Streveler Transferring

Yep, gotta end it with an insult, eh? You just had to.

Anyways, what I see in the difference is that Max was doing well before he left, Strev wasn't. Maybe Max didn't turn out great, but at least he was playing and completing passes downfield.

8 TDs and 7 INTs. You can't just let production like that walk out the door. Not every quarterback can lead you to a 58-0 loss against Michigan.

NW has won B1G titles before, and that has to help some what.

Both NW and Illinois have some advantage being located in Illinois.

Good points. I suppose if looked at objectively, Illinois would seem like a better state than MN if you didn't know anything about Mpls.

I think you nailed it with the last word, "recruit". JK never recruited a P5 calibur passer. Had JK stayed, it would only be a year or two before we have this same discussion about Tony Poljan. The only one who could consistently hit a WR downfield was Shortell, and JK ran him out of town.

Oh I see. When measuring contributions to the team you have picked Max Shortell as your standard. Max Shortell.

How do schools that are equal or less than us end up with legit passers though? Illinois, Purdue sometimes, NW, etc can get legit passing QBs in the Big Ten. So I'd assume it was more of JK just not wanting to pursue them as hard as he pursued Strev, etc.

The scheme they can sell is a qbs dream. Air raid out of the gun. You can throw 45 times a game. Or you can come to MN and throw it 20 times a game with half of them off play action. For most middling qbs, it's not a hard call

How do schools that are equal or less than us end up with legit passers though? Illinois, Purdue sometimes, NW, etc can get legit passing QBs in the Big Ten. So I'd assume it was more of JK just not wanting to pursue them as hard as he pursued Strev, etc.

You do know that Mitch's QBR was much better than the QBs from the 3 schools you mentioned last year? In fact i believe the QBs from those schools ranked 13-15 in the Big 10

The scheme they can sell is a qbs dream. Air raid out of the gun. You can throw 45 times a game. Or you can come to MN and throw it 20 times a game with half of them off play action. For most middling qbs, it's not a hard call

Interesting that you say this, because you are completely wrong. I did a quick google search "passing attempts per game in Big 10 2015" and the first website listed was ESPN. The Gophers finished 6th in passing attempts throwing the ball427 times or 32.8 attempts per game. More shockingly, it must be very hard for Ohio State to get top rated QBs because they had the least amount of passing attempts.

RK TEAM ATT COMP PCT YDS YDS/A LONG TD INT SACK YDSL RAT YDS/G
1 Illinois 519 285 54.9 2921 5.6 53 16 8 20 -180 109.3 243.4
2 Purdue 504 290 57.5 2847 5.6 83 18 16 30 -173 110.4 237.3
3 Indiana 461 269 58.4 3820 8.3 72 27 8 13 -92 143.8 293.8
4 Nebraska 458 256 55.9 3470 7.6 55 27 21 14 -143 129.8 266.9
5 Michigan State 440 244 55.5 3279 7.5 74 26 8 21 -135 133.9 234.2
6 Minnesota 427 251 58.8 2793 6.5 57 15 11 19 -117 120.2 214.8
7 Wisconsin 419 252 60.1 2968 7.1 45 14 13 24 -162 124.5 228.3
8 Michigan 415 258 62.2 3090 7.4 64 21 10 18 -95 136.6 237.7
9 Penn State 404 215 53.2 2788 6.9 77 20 6 39 -230 124.6 214.5
10 Maryland 387 183 47.3 2092 5.4 70 15 29 25 -152 90.5 174.3
11 Iowa 369 227 61.5 2862 7.8 85 17 5 30 -221 139.2 204.4
12 Northwestern 352 174 49.4 1801 5.1 66 8 13 29 -187 92.5 138.5
13 Rutgers 337 203 60.2 2485 7.4 58 19 12 25 -207 133.7 207.1
14 Ohio State 325 204 62.8 2455 7.6 54 19 9 19 -101 140.0 188.8

The only game Shortell completed at least 60% of his passes, he threw 3 INT.

Good luck to Streveler. No question he's a great athlete.

He strikes me as case in point about the Kill/Limegrover approach on offense. I still say they ran an offense that could be dominant at the MAC level, but needed more than a few tweaks to work in the B1G. Chandler Harnish was a great QB for Kill, but I wonder how he would have fared week in and week out at the B1G level. We'll see what adjustments Claeys and Johnson make. At the B1G level, you really have to be able to throw the ball with some consistency and effectiveness and you have to do that against defenses that are more athletic across-the-board than they are in the MAC.

He strikes me as case in point about the Kill/Limegrover approach on offense. I still say they ran an offense that could be dominant at the MAC level, but needed more than a few tweaks to work in the B1G. Chandler Harnish was a great QB for Kill, but I wonder how he would have fared week in and week out at the B1G level. We'll see what adjustments Claeys and Johnson make. At the B1G level, you really have to be able to throw the ball with some consistency and effectiveness and you have to do that against defenses that are more athletic across-the-board than they are in the MAC.

That's pretty smart. THE JK crew may have arrived in MPLS with their running qb game plan and found out that for numerous reasons it couldn't executed. And we all know JK will hammer away over and over and over and over and over waiting for the cards to come his way. Fully explains Mitch Leidner- calls the plays correctly, hands off a clean ball and might beat the D to the edge on his feet.

You nailed it. The quicker defensive athletes effectively shrink the field. In a game of inches and seconds if you aren't utilizing the whole field/ spreading out th defenders you're playing into the defense's hands. In a game of attrition why allow so many defenders to be around the point of attack.

You do know that Mitch's QBR was much better than the QBs from the 3 schools you mentioned last year? In fact i believe the QBs from those schools ranked 13-15 in the Big 10

He didn't know that.

Yep, gotta end it with an insult, eh? You just had to.

Anyways, what I see in the difference is that Max was doing well before he left, Strev wasn't. Maybe Max didn't turn out great, but at least he was playing and completing passes downfield.

"Just comments on a message board dude." - - I thought that was your thing.

So you're saying, praise Max because he was a better downfield passer than Streveler. So if someone could not be a starter at the U (or an FCS school) but they throw the ball well, they deserve praise. If they couldn't get PT here and they are more of an athletic QC, you mock them.

Seems logical.

Interesting that you say this, because you are completely wrong. I did a quick google search "passing attempts per game in Big 10 2015" and the first website listed was ESPN. The Gophers finished 6th in passing attempts throwing the ball427 times or 32.8 attempts per game. More shockingly, it must be very hard for Ohio State to get top rated QBs because they had the least amount of passing attempts.
Cherry picking one season, where they actually let Mitch air it out because we finally trusted him does indeed make for a way more fun argument (and set aside that we were trailing more often, necessitating passing). But let's just roll back the tape a little farther since last season would only have an impact on the QBs we signed last year and for this coming year.
2014-14th by 60 attempts
2013-12th (only 12 teams) by 90 attempts
2012- 9th
2011- 11th

But year using one season, which should appeal to kids we are recruiting NOW, should help since we finally showed some confidence in our QB and let him air it out. It's the first time sine we had Weber that that's been the case.

Additionally, your last comment on OSU makes zero sense. Top players will always commit to the top programs (obviously hyperbole but maybe this one will get through) because they will get exposure and have the chance to play for championships. Hence why the key operative word was MIDDLING, but that would require reading more closely.

Cherry picking one season, where they actually let Mitch air it out because we finally trusted him does indeed make for a way more fun argument (and set aside that we were trailing more often, necessitating passing). But let's just roll back the tape a little farther since last season would only have an impact on the QBs we signed last year and for this coming year.
2014-14th by 60 attempts
2013-12th (only 12 teams) by 90 attempts
2012- 9th
2011- 11th

But year using one season, which should appeal to kids we are recruiting NOW, should help since we finally showed some confidence in our QB and let him air it out. It's the first time sine we had Weber that that's been the case.

Additionally, your last comment on OSU makes zero sense. Top players will always commit to the top programs (obviously hyperbole but maybe this one will get through) because they will get exposure and have the chance to play for championships. Hence why the key operative word was MIDDLING, but that would require reading more closely.

I stand corrected, I did cherry pick one year, but the most recent year.

Clearly Ohio State will get the pick of QBs, that was internet sarcasm.

Why does the "best passer of the bunch" have a worse career completion percentage and TD/INT ratio than Leidner?

Max is one in a long line of former Gophers that folks remember to be FAR better than they actually were. I call it the DCT syndrome.

Max is one in a long line of former Gophers that folks remember to be FAR better than they actually were. I call it the DCT syndrome.

People remember the Western Michigan game.

Interesting, is there is an opposite syndrome where folks remember players to be far worse than they were? Is so, can I propose to call it the Wheelright syndrome?

Interesting, is there is an opposite syndrome where folks remember players to be far worse than they were? Is so, can I propose to call it the Wheelright syndrome?

My guess is it will be forever known as the ML7 syndrome.

My guess is it will be forever known as the ML7 syndrome.

Wheelwright and Leidner are good choices for this syndrome but I don't see how you could name it after anyone other then Adam Weber.

Wheelwright and Leidner are good choices for this syndrome but I don't see how you could name it after anyone other then Adam Weber.

I see what you did there.

"Just comments on a message board dude." - - I thought that was your thing.

So you're saying, praise Max because he was a better downfield passer than Streveler. So if someone could not be a starter at the U (or an FCS school) but they throw the ball well, they deserve praise. If they couldn't get PT here and they are more of an athletic QC, you mock them.

Seems logical.

First, "insults" are not just comments on a message board. You know that. All you do is try and flame posts or nitpick a post whenever you can.

Second, don't over-read into my comment. The only praise I gave towards Max was that he was a better passer than the other QBs to leave. Period. Doesn't mean he's any good at all.

Edit: bob blah blah blah aint worth the time. Lets keep it professional here ok?

Man, the last Weber debate on here was before I registered. Hope we don't have a new can of worms lol. But I'd have to say Weber too. He looked good in the spread in yr 2, went through heck, but still NFL teams saw something.

Again, do HAVE to nitpick? It's like the other poster who only went back 1 yr. Yeesh. I'd say anyone comparing the passing game of the Gophers versus other B1G teams we want to be on par with, would think those teams pass better.

Feel free to nitpick again though, even though it takes us way off course. Maybe "Yeesh" is spelled wrong above? If so, I'm sure you'll point it out.

Top Bottom