State of the offense

I wonder how much the Washington receivers cost. Or Ohio State.

Poor Randy Moss. He played for Marshall before NIL. Imagine the payday for someone like that if the NIL portal existed.

going back to the OP -

watching the Bowl Games and comparing those offenses to MN, the one word that really jumped out to me was.....

Creativity.

Creativity is a mindset - a philosophy. It says "we are going to use our personnel in different and creative ways in order to make it harder for the other team to know what's coming."

which is almost the antithesis of the Fleck approach - "do the same thing over and over again."

I always go back to a quote from Tom Kelly. when asked what his role was as Manager of the Twins, Kelly said (paraphrasing) "my job to to put players in a situation where they have the highest possibility of success and the lowest risk of failure."

in other words, if player X doesn't run a certain pass route well, you don't ask him to run that route. you find a different route he runs well and have him do that. and you take that approach to all of your players. don't force a square peg into a round hole just because that's what the scheme says you should do.

blabbity blah

I had a chance to watch parts of a number of bowl games over the past couple of weeks and it really had me thinking about the Gophers offense. Most of us are aware that the stats show that are passing offense is anemic, but watching a wide variety of teams play really hammered home how behind we are in my mind.

Wide Receiver: Maybe even more than QB, it stood out to me how unimpressive our group is compared to other teams around the country. Maybe this is a bad take and poor QB play and/or poor scheme is really making our WR's look worse than they are. I saw a lot of teams with a speed guy that could get behind the defense, I see guys with great burst that get a lot of separation, and I see guys breaking tackles and making explosive plays. I think our receivers post Bateman/Johnson have been OK in the B1G West (behind the groups at Purdue and Nebraska, usually on par or above many other schools) but pretty terrible in relation to big time college football as a whole. I think Daniel Jackson is a great technician and a WR most teams would love to have, but we need some guys who win with speed and quickness too.

Quarterback: I know the story was Cole Kramer was getting married, but this was a long time backup QB who was often our #2 QB who threw for like 28 yards on 16 attempts against a MAC team missing both its starting corners. There were many other teams starting QB's making their first start who had not been in college 4/5 years and they were putting up passing stats that belonged in the 2020's as opposed to the 1920's. Athan's season long struggles were well documented, and Tanner's best year post 2019 could be best described as average. To have a QB room that has been this bad for this long is alarming.

Offensive Line: I thnk our pass protection might be a sneaky big problem with this team in recent seasons. We give up so much pressure and it's especially concerning when it comes on a play action pass that comes in a non-obvious situation. Ersery didn't even lay a hand on a Bowling Green pass rusher on the play that resulted in Kramer's interception. Against Illinois, Carroll had a similar whiff in the red zone that forced us to settle for a FG.

Explosive plays: This could go back to the WR issue and be a talent problem. However even at RB, Taylor ran 35 times against a MAC team and his long run was 17 yards! Against real competition, that's not going to be a winning combination. Our longest play of the game was a Kramer scramble for 33 yards. Watching the top teams play and almost every scoring drive seemingly had a play of 25 plus yards.

Scheme: This has been a constant for a number of years, so I don't want to make this a Harbaugh problem but our playbook seems so limited compared to what you see elsewhere. Some of that could be teams opening it up for a bowl game and another part could be just being very familiar with Minnesota's offense and not so familiar with other teams. When you combine this observation with the fact that we look lost any time we are in a must pass and/or hurry up situation and it concerns me that we're spending a whole lof of time on inside zone and not much time on anything else.

I hope PJ/Harbaugh/Simon don't feel like Max Brosmer will fix all that currently ails us.
Brosmer will fix a lot of that with his accuracy, allowing them to open up the playbook. Everything was compressed last year when they lost trust in AK.

Totally agree - every stud player gets beat from time to time.

In high school, I made multiple solo tackles on a guy who would go on to play D1 football and play in the NFL. Using the same logic, I should have also been in the NFL. Thankfully for my intramural flag football team, I did not have to miss any games because of scheduling conflicts.
You 2?

I had the exact same experience, when I was balling out on here -

1704404617955.jpeg

going back to the OP -

watching the Bowl Games and comparing those offenses to MN, the one word that really jumped out to me was.....

Creativity.

Creativity is a mindset - a philosophy. It says "we are going to use our personnel in different and creative ways in order to make it harder for the other team to know what's coming."

which is almost the antithesis of the Fleck approach - "do the same thing over and over again."

I always go back to a quote from Tom Kelly. when asked what his role was as Manager of the Twins, Kelly said (paraphrasing) "my job to to put players in a situation where they have the highest possibility of success and the lowest risk of failure."

in other words, if player X doesn't run a certain pass route well, you don't ask him to run that route. you find a different route he runs well and have him do that. and you take that approach to all of your players. don't force a square peg into a round hole just because that's what the scheme says you should do.
Speed and quickness, too.

I had a chance to watch parts of a number of bowl games over the past couple of weeks and it really had me thinking about the Gophers offense. Most of us are aware that the stats show that are passing offense is anemic, but watching a wide variety of teams play really hammered home how behind we are in my mind.

Wide Receiver: Maybe even more than QB, it stood out to me how unimpressive our group is compared to other teams around the country. Maybe this is a bad take and poor QB play and/or poor scheme is really making our WR's look worse than they are. I saw a lot of teams with a speed guy that could get behind the defense, I see guys with great burst that get a lot of separation, and I see guys breaking tackles and making explosive plays. I think our receivers post Bateman/Johnson have been OK in the B1G West (behind the groups at Purdue and Nebraska, usually on par or above many other schools) but pretty terrible in relation to big time college football as a whole. I think Daniel Jackson is a great technician and a WR most teams would love to have, but we need some guys who win with speed and quickness too.

Quarterback: I know the story was Cole Kramer was getting married, but this was a long time backup QB who was often our #2 QB who threw for like 28 yards on 16 attempts against a MAC team missing both its starting corners. There were many other teams starting QB's making their first start who had not been in college 4/5 years and they were putting up passing stats that belonged in the 2020's as opposed to the 1920's. Athan's season long struggles were well documented, and Tanner's best year post 2019 could be best described as average. To have a QB room that has been this bad for this long is alarming.

Offensive Line: I thnk our pass protection might be a sneaky big problem with this team in recent seasons. We give up so much pressure and it's especially concerning when it comes on a play action pass that comes in a non-obvious situation. Ersery didn't even lay a hand on a Bowling Green pass rusher on the play that resulted in Kramer's interception. Against Illinois, Carroll had a similar whiff in the red zone that forced us to settle for a FG.

Explosive plays: This could go back to the WR issue and be a talent problem. However even at RB, Taylor ran 35 times against a MAC team and his long run was 17 yards! Against real competition, that's not going to be a winning combination. Our longest play of the game was a Kramer scramble for 33 yards. Watching the top teams play and almost every scoring drive seemingly had a play of 25 plus yards.

Scheme: This has been a constant for a number of years, so I don't want to make this a Harbaugh problem but our playbook seems so limited compared to what you see elsewhere. Some of that could be teams opening it up for a bowl game and another part could be just being very familiar with Minnesota's offense and not so familiar with other teams. When you combine this observation with the fact that we look lost any time we are in a must pass and/or hurry up situation and it concerns me that we're spending a whole lof of time on inside zone and not much time on anything else.

I hope PJ/Harbaugh/Simon don't feel like Max Brosmer will fix all that currently ails us.

History rhymes, courtesy of a close personal friend Mr. Ford

Mr. Speaker, Mr. Vice President, Members of the 94th Congress, and distinguished guests:

Seven years ago, a freshman coach, a young fellow with lots of idealism who was out to change the world, stood before Gopher Nation in the well of the House and solemnly swore to the same oath that all of you took yesterday--an unforgettable experience, and I congratulate you all.

…Today, that freshman Member from Western Michigan stands where Mr. Truman stood, and I must say to you that the state of the Gopher offense is not good: millions of viewers asleep on the couch. Six seasons of meh are eroding the faith of millions more. Passes are too high, and receivers are too slow. This year's NIL budget will be about $30; next year's probably $45. The facilities debt will rise to over $500 billion. Our running back and tight end productivity are not increasing fast enough. We depend on others for serviceable quarterbacks. Some people question their coach’s ability to make in-game decisions and get plays off with over ten seconds on the play clock; they expect second half collapses.

Last edited:

Top Bottom