STrib: Despite departures, Gophers look promising at running back

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

With spring practice a little more than a week old, the Gophers are adjusting to the changes at running backs, and Ciarrocca is confident things will work out.

"I don't worry because they're in great hands with Kenni Burns,'' Ciarrocca said, referring to the Gophers running back coach. "They'll continue to get better every day.''

* Ibrahim, the 2020 Big Ten Running Back of the Year, is trying to return to the form that saw him average 153.7 rushing yards per game in the COVID-19-shortened 2020 season. During spring practice, he's working out before dawn on his own and working on the sideline during practice as he observes the Islamic holiday of Ramadan in which he'll fast from sunup to sundown each day.

* Potts took over as the Gophers feature back last year after Ibrahim's injury, rushing for 552 yards and six TDs in five games. He has not been cleared for contact but has looked sharp in non-contact practice reps.

* Fifth-year player Bryce Williams started three games last year before suffering a lower-leg injury and missing the final five games of the season. He's back healthy.

"Mo and Trey are doing fine,'' Ciarrocca said. "Bryce is doing fine. They're all getting better.''

With Ibrahim and Potts limited, the bulk of the carries during Tuesday's practice that was open to the media went to Williams, redshirt freshman Jordan Nubin, redshirt sophomore Kendall Moore and true freshman Zach Evans.

An early enrollee out of Rockwall-Heath (Texas) High School, the 5-10, 205-pound Evans quickly has caught his coordinator's attention.

"The kid I didn't know anything about was the freshman, Zach,'' Ciarrocca said. "I'm very, very impressed with his potential, how good a back he might be able to be someday.''

Go Gophers!!

Wasn't Zach injured his senior year?? I thought I heard that somewhere...

The more tidbits like this coming out, the more obvious the reasons for the recent transfers out become clear. Still wish they would have stayed though.

He is probably big enough to run inside and quick with his cuts/fast on the outside.
=Bucky & Ky hybrid

He is probably big enough to run inside and quick with his cuts/fast on the outside.
=Bucky & Ky hybrid

And my friend, he was the tenth rated RB in the NATION per Rivals and honed his 🏈 skills in the highly competitive world of Friday Night Lights of Texas

If Evans is getting meaningful carries this year, I fear it's not going to be a good thing.
It may mean there's been a few injuries (which wouldn't be a good thing), but no reason a freshman RB can't produce.

If Evans is getting meaningful carries this year, I fear it's not going to be a good thing.
All depends on the reason he is getting carries. If he is forced into duty because of injury then yeah that would not be a good thing. If he is too good to keep off the field that is a different story.

Best case scenario is that we don't need him this year and he is ready to hit the ground running (pun intended) in 2023.

Best case scenario is that we don't need him this year and he is ready to hit the ground running (pun intended) in 2023.
Bingo. If Mo and Potts are healthy and playing as they can, Evans should be getting mop up duty. It would actually be disappointing IMO to see him get meaningful carries knowing 2 talented RB left seemingly under the impression those carries wouldn't be available.

I may be wrong, but I suspect that the Gophers - especially early in the season - are going to be keeping Mo and Potts' touches on a "pitch count."

If Mo comes out and runs the ball 25+ times in the season opener, I will be surprised. And frankly, I will be upset with the coaches.

If the Gophers run the ball 45 times in a game, my blueprint would be Mo 18, Potts 14, Williams 8, Evans 5.

As you said last year, if Potts, Williams, Thomas, or Irving are getting meaningful carries it can't be a good thing.

All depends on the reason he is getting carries. If he is forced into duty because of injury then yeah that would not be a good thing. If he is too good to keep off the field that is a different story.

Never forget a few games into the 2015 season when Old Jer said, "Shannon Brooks (a true freshman) is too good to be standing next to me."

Sure enough, Jer threw him out there and Brooks proved him right.

I think you can still spot him some PT and garbage carries

Bingo. If Mo and Potts are healthy and playing as they can, Evans should be getting mop up duty. It would actually be disappointing IMO to see him get meaningful carries knowing 2 talented RB left seemingly under the impression those carries wouldn't be available.

Williams is a capable back. Red shirt Evans.

Williams is a capable back. Red shirt Evans.
Wouldn't that be nice. Have a great backfield this year, and next year trot Evans out there to lead the BIG in yards, TDs, and pancakes on blitz blocks. Give him his 4 games this year to get his feet wet and next year take over. Of course, I have no idea remaining eligibility of Potts/Williams (or even MO for that matter).

Wouldn't that be nice. Have a great backfield this year, and next year trot Evans out there to lead the BIG in yards, TDs, and pancakes on blitz blocks. Give him his 4 games this year to get his feet wet and next year take over. Of course, I have no idea remaining eligibility of Potts/Williams (or even MO for that matter).

Too lazy to look it up, but I believe Potts has at least one more year, maybe two, of eligibility after this season?

I wonder if it even pays to play guys for four games now. Seems like if they flash they may be more likely to leave.

I wonder if it even pays to play guys for four games now. Seems like if they flash they may be more likely to leave.
Good point. It also revolves around keeping that player happy. If too much playing time and prove very valuable maybe can be lured away. If not enough playing time, player gets frustrated and leaves. Quite the conundrum.....

Too lazy to look it up, but I believe Potts has at least one more year, maybe two, of eligibility after this season?
He currently has 3 to play 3, so yes two more years of playing eligibility after this season as he redshirted in '19, '20 doesn't exist -- so for all intents and purposes he was a RS FR last year

He currently has 3 to play 3, so yes two more years of playing eligibility after this season as he redshirted in '19, '20 doesn't exist -- so for all intents and purposes he was a RS FR last year

Thanks or the clarification. We're in pretty good shape then with Potts & Evans, plus we'll recruit someone awesome for next year. Losing Bucky that really hurts though. We don't have anyone else like him, and we lose that several dynamics with his departure. Oh well, money talks.

Crazy how that works with the covid year. Listed as a redshirt junior on the roster which used to mean he would have this year and one more. But now that means he has 3 left with that free year in the mix.

So confusing but easiest way to think about it to me seems to be that players from 2020 and earlier have 6 years to play 5 as opposed to 5 years to play 4.

Assume that starting with the 2021 guys we are back to the 5 to play 4 again.

So for Potts
2019 - Redshirt
2020 - Played - 1
2021 - Played - 2
2022 - Eligible - 3
2023 - Eligible - 4
2024 - Eligible - 5

There is an upside and a downside to the intense competition. Mar'Keise Irving hears the footsteps behind him and in front of him.

The key is not to get injured as Donnell Kirkwood did in the Jerry Kill Era. David Cobb took the starter role and never looked back.

Zack Annexstad got hurt twice in the PJ Fleck Era and was unable to unseat Tanner Morgan.

Maybe, it is running back by committee time.

Look - I would love to see Mo Ibrahim come back at 100%.

But - given the nature of his injury, I have to see it to believe it.

Mo at 80% is still a good back - but is he a 25+ carry a game back? I just don't know.

I would much rather see a more equal rotation at RB with 2 or 3 guys all getting regular carries.

Top Bottom