STrib: Gophers men's basketball roster has entirely different look after transfer portal exodus

Purdue who made the Final Four? Mmm hmmm.
This off-season is when some teams like the Gophers officially became farm-teams. The bidding on players is picking up.

Purdue managed to keep Edey last year. But going forward it might be different.

This off-season is when some teams like the Gophers officially became farm-teams. The bidding on players is picking up.

Purdue managed to keep Edey last year. But going forward it might be different.
Go take a look at some of the money flowing into the Texas Tech athletic department. You can bet similar money is flowing into their NIL funds as well. If there was a similar thing happening at Minnesota would you still be railing like you are. College sports like pro sports is entertainment. If you are as emotionally invested as you seem to be, good luck keeping your blood pressure down. I’m 58 , it’s entertainment to me. I wish we had a better setup but the reality of it is, this is where we are, chill out, your going to explode if you don’t.

There's the big-money teams.

There's the average-money teams.

And there's the farm-teams.

Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Northwestern, & I think Purdue are the Big 10 farm-teams.

I probably would add Penn State and Rutgers to the farm team list.

Money may correlate with recruiting stars and stars may correlate with winning but, in the real world, the correlation is far from perfect. Michigan may have been viewed as having a better roster than us on paper this past season and they finished last. Ohio State clearly would have been viewed in the preseason as having a better roster than us and they finished with the same conference record. Meanwhile, Northwestern's "farm" team finished in the top four of the conference two years in a row and won an NCAA tournament game each time.

No he doesn't. In fact, it's idiotic. Although it's the majority opinion on here.

Our 3 starters that left just became valuable during the last season. Next season would have been the one to win big.

This board seems like a bit. Trying to stay positive...I can understand. But I don't like the negativity & heaping all the blame on the coach.
Dude, you can do mental gymnastics all you want but think about how ridiculous you sound.

They played so well that they earned big money to leave but the following season is when the expectations should come? Not the previous one where they played well enough to earn these valuable deals?

I get it, Ben is related to you and that's ok, but you sound ridiculous.

So the portal doesn’t actually close? Wasn’t there a deadline to enter?
I think he entered before the May 1 deadline and since he didn't make a final committment yet, he is still in the portal.
That's my guess....

I think he entered before the May 1 deadline and since he didn't make a final committment yet, he is still in the portal.
That's my guess....
He looks like a poor man’s Ken Evans.

Go take a look at some of the money flowing into the Texas Tech athletic department. You can bet similar money is flowing into their NIL funds as well. If there was a similar thing happening at Minnesota would you still be railing like you are. College sports like pro sports is entertainment. If you are as emotionally invested as you seem to be, good luck keeping your blood pressure down. I’m 58 , it’s entertainment to me. I wish we had a better setup but the reality of it is, this is where we are, chill out, your going to explode if you don’t.
I'm fine...but thanks. I've already said I'm not going to watch any games this year...and I'm going to increase my own gym.

It seems to me like you guys are the ones under duress. Having to bend over, take it, ENJOY IT, and say "please can I have another".

I suppose if you enter the portal a commitment is only verbal until you actually enroll in the next school. If he hasn't enrolled at FAU he may technically still be in the portal.
Evans signed here and then still left there’s nothing actually official other than college players are officially getting paid and moving around wherever they want

Dude, you can do mental gymnastics all you want but think about how ridiculous you sound.

They played so well that they earned big money to leave but the following season is when the expectations should come? Not the previous one where they played well enough to earn these valuable deals?

I get it, Ben is related to you and that's ok, but you sound ridiculous.
Players are paid based upon their projected value for the upcoming season. NOT for how well they did the previous season.

And in college, players are young and new to playing against this competition. The coach puts them in anyway to develop them. Once they start to play well...there are still going to be ups & downs. It's the FOLLOWING season when they often start to play very well consistently.

We may not have enough $$$$$$$$$ for Ken Evans Jr., but I hope we can afford a good big wing from somewhere
Yeah I don't know why his name keeps being mentioned on here.

I remember way back that his stats looked very good...and he had big-money schools on his list. So I crossed him off of our list immediately.

Top Bottom