STrib: Gophers men's basketball roster has entirely different look after transfer portal exodus

He was a young first-time head coach who inherited an empty roster. So I wouldn't obsess over the first 2 years' won-loss record.

He put together a valuable team that just got put up for public auction.
You seem to agree that this year will be rough. So say he goes 6-14. Four years, 21-65. You give him year 5?

You seem to agree that this year will be rough. So say he goes 6-14. Four years, 21-65. You give him year 5?
It doesn't matter who the coach is under these circumstances.

I was really looking forward to this year. But now I'm going to have to hear what a bum Ben is all year long. It's going to be nauseating.

Oh...when you quote Ben's record his first 2 years as a head coach after inheriting nothing...I'll quote the team he put together.

2 starters worth $500K+ per year.
2 starters worth $750K+ per year.

And the 5th starter has the potential to be good too.

Oh...when you quote Ben's record his first 2 years as a head coach after inheriting nothing...I'll quote the team he put together.

LOL

If that's how you rate Big 10 coaches, Ben is definitely in dead last.

The NIL dollar value of the rosters we have put together is absolutely dwarfed by every Big 10 team.

I notice you didn't answer the question. What does Ben have to do to get year 5?

The NIL dollar value of the rosters we have put together is absolutely dwarfed by every Big 10 team.
Attention K Mart shoppers! Bargain players on aisle 3!

I'm not talking about his first 2 years as a head coach after inheriting an empty roster.

I'm talking about the team he had assembled now. With zero financial help (unlike the coaches you think are great). Which would have been very good this coming year.

There's no disagreeing or arguing on this board. Everyone is the same.

Win and the coach is a genius. Lose and the coach is a bum. No matter what the circumstances...literally.

A great team getting put up for auction...is still all Ben's fault. Nobody here has a brain.
A great team? Wow......is this a bit?

A great team? Wow......is this a bit?
It really seems like a bit how nobody cares that we lost our team.

We improved a lot...were set to return everyone...but nobody cares. Nobody knows how teams like that improve even more. They're all stuck on the bit that the coach is terrible.

Nobody cares means nobody is suffering.
Sounds like good news...

It really seems like a bit how nobody cares that we lost our team.

We improved a lot...were set to return everyone...but nobody cares. Nobody knows how teams like that improve even more. They're all stuck on the bit that the coach is terrible.
Hmm, can it not be both? He is in over his head AND he got dealt a bad hand?

I cannot believe the excuses ya'll create for this guy on here

He had a guy who will be drafted, an all big ten guy, and two outgoing transfers that demanded big $ on open market. Still couldn't win......

He had a guy who will be drafted, an all big ten guy, and two outgoing transfers that demanded big $ on open market. Still couldn't win......
Is this a bit?

You don't win big when your valuable players are in their first years. He'd have won big this coming year if we'd have kept the team.

Hmmm…. You make a good argument.

Hmmm…. You make a good argument.
No he doesn't. In fact, it's idiotic. Although it's the majority opinion on here.

Our 3 starters that left just became valuable during the last season. Next season would have been the one to win big.

This board seems like a bit. Trying to stay positive...I can understand. But I don't like the negativity & heaping all the blame on the coach.

No he doesn't. In fact, it's idiotic. Although it's the majority opinion on here.

Our 3 starters that left just became valuable during the last season. Next season would have been the one to win big.

This board seems like a bit. Trying to stay positive...I can understand. But I don't like the negativity & heaping all the blame on the coach.
Why hold the coach of the team accountable for his own program when you can blame the real culprit, the Governor of California?

Why hold the coach of the team accountable for his own program when you can blame the real culprit, the Governor of California?
Well he worked for years on his lawsuit against the NCAA and the so-called Fair Play Act.

Then he gave 2 minutes of lip-service and sent a tweet lamenting how the Pac-12 disintegrated...as if he likes college football & basketball.

Well he worked for years on his lawsuit against the NCAA and the so-called Fair Play Act.

Then he gave 2 minutes of lip-service and sent a tweet lamenting how the Pac-12 disintegrated...as if he likes college football & basketball.
This was probably inevitable and ultimately decided by the Supreme Court not the governor of California.

I notice you didn't answer the question. What does Ben have to do to get year 5?

Good question even at this point of the offseason so I'll bite. I think he has to win 20 regular season games (20-11). I suppose if he reaches 20 or 21 wins in the Big Ten tournament that would be sufficient. Any head coach has to show within a reasonable period of time that this threshold can be crossed. Even considering the circumstances, I think four years is a reasonable amount of time.

I think this target is fair and possible even if it doesn't appear particularly likely at this point.

If I were Ben, I would be filling that 13th scholarship with any player that could help. His job is on the line.
I think he left it open for Cam and will fill it once he doesn’t come back.

Last edited:

I think he left it open for Cam and will fill it once he doesn’t come back.
If he fills it with a walk-on, that will be a tragic waste. If he fills it with a valuable portal transfer (Ken Evans Jr for example) it could be a season changer!

If he fills it with a walk-on, that will be a tragic waste. If he fills it with a valuable portal transfer (Ken Evans Jr for example) it could be a season changer!
Well now that Cam has made it official that he is staying in the draft I guess we will find out pretty quickly what the team intends to do with that final spot.

He'd have won big this coming year if we'd have kept the team.

Relatively few coaches these days are going to be able to keep their teams intact. I felt that the coach had unusually difficult circumstances in his first two off seasons but what he faced in this one isn't so unusual now. He gave it a pretty good shot this offseason in assembling a team. We'll see if he can make it work well enough to survive. Way too early in my view to go all doom and gloom.

Relatively few coaches these days are going to be able to keep their teams intact. I felt that the coach had unusually difficult circumstances in his first two off seasons but what he faced in this one isn't so unusual now. He gave it a pretty good shot this offseason in assembling a team. We'll see if he can make it work well enough to survive. Way too early in my view to go all doom and gloom.
There's the big-money teams.

There's the average-money teams.

And there's the farm-teams.

Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Northwestern, & I think Purdue are the Big 10 farm-teams.

There's the big-money teams.

There's the average-money teams.

And there's the farm-teams.

Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Northwestern, & I think Purdue are the Big 10 farm-teams.
Purdue who made the Final Four? Mmm hmmm.

Top Bottom