Star Tribune: Gophers football players plan to threaten boycott of bowl game

Sorry, bud, but you really need to brush up on your constitutional law.

University of Minnesota has code of conduct. This isn't freedom of speech issue. They're allowed to talk. The u is allowed to pull their scholarship

Football scholarships aren't protected by constitutional

I support our players 100% until I see proof. Proof is not someones word against another persons word. If that's all they have then I am boycotting all Minnesota events until Kaler and his stooges are fired. If there was a rape where is the police report or investigation? Why haven't they commented? This seems like a railroad against black players honestly. I'm stopping all donations until the players are reinstated or there is proof the suspension is legit. This **** makes me want to donate to Iowa as a **** you to Kaler. Yes, i'm that upset.

I support our players 100% until I see proof. Proof is not someones word against another persons word. If that's all they have then I am boycotting all Minnesota events until Kaler and his stooges are fired. If there was a rape where is the police report or investigation? Why haven't they commented? This seems like a railroad against black players honestly. I'm stopping all donations until the players are reinstated or there is proof the suspension is legit. This **** makes me want to donate to Iowa as a **** you to Kaler. Yes, i'm that upset.

There was a police investigation. It found there was no chargeable crime.

"The reality is that not everyone can have all of the facts, and unfortunately the University cannot share more information due to federal laws regarding student privacy."

So does the U have facts that the police didn't?

No. Secrecy is a necessity of a kangaroo court.

Please explain what first amendment rights are implicated by a university removing a football player who refuses to play football from the football team.

U is a government entity. Their protest actions are free speech. They have the right to protest (freedom of assembly). Pretty simple. Please be very careful responding without proper knowledge.

There is a police report

Just for clarification

nothing like a transparent administration at the highest levels of the university - total joke

I oppose the players tantrum. Boo hoo, boys. Time to go up and be real men and understand the policy.

U is a government entity. Their protest actions are free speech. They have the right to protest (freedom of assembly). Pretty simple. Please be very careful responding without proper knowledge.

They're a state agency, not a federal. University of Minnesota football scholarships aren't protected by first amendment

Umm, I don't believe the analogy is quite as strong as you seem to imply. In Missouri there were a number of events that created the situation--a perfect storm. In the scenario in Minnesota you have one event.

I also think it is interesting to note that the anti pc crowd was against the students at Missouri. Today, of course, the anti pc crowd is supporting the students.

I would say you have three, maybe four related event here. We'll see how this plays out.

I think what some people are missing is the difference in how the EOAA handled the Wrestling team's Xanax dealing ring compared to the Administration's Kangaroo Court in regards to the sexual assault allegations on the Football team.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

First amendment has opposition and is balanced by other amendments that work in the favor of the U administration. I'ld take that to the bank.

They're a state agency, not a federal. University of Minnesota football scholarships aren't protected by first amendment

I see, so the Constitution doesn't apply to the states. Did not know that.

Thanks for sharing your "knowledge." They have every right to protest. That doesn't insulate them from the consequences of their actions. Are you suggesting that the the players are within their rights to refuse to play football and demand that they remain on an athletic scholarship? That they still get access to their University housing, training table, tutors, etc.? They aren't without rights and they may well have legal recourse, but it isn't based on the First Amendment.

Claeys tweeted out in support of the players. Sorry, can't link the tweet.

You yank the scholarships though and it screams retaliation. It would be a PR disaster.

If they pulled their scholarships, it would probably allow the players to transfer immediately to another university and be eligible to go on scholarship right away.

I see, so the Constitution doesn't apply to the states. Did not know that.

Constitutional applies to federal law, states can't have laws that violates constitution, public agency like the university can have codes of conduct and they can have scholarships that are conditional

The university can't expel a student for saying kaler sucks. They can however revoke scholarships for refusing to play a game they're getting a scholarship for

Thanks for sharing your "knowledge." They have every right to protest. That doesn't insulate them from the consequences of their actions. Are you suggesting that the the players are within their rights to refuse to play football and demand that they remain on an athletic scholarship? That they still get access to their University housing, training table, tutors, etc.? They aren't without rights and they may well have legal recourse, but it isn't based on the First Amendment.

Yup. I think this sounds reasonable. Retaliation is legally relevant in employment situations. The players are not employee's. Further courts distinguish between speech and actions. Actions can be protected if they are expressive. However it doesn't provide blanket protection. The black lives matter protesters are a good example. It was expressive conduct to shut down the highway, however that does not mean they cannot be punished for breaking the law.

The students not practicing and not playing is likely violating the scholarship agreement.

Top Bottom