Stanford cuts 11 sports permanently.

Not aimed at anyone, sorry. Just posting my opinion and experience. I have no problem if we keep it the way it is and let them market their name on a tee shirt. They will not be able to wear a car dealership decal on a jersey. They could collectively develop and market a video game. This will be a incredibly complex and drawn out issue. Labron has referred to the present way as slave labor. Slave labor in China is what makes the shoes that make him hundreds of millions of dollars. These are done in work camps, horrible conditions and they do not get health care, education, food, travel, clothing, opportunity. D1 athletes have difficult schedules but a incredible opportunity and do not have to accept the offer. Has anyone seen the reactions that the athlete and family have when signing.
Work camps?

No. Factories in cities, where the workers don't live on site. They earn a wage, they have their own apartments.

They're catching up on conditions. Not as good as in the US, sure, but not at all like you're trying to make it out.

Have a friend that was there several times last year on research and the conditions are deplorable. They were considering moving manufacturing there from another country and the experience left him disgusted. He said that anyone that saw it would think it was inhuman. It is a shoe company. Of course everyone has their opinion of what that looks like to them. Shoe factories are poison by nature even by tanning leather prior to the site. Nike is selling a ton of expensive shoes in poor neighborhoods on giant margins. Filthy. You can not run a factory here at 94 degrees with horrible air quality. They have work villages, call them what you want. Research what they have done and are doing with ethnic minorities in China and Cambodia. Talk about systemic racism.

Last edited:

I feel bad for the kids, but no one should get a free ride for fencing, sailing, or squash.

I think there's probably at least one kid on the St Paul campus who got a free ride for squash.

Have a friend that was there several times last year on research and the conditions are deplorable. They were considering moving manufacturing there from another country and the experience left him disgusted. He said that anyone that saw it would think it was inhuman. It is a shoe company. Of course everyone has their opinion of what that looks like to them. Shoe factories are poison by nature even by tanning leather prior to the site. Nike is selling a ton of expensive shoes in poor neighborhoods on giant margins. Filthy. You can not run a factory here at 94 degrees with horrible air quality. They have work villages, call them what you want. Research what they have done and are doing with ethnic minorities in China and Cambodia. Talk about systemic racism.
I've read about this sort of thing for years. It's disgusting that we support this sort of thing buy buying their products at outlandish prices.

I have always thought it is sad that folks making a product that they can’t afford to purchase themselves. even worse is that Nike markets that same product to kids at a price that kids can really afford either.....

I've been to China and seen manufacturing. Granted, it was not shoe manufacturing.

It was absolutely nothing close to what you describe. That's my experience, and I stand by it.

I've been to China and seen manufacturing. Granted, it was not shoe manufacturing.

It was absolutely nothing close to what you describe. That's my experience, and I stand by it.

China is a big place and 'manufacturing' is a huge topic.

It can be surprising what goods are highly automated and efficient and clean, and what goods seem like they're made the same way they were made 120 years ago.

So ... it depends.

Last edited:

Understood. But that has nothing to do with how Nike conducts business in China, this is well documented . Wages,living conditions,working conditions.

Top Bottom