STrib: Gophers men's basketball team can't wait to unveil redshirt freshman Kadyn Betts

Who missed this worse, Ben or Marcus?
or does go to show how bad Ben is at talent evaluations or his talent development?

per Marcus:

Kadyn Betts arrived with the Gophers as a four-star recruit who skipped his senior year of high school to to get a head start on his college basketball career.

A 6-8, 215-pound Colorado native, Betts redshirted in his first year with Gophers coach Ben Johnson. But being on the sidelines didn't keep him from taking advantage of his freshman year.

"This last season was huge for me in being able to grow all the parts of my game," Betts told the Star Tribune. "Almost every single day I was able to get my body bigger. I've been able to get my shot down and became more of an elite shooter. I worked on my ball handling and grew my knowledge of the game."

Betts physically resembles a Big Ten forward now after gaining strength and putting on 15 pounds to his athletic frame since last summer. He wants to get to 225 pounds by the start of next season, when his talent could be enough to get him in the Gophers' rotation as a redshirt freshman.

The U coaching staff noticed Betts challenging teammates more and more offensively on the scout team in practice at the end of the season. And "we were like, 'Wow we got something here,' " Johnson said.

"He had spurts where he looked good," Johnson said. "You can see him physically being able to score on guys because his body's matured. Because he took advantage of the weight room. You can see him understanding how to get open and how hard you got to cut and move and read screens. So, he had practices where he played really well."

so let me see - a college Coach Hyped a young player that - so far - has not turned out to be as good as advertised.

I'm Shocked! this has never happened before.

and I still believe that Athan Kaliakmanis has the potential to be an NFL draft pick.

----
just once before I die, I want to see a coach come out and say "yeah, I though Joe Blow was going to be good, but he just didn't pan out. I sure screwed up when I offered that kid a scholarship."

I just don’t understand the purpose of the coach bragging up Betts and Ihnen. Clearly neither are what the coach said they were or even close to it. He see’s them in practice so either he lied about both for some unknown purpose or doesn’t know how to evaluate talent. It isn’t injuries because if anything Ihnen has only gotten healthier since last year.

Who missed this worse, Ben or Marcus?
or does go to show how bad Ben is at talent evaluations or his talent development?
So, you decided to dig through to find a thread that had not had a comment in 9 months just to shit on the coach and the player.

Cool. Super cool.

What did you expect him to say?

"We coaches always have players who ride the bench...and Betts & Ihnen are those guys. They'll never amount to anything."

No. There are other options besides over the top lying/optimism and telling the truth.

“We really think Ihnen can contribute with his length and experience”

“Betts is young but talented. Hopefully it can translate into some valuable minutes for us”

There. At 11:23pm on a Sunday I did better than the head coach did.

What did you expect him to say?

"We coaches always have players who ride the bench...and Betts & Ihnen are those guys. They'll never amount to anything."
“Betts is dominating Battle in practice to the point that Jamison has lost his confidence. I expect Battle to go pro or portal so that he doesn’t have to compete with him anymore.”

I remember what people say, too.

Only the truest CBJ haters would read that article as Ben "hyping or bragging up" Betts.

So, you decided to dig through to find a thread that had not had a comment in 9 months just to shit on the coach and the player.

Cool. Super cool.
Not at all. My intent was simply to ask, where is Betts?

I want to see him play. I've said this before on this board, why would a kid reclassify, then redshirt and then not see the court. Remember, he was a 4* player, according to Marcus.

I feel like every time I hear Ben speak it’s something’s he said before over the course of last three years. This kid is face of program etc, this year it’s Dawson next year it will be Asuma. Betts needs another year of development, Ihnen still coming off surgery give it time.

Top Bottom