready to be back to full speed football yet. Even the coaches eluded to that after the game. So, I am not sure what they would have saw in practice that made them think he was ready. Or, maybe they weren't overly comfortable yet with other options for LT until they shifted Pirsig over? Who knows.

Oselund better have his nose deep into the playbook. He needs snaps in practice too. I hope Lauer and Campion aren't nagged by these injuries all year. Mayes needs to show his bad attitude at RG in the meantime.

Big 10 wins

All that matters is this game, this week against Colorado State, a win and the game gets Mitch ready for the Big 10 season. Because as you all know Big 10 WINS matters and only Big 10 Wins all you Biotches!
Big 10 wins baby. Go Gophers

Wondering the same thing. Doesn't say much about our d-ends if the coaches thought Lauer would be serviceable based on practice (kidding...not ripping on our DL, I like their potential...but curious what the coaches saw going into the game)

Top Bottom