Star Trib: Gophers to Play at US Bank Stadium

Everyone seems to want Louisville for the Pitino connection, but there's no guarantee Pitino is here after this season.

I think it's going to have to be somewhat of a regional team in order to fill the place. Might as well make it a blue blood and invite Kansas up.

It is about time that people get over this "Pitino is going to get fired" crap. It has been proven he knows how to coach basketball, and with the recruits that he is getting, he isn't going anywhere. He has gone through some growing pains and is now ready to compete in the B1G.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is about time that people get over this "Pitino is going to get fired" crap. It has been proven he knows how to coach basketball, and with the recruits that he is getting, he isn't going anywhere. He has gone through some growing pains and is now ready to compete in the B1G.

I hope you're right as I've always been a Pitino supporter. However, he can't afford another bad season.

I agree with the post below that we might regret having a regional recruiting rival come in to a place they would pack. Home and home in the home arenas I would take in a heartbeat, though. Louisville seems like a good bet for a big name, but why not UCLA or Clemson to relive long past great moments?

What great moments would be relived?

It's been proven? When and where was this?

If there were a prop bet available somewhere, Pitino being fired after this season would be a heavy favorite over him being retained, particularly with a new AD and zero NCAA Tournament appearances in four seasons. If the squad wildly outplays expectations and makes the Tournament, he'll be retained, but I don't see that happening.

If there were a prop bet available somewhere, Pitino being fired after this season would be a heavy favorite over him being retained, particularly with a new AD and zero NCAA Tournament appearances in four seasons. If the squad wildly outplays expectations and makes the Tournament, he'll be retained, but I don't see that happening.

I'm going with alchemy on this one.

The new AD is a fan of Pitino. He is a lock to be the coach unless there is some major problem. D1 BB is about getting the players, and Pitino is starting to hit his stride on getting players. Pitino will be in the same group of good young coaches as Shaka in a couple of years.

The new AD is a fan of Pitino. He is a lock to be the coach unless there is some major problem. D1 BB is about getting the players, and Pitino is starting to hit his stride on getting players. Pitino will be in the same group of good young coaches as Shaka in a couple of years.

"Lock", eh? If the Gophers go 3-15 in the Big Ten this season, I'm sure that Coyle is just dying to retain Pitino. You would realize that Pitino is coaching for his job this season if you were capable of any objectivity on the matter.

I'm going with alchemy on this one.

So am I, but it is obvious there are people around the U who hate the guy. The leaks to the press last spring were clearly a hit job on him. He needs to succeed on the court. I may be in the minority, but I thought he did a magnificent job coaching last year until it hit the fan at the end of the season. To keep a team engaged and improving after the horrific start they had is impressive. As the season progressed it looked like they knew what they were doing on offense, and natural talent began to show. Defense was another story, though.

"Lock", eh? If the Gophers go 3-15 in the Big Ten this season, I'm sure that Coyle is just dying to retain Pitino. You would realize that Pitino is coaching for his job this season if you were capable of any objectivity on the matter.

There is NO WAY they are going 3-15 in the B1G this year. Do you even follow the team? Last year they didn't have enough scholarship players to start, this year Pitino has 2-3 options at every position and there will be battles for starting spots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is NO WAY they are going 3-15 in the B1G this year. Do you even follow the team? Last year they didn't have enough scholarship players to start, this year Pitino has 2-3 options at every position and there will be battles for starting spots.

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a wonderful Christmas. You were the one who said he was a "lock", not me. When you remove all the negative possibilities from the set of options, of course you can make it appear that he's a "lock". I don't think it's likely that he goes 3-15, but I'm presenting a scenario to show how your "lock" nonsense is pure garbage.

How many Big Ten coaches (outside of Northwestern) have gone 0-for-4 in Tournament appearances since expansion in 1985 and gotten to keep their jobs for year 5? I'd be shocked if it's more than a handful, and surprised if it's any at all. His predecessor, who most of you hate, had 2 in his first 3 seasons and most of the fanbase was ready to run him out of town because he dared to miss in year 4. Now, his successor is very likely to go 0-for-4 and most of you think he's great and are worried about him leaving for a better job. It's bizarre. If you want to aspire to be Northwestern, be my guest.

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a wonderful Christmas. You were the one who said he was a "lock", not me. When you remove all the negative possibilities from the set of options, of course you can make it appear that he's a "lock". I don't think it's likely that he goes 3-15, but I'm presenting a scenario to show how your "lock" nonsense is pure garbage.

How many Big Ten coaches (outside of Northwestern) have gone 0-for-4 in Tournament appearances since expansion in 1985 and gotten to keep their jobs for year 5? I'd be shocked if it's more than a handful, and surprised if it's any at all. His predecessor, who most of you hate, had 2 in his first 3 seasons and most of the fanbase was ready to run him out of town because he dared to miss in year 4. Now, his successor is very likely to go 0-for-4 and most of you think he's great and are worried about him leaving for a better job. It's bizarre. If you want to aspire to be Northwestern, be my guest.

It gets old rehashing the same old argument with you. Just go back and read the old threads, because you just don't seem to remember the exchanges. I just look forward to seeing you man up and admit you were wrong. Hopefully it is early on during the Pitino era, so that you can at least enjoy the run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was curious about your question regarding Big Ten coaches retaining their jobs after missing the tournament in each of their first for seasons.

Ed DeChellis at Penn State made his first tournament appearance in year 8. Looks like he made the tournament with only 18 wins, then, IIRC, left for Navy of his own volition after the season. He also tied for 4th in the conference in year 6 and won the NIT.
Pat Chambers hasn't even made the NIT in his first 5 seasons, and will be entering his 6th this year.
Tommy Amaker never made the tournament in his 6 years at Michigan, but tied for 5th in conference and won the NIT in year 3.
Steve Yoder never made the tournament in 10 years at Wisconsin, though the first 2 are pre-1985.
Dan Monson made his first and only tournament appearance in year 6, fired at the start of year 8, though he had sanctions to deal with.

Fran McCaffery made his first appearance in year 4 and lost in a play-in game. Doesn't quite fit your rule though.
Tom Crean made the Sweet 16 in year 4, but had no postseason appearances at all in years 1-3, though, like with Monson, sanctions may have put him in a hole.

So I found about 4 or 5 instances, not counting Northwestern, and I'm guessing it's happened at Nebraska, but the information isn't easily accessible via wikipedia, because there are no Nebraska basketball fans to put together a full list of win-loss records for their program. I didn't check Maryland or Rutgers because historically they aren't Big Ten teams, but I don't think Rutgers has made the tournament since 1991, so it's probably happened there too.

You'd also have to take into account the fact that if Pitino misses the tournament, but at least comes close, we get just about everyone back for next year, and IMO would likely make the tournament and finish in the top half of the conference if he stays, though obviously that's just conjecture. Firing him might risk losing that momentum.

I wasn't trying to "show you up" with this post or anything, as I find myself agreeing with you most of the time and appreciate your contributions to the board, I was just curious about the answer to the question you posed. Seems like it's not totally unheard of for a struggling Big Ten program to retain a coach who hasn't made the tournament his first few years.

I'm sure that's based on a sober analysis of the situation, and not at all based on the fact that you can't stand me.

There you go again getting your 'facts' wrong.

I'd say it's your dislike of Tubby's departure that taints your view of Coach P.

There you go again getting your 'facts' wrong.

I'd say it's your dislike of Tubby's departure that taints your view of Coach P.

No, it's because the program has gotten continually worse the longer he's here and yet, whenever he's criticized here, the wagons circle ever tighter and the sycophants get even louder. It's truly bizarre.

You're right, I don't like Pitino, but that would be the case regardless of how his predecessor was run out of town. I don't like his put-on demeanor, I don't like how he assembles a roster, and I don't like how his last name was far and away the primary consideration in him getting the job in the first place.

I could learn to like him if he actually won. Since his season total of 8 wins equaled the number of Big Ten wins that got his predecessor fired...I'm not holding my breath.

I was curious about your question regarding Big Ten coaches retaining their jobs after missing the tournament in each of their first for seasons.

Ed DeChellis at Penn State made his first tournament appearance in year 8. Looks like he made the tournament with only 18 wins, then, IIRC, left for Navy of his own volition after the season. He also tied for 4th in the conference in year 6 and won the NIT.
Pat Chambers hasn't even made the NIT in his first 5 seasons, and will be entering his 6th this year.
Tommy Amaker never made the tournament in his 6 years at Michigan, but tied for 5th in conference and won the NIT in year 3.
Steve Yoder never made the tournament in 10 years at Wisconsin, though the first 2 are pre-1985.
Dan Monson made his first and only tournament appearance in year 6, fired at the start of year 8, though he had sanctions to deal with.

Fran McCaffery made his first appearance in year 4 and lost in a play-in game. Doesn't quite fit your rule though.
Tom Crean made the Sweet 16 in year 4, but had no postseason appearances at all in years 1-3, though, like with Monson, sanctions may have put him in a hole.

So I found about 4 or 5 instances, not counting Northwestern, and I'm guessing it's happened at Nebraska, but the information isn't easily accessible via wikipedia, because there are no Nebraska basketball fans to put together a full list of win-loss records for their program. I didn't check Maryland or Rutgers because historically they aren't Big Ten teams, but I don't think Rutgers has made the tournament since 1991, so it's probably happened there too.

You'd also have to take into account the fact that if Pitino misses the tournament, but at least comes close, we get just about everyone back for next year, and IMO would likely make the tournament and finish in the top half of the conference if he stays, though obviously that's just conjecture. Firing him might risk losing that momentum.

I wasn't trying to "show you up" with this post or anything, as I find myself agreeing with you most of the time and appreciate your contributions to the board, I was just curious about the answer to the question you posed. Seems like it's not totally unheard of for a struggling Big Ten program to retain a coach who hasn't made the tournament his first few years.

Thanks for doing the research, I appreciate it. Looks like our comps are Northwestern, Penn State, Nebraska, and Rutgers. I'm always told here how Gopher basketball is one of the highest-potential programs in the country, but I appreciate how your research has shown our true aspirations. Since Pitino is Teflon here, I'll just go back to the football board. Eight wins is actually a good season over there.

No, it's because the program has gotten continually worse the longer he's here and yet, whenever he's criticized here, the wagons circle ever tighter and the sycophants get even louder. It's truly bizarre. You're right, I don't like Pitino, but that would be the case regardless of how his predecessor was run out of town. I don't like his put-on demeanor, I don't like how he assembles a roster, and I don't like how his last name was far and away the primary consideration in him getting the job in the first place. I could learn to like him if he actually won. Since his season total of 8 wins equaled the number of Big Ten wins that got his predecessor fired...I'm not holding my breath.

I wouldn't say his last name being Pitino was "far and away" the primary consideration. Although it likely factored in I'm positive him being a Billy Donovan assistant was the primary factor. Just like when Teague had hired Anthony Grant and Shaka Smart at VCU. Regardless, this year will tell the tale on RPs future here I believe. One last thing...you like to mention the 8 wins last year. I'm fairly certain Pitino also holds the record for most wins in a season during his first year here with 25.

No, it's because the program has gotten continually worse the longer he's here and yet, whenever he's criticized here, the wagons circle ever tighter and the sycophants get even louder. It's truly bizarre.

You're right, I don't like Pitino, but that would be the case regardless of how his predecessor was run out of town. I don't like his put-on demeanor, I don't like how he assembles a roster, and I don't like how his last name was far and away the primary consideration in him getting the job in the first place.

I could learn to like him if he actually won. Since his season total of 8 wins equaled the number of Big Ten wins that got his predecessor fired...I'm not holding my breath.

I can understand most of your gripes since I share a few, but what about his demeanor is "put-on"? He seems to be very transparent in his statements and really an excellent interview.

Monson did lol. I feel bad for you openly rooting against the team, you're turning into wren of the basketball board

I can understand most of your gripes since I share a few, but what about his demeanor is "put-on"? He seems to be very transparent in his statements and really an excellent interview.

I've never met him personally, but I work with a lot of people who engage with him frequently. I've heard too much (and the stories are consistent) to believe that he is genuine.

Kinda like what you did when the wagons circled around Tubby lol. You're right if he goes 5-13 he's gone, which means probably means bye bye Isaiah Washington. But if he gets into the NIT unless he gets caughht snorting coke out of prostetute's asshole he will still be here next year. Only one senior in the rotation this year, we had trhe pieces to get on the bubble this year and make a run the next. Also if Tubby hadn't faded down the stretch three years a row, year four I'll give him a pass same with year five, but his last team should've at a minimum gone 11-7 in the big ten, can't piss away games to NW, Nebraska and Illinois like they did. And lose the way they did at Iowa and at Purdue with the talent they had

Monson inherited a team with ridiculous sanctions. Pitino inherited a team that won a game in the NCAA Tournament. How are the situations comparable?

How am I rooting against the team?

So you don't deny being the wren of the basketball board? Whatever I am putting your fandom on trial so it's up to you prove to me that you want this team to succeed I've already made my mind about you. Not that you care, but just so you know where I stand. I am an unapologetic backer of teams, players and coaches and I am gonna go after anyone that I think isn't after all this a gopher fan board, for people that are actually fans of the gophers and want them to succeed

You just seem to ramble on. Pitino is the most forthright BB coach we have seen for a long while. He sets development plans for each player and he has several players that have improved substantially under his tenure.

So what is wrong with this year's roster? It is more representative of what he is striving to assemble. Of course he has had tremendous holes in prior years, but we all know the reasons. Many were self inflected and part of his growing pains.

His last name was part of the pedigree, but he got the job based upon Billy's recommendations and the chance to get a "star" early.

You have got to step back and look at it objectively.

-Has Pitino made mistakes: yes
-Was he hired too early at this level: yes and he says so himself, but it was our chance to get a Shaka type hire.
-Can he coach basketball and develop players: yes, his job at FIU was phenomenal and his juggling of players to fill holes has been very good. He still is settling down on his style of play.
-Can he recruit: yes, that is just starting to play out. He shot too high the first year when no one was going to play for an unproven coach, and he got stuck scrambling late. He is learning to be more selective and be tougher on the problem kids.

Pitino is not Teflon, we just see the promise and are willing to give him a chance.

We will see definite progress this year.

Short and sweet response.

Tubby had six years. Pitino has had three.

Whatever I am putting your fandom on trial so it's up to you prove to me that you want this team to succeed I've already made my mind about you.

And I think you get drunk on appletinis and have unprotected sex with sheep so it's up to you to prove to me that you don't.

Wait.. so who are we playing in the vikes stadium?

Wait.. so who are we playing in the vikes stadium?

From the looks of this thread, we're going to be playing against dpoll dressed up as a cheerleader while bemidjigopher drinks appletini's and a goat plays point guard.

Top Bottom