Stanford cuts 11 sports permanently.

builtbadgers

Reaction score
They will honor coaches contracts and scholarships

Men’s and women’s fencing, field hockey, lightweight rowing, men’s rowing, co-ed and women’s sailing, squash, synchronized swimming, men’s volleyball and wrestling. Sorry, but nearly all were add-on sports to even out scholarships. I feel bad for the kids, but no one should get a free ride for fencing, sailing, or squash.

Surprised they cut men's volleyball. Men's Volleyball is big on the West coast, and I believe they've won national championships. Their women's team is a powerhouse.
It’s only sponsored by 9% of NCAA DI programs, was their reasoning. Doesn’t draw a ton of fans, it’s a spring sport.

I have high hopes for the sport to grow, and it is doing so here in MN. Would love to see the Gophers get a varsity men’s program one day.

Men’s and women’s fencing, field hockey, lightweight rowing, men’s rowing, co-ed and women’s sailing, squash, synchronized swimming, men’s volleyball and wrestling. Sorry, but nearly all were add-on sports to even out scholarships. I feel bad for the kids, but no one should get a free ride for fencing, sailing, or squash.

Lets be real. No one should get a free ride to any university for playing any sport and universities shouldn't be running semi-professional sports franchises, but that's the world we live in.

Probably not the last to do so.

The good news is that they are in a mismanaged conference that doesn't make as much money as the B1G so the B1G might be able to hold the line even if Pac 12 schools start faltering.

The bad news is that this means that they are projecting a giant revenue shortfall which would come from not playing football. I'm hoping this doesn't mean that they have inside information on a season change, and that they're just being proactive about their budget.

Surprised they cut men's volleyball. Men's Volleyball is big on the West coast, and I believe they've won national championships. Their women's team is a powerhouse.
I high school I always wanted to play men's volleyball. They just never had the sport.

Lets be real. No one should get a free ride to any university for playing any sport and universities shouldn't be running semi-professional sports franchises, but that's the world we live in.
It’s interesting because I think the majority of Americans would agree with you yet at the same the majority of Americans would also agree FBS football players and power 6 basketball players should maybe get paid.

It’s interesting because I think the majority of Americans would agree with you yet at the same the majority of Americans would also agree FBS football players and power 6 basketball players should maybe get paid.
Who, how and how much because it will not be through athletic departments. Likeness is a possibility but since it is money there will be a fight. Colleges can just eliminate scholarships for sports. The kids seem thrilled when the accept their offer. Their families celebrate, throw parties. A 4-5 year ride is worth nearly 500,000 to a place like UVA as a example. I know hundreds of athletes that said it changed their lives. Not having to work a job to get your education, all your food and shelter paid for. A huge stipend, a ton of apparel , all that travel, in some cases the best coaching you could ever get, medical care and insurance. From now on take only the kids that actually meet the academic requirements, find out who actually wants to go to college.

This is the most correct post, of them all.

School teams, are an interesting fascination of some cultures. College football in the US, definitely takes the cake, though.

Who, how and how much because it will not be through athletic departments. Likeness is a possibility but since it is money there will be a fight. Colleges can just eliminate scholarships for sports. The kids seem thrilled when the accept their offer. Their families celebrate, throw parties. A 4-5 year ride is worth nearly 500,000 to a place like UVA as a example. I know hundreds of athletes that said it changed their lives. Not having to work a job to get your education, all your food and shelter paid for. A huge stipend, a ton of apparel , all that travel, in some cases the best coaching you could ever get, medical care and insurance. From now on take only the kids that actually meet the academic requirements, find out who actually wants to go to college.
Every single thing you describe here, would be exactly the same, if the college simply paid the athlete the equivalent dollar amount of the scholarship, as a stipend/salary.

Exactly. the. same.

Every single thing you describe here, would be exactly the same, if the college simply paid the athlete the equivalent dollar amount of the scholarship, as a stipend/salary.

Exactly. the. same.
They get it the way it is , they are thrilled to get it. It will not be paid in cash to the individual. Do you know how a scholarship fund is managed and how it is dispersed . I would never give a dime in support of any university athletic endowed scholarship if it was going to be paid in cash to the athlete. All in favor of giving zero scholarships to athletes unless they qualify for a academic scholarship. Not going to happen the way you suggest. Now if they can sell tee shirts and market their own likeness great. They will not be able to sell the school name. UCLA lawyers are all over this already. Those letters belong to the school.

They get it the way it is , they are thrilled to get it. It will not be paid in cash to the individual. Do you know how a scholarship fund is managed and how it is dispersed . I would never give a dime in support of any university athletic endowed scholarship if it was going to be paid in cash to the athlete. All in favor of giving zero scholarships to athletes unless they qualify for a academic scholarship. Not going to happen the way you suggest. Now if they can sell tee shirts and market their own likeness great. They will not be able to sell the school name. UCLA lawyers are all over this already. Those letters belong to the school.
Your opinion is valid. And is your opinion. Shared by some others, rejected by the rest.

I was answering the post about volleyball titles.

Understood, I was just providing broader context regarding the cuts (not intending to refute anything you said).

Your opinion is valid. And is your opinion. Shared by some others, rejected by the rest.
Understood. Can you imagine giving out the cash to a 18 year old and having him budget for all the services he has to have, all the defaults, all the cash to friends, a car, a house, instead of the coaching and on and on. Dispersing of funds for services. Scholarship funds are for the scholarships. Revenue-expenses=almost nothing left.

Understood. Can you imagine giving out the cash to a 18 year old and having him budget for all the services he has to have, all the defaults, all the cash to friends, a car, a house, instead of the coaching and on and on. Dispersing of funds for services. Scholarship funds are for the scholarships. Revenue-expenses=almost nothing left.
Yeah the situation where you'd have kids dork up, take out loans, and then end up dropping out of school with huge debt and busting their ass so the school can make money on football .... that's a PR issue nobody wants.

I never said I supported both of those positions

Yeah the situation where you'd have kids dork up, take out loans, and then end up dropping out of school with huge debt and busting their ass so the school can make money on football .... that's a PR issue nobody wants.
A very fair point. Maybe you have the school automatically deduct what is owed for the semester, from the paycheck immediately.

The rest ... it's really not all the different from how it goes now, to my understanding. If the student isn't in university housing, then the equivalent dollar amount (or some dollar amount, that is figured out somehow?) is cut to the student as a check, that they pay their landlords for off-campus apartments. They get a stipend now, for additional expenses. No one babysits them on that. If they blow it, they blow it.

Food is taken care of. They get to go to the athlete's village and have basically an athlete's only dining hall, with nutritious food. And probably can take out unlimited snacks, protein shakes, etc. All of that is allowed to be "gifted" to the athlete, at no out of pocket expense.

I never said I supported both of those positions
Not aimed at anyone, sorry. Just posting my opinion and experience. I have no problem if we keep it the way it is and let them market their name on a tee shirt. They will not be able to wear a car dealership decal on a jersey. They could collectively develop and market a video game. This will be a incredibly complex and drawn out issue. Labron has referred to the present way as slave labor. Slave labor in China is what makes the shoes that make him hundreds of millions of dollars. These are done in work camps, horrible conditions and they do not get health care, education, food, travel, clothing, opportunity. D1 athletes have difficult schedules but a incredible opportunity and do not have to accept the offer. Has anyone seen the reactions that the athlete and family have when signing.

Top Bottom