Stephon Sharp commits to the Gophers as a PWO

GameDay

Reaction score
6'4 wing and product of D1 Minnesota. He's one year removed from Hopkins and went the prep school route like Kamali Chambers if I recall correctly. He had a full scholarship offer from Hampton (if 247 is right). Joins Jordan Ruliano as walk-ons in the 2015 class.

That is really cool, awesome news. Although, this likely hurts the chances of another try out and me making the team as a 26 year old grad student.

That is really cool, awesome news. Although, this likely hurts the chances of another try out and me making the team as a 26 year old grad student.

Are you even eligible? How many years have you gone to college?

I remember him. Was he the four man or the five man on the Hopkins team that lost in sections and didn't make it so state two years ago?

I remember him. Was he the four man or the five man on the Hopkins team that lost in sections and didn't make it so state two years ago?

I think Hopkins made it to state two years ago and lost to Macura and Co. in the Class AAAA title game. It was also the same wild tournament that featured Coffey's crazy half-court game-winner and the Kenny Novak stall tactic...
...I think.

Couldn't hurt. An Andre Ingram/Mav level contributor without the scholarship perhaps?

Its always cool when you can get a kid to turn down a scholarship at another school to walk on. That's the definition of a solid walk on.

I think Hopkins made it to state two years ago and lost to Macura and Co. in the Class AAAA title game. It was also the same wild tournament that featured Coffey's crazy half-court game-winner and the Kenny Novak stall tactic...
...I think.

He might of been a junior then. It was the year Amir was a freshman and they lost to Edina in the section championship.

Stephon played on Richard Coffey's Minneapolis Select AAU team w/ my son during the middle school years. Some really great talent on that team w/ probably 4 or 5 of the kids now playing college ball.

This commitment has some hidden positives to it. This, to me, shows that the coaches are connecting locally and building confidence with local coaches and players. It shows creativity and effort. It's tougher to sell a kid on walking on than it is selling schollys. And it bodes well for the future as the staff improves its networking in this area.

What would really bode well for the program is if Amir Coffey becomes a Gopher. Gotta' convince the local studs this is the place to be. Jarvis Johnson is a start in that direction.

What would really bode well for the program is if Amir Coffey becomes a Gopher. Gotta' convince the local studs this is the place to be. Jarvis Johnson is a start in that direction.

So is Hurt, especially when you consider how early he committed.

Love it. The kid definitely looks like he has some polish to his game, for a walk-on.

Love it. The kid definitely looks like he has some polish to his game, for a walk-on.

Watch that video in this thread and tell me if you see him using his left hand literally even one time. There are some laughable right handed layups coming in on the left side of the hoop. Great get being a PWO but not sure if polished is a word I would use. Just my wet blanket opinion.

This commitment has some hidden positives to it. This, to me, shows that the coaches are connecting locally and building confidence with local coaches and players. It shows creativity and effort. It's tougher to sell a kid on walking on than it is selling schollys. And it bodes well for the future as the staff improves its networking in this area.

I had that same thought, but not necessarily on Sharp. Joey, Lofton, Lynch, and maybe Russo. Not sure how, but I think it will help us in the long run.

Love the media and their need to fill content. Has a coach ever told a walk-on he could not earn playing time?

I would certainly hope that any coach's stance regarding any player in their program is that you will play if you outperform the other players at your position (barring some kind of doghouse issue for off the field issues or attitude or something like that).

Watch that video in this thread and tell me if you see him using his left hand literally even one time. There are some laughable right handed layups coming in on the left side of the hoop. Great get being a PWO but not sure if polished is a word I would use. Just my wet blanket opinion.

Agree that he looks very right-handed. Disagree in that I don't see a single case there where he should have used his left hand (one borderline). Just nitpicking, but really he's a walk-on so I don't think we should expect much.

Top Bottom