STrib: Gophers men's basketball roster has entirely different look after transfer portal exodus

Is that supposed to be a logical argument stating that I am wrong?
Or is that supposed to be a logical argument stating that you are right?
Or is it just nonsense?
It's a joke. Lighten up.

I'm sure we'll sure that last scholarship used in late May or June will end up being our best player. No worries.

I don't disagree with your theory. the question is putting that theory into practice.

just trying to be realistic here: The Gophers don't have a lot of NIL, and at this point, I have to assume that most of that NIL is spoken for. I just can't imagine that they're holding back a big chunk of NIL for some hypothetical player.

and also, the available players are getting picked over like a big box store on Black Friday.

so, are the Gophers realistically going to be able to locate a player who is better than any of the top 8 currently on the roster --- convince that player to come to MN --- and have enough NIL available to close the sale? I think that is a long shot, at best.

sure, if they can find some guy who is good enough to come in here and elevate the roster, and that player is willing to commit to MN, go for it. I just don't like the odds of that happening.
Ok, that is a good argument with which I disagree.
I think that IF Ken Evans Jr. wants to transfer in, but MUST WAIT UNTIL CHRISTIE DECLARES FOR THE NBA DRAFT TO DO SO, It all makes sense to me. I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING FOR SURE, but neither does anyone else in the gopherhole.

I think that IF Ken Evans Jr. wants to transfer in, but MUST WAIT UNTIL CHRISTIE DECLARES FOR THE NBA DRAFT TO DO SO, It all makes sense to me. I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING FOR SURE, but neither does anyone else in the gopherhole.
Perhaps if you use more caps on your posts the message will come across clearer to us about Evans.

It's a joke. Lighten up.

I'm sure we'll sure that last scholarship used in late May or June will end up being our best player. No worries.
You are right.
I need to lighten up.
I guess that being accused of Hopium overdose, I started to think I was going to end up facing drug charges for a phony drug.
I apologize!

The 13th scholarship CHRONOLOGICALLY is not necessarily given to a scrub.
It could go to your best player (Christie or his last minute replacement at the 3)
To not award it to a contributing player is not smart, unless there is no other choice.

Did you happen to see the quote from Calipari? He said he was going to recruit 8, 9, or 10 scholarship players and fill in the rest with walk-ons, preferably graduate students, who can play at a decent level. He took over a team with a mass exodus but he is one of the best recruiters in the nation. I suspect he will have 10 scholarship players but the point is that it doesn't make sense to spread the precious NIL money among 13 players these days.

If I were Ben, I would be filling that 13th scholarship with any player that could help. His job is on the line.
From this site his job isn’t on the line. There is a contingent that thinks this run has been fantastic.

But yes, everyone else in the world needs to see a tourney trip this year.

Seriously. Why with your job on the line would you not fill out the roster and get the best player you can? Wait for Christie (if he hasn't already told Ben its hopeless) and then take the best available fit.
You're still talking about coaching??

From this site his job isn’t on the line. There is a contingent that thinks this run has been fantastic.

But yes, everyone else in the world needs to see a tourney trip this year.
Are you getting PJ Fleck and Ben Johnson confused? If your post was just the first line I would think you meant to post that on the football board in the Fleck hotseat thread.....at least there it would make some sense because his job isn't on the line and there are many of us that are very happy with the job he has done at Minnesota.

But then you included the line about the tournament which would imply that you believe that first line applies to how some feel about Ben and his run here to this point. I mean look....you can always find someone here that will say something stupid (like implying there is a contingent that think Ben has done a fantastic job)..... but outside of a crazy poster or two where is this contingent that you speak of?

I'll save you some time......it doesn't exist.

Are you getting PJ Fleck and Ben Johnson confused? If your post was just the first line I would think you meant to post that on the football board in the Fleck hotseat thread.....at least there it would make some sense because his job isn't on the line and there are many of us that are very happy with the job he has done at Minnesota.

But then you included the line about the tournament which would imply that you believe that first line applies to how some feel about Ben and his run here to this point. I mean look....you can always find someone here that will say something stupid (like implying there is a contingent that think Ben has done a fantastic job)..... but outside of a crazy poster or two where is this contingent that you speak of?

Avoiding looking in the mirror.

Calling Dakota and johnnyboy crazy because they like Ben isn't very nice.

Let me know if you can find a post of mine where I said Ben has done a fantastic job.
Never trust your memory on a website used by senile old people like me.....as an example......

Let me know if you can find a post of mine where I said Ben has done a fantastic job.
I feel like you told me no coach could have won more games this year with this team. That would usually imply Ben did fantastic with the guys he had. I stand corrected and will remember you feel Ben has not been fantastic. My apologies.

Calling Dakota and johnnyboy crazy because they like Ben isn't very nice.
Those two might not be negative enough for some of you (I know I'm not) but neither of them has been singing Ben's praises either.

There has never been a Ben Johnson fan club. There has been those that have been willing to give him a chance and there are those that gave up on him the moment he was hired. Even those willing to give him a chance feel strongly that the team needs to make the NCAA tournament this season for him to keep his job.

Still waiting for examples of the contingent of posters saying that Johnson has done a fantastic job over his 3 years here. They must post on a different board because they definitely don't post here.

I feel like you told me no coach could have won more games this year with this team. That would usually imply Ben did fantastic with the guys he had. I stand corrected and will remember you feel Ben has not been fantastic. My apologies.
Completely made up

Those two might not be negative enough for some of you (I know I'm not) but neither of them has been singing Ben's praises either.

There has never been a Ben Johnson fan club. There has been those that have been willing to give him a chance and there are those that gave up on him the moment he was hired. Even those willing to give him a chance feel strongly that the team needs to make the NCAA tournament this season for him to keep his job.

Still waiting for examples of the contingent of posters saying that Johnson has done a fantastic job over his 3 years here. They must post on a different board because they definitely don't post here.
Mennesota "got banned for being too positive", his words not mine.

If there is a hint of truth to this the MN HC is not up to the job.

Coach Ben Johnson Protection Detail, began the day he was announced as coach of Mn and continues today led by Mnvcguy and jbag.

No one thinks this run has been fantastic, twerp. Good God, you're a smug mediocrity.
I agree I do not think his run is fantastic however his 1st year he was faced with a mass exodus of Pitino recruited players, his 2nd year was poor, and this year was promising until again another mass exodus.
I know his transfer portal class is not rated high however I like how the players he got fit together with his recruits and the players that stayed.
Let's let them toss up the ball and see if this group can play and Ben can coach!
I think they may just surprise us!

Hard to lose all the players. But Payne and Hawkins are the only two they will miss. And Carrington and JOJ leaving may be a blessing with what we are hearing about their locker room dissection. I like all the players he has added. Several of them played quality starting minutes at their old programs. They have experience. Then the freshman…..Asuma will take time but I believe he is going to be good. I believe this team will be better than last year.

Christie is gone to the NBA. Not official yet but he's not coming back to college ball.

Top Bottom