Stadium walls around the field will have brick facade!

Why is Kent apologizing for writting about the stadium? I like the idea of the bricks and it is good to hear people have stuck with the premium seating.

Hells Yeah!! Bricks around the field!!

also looking forward to the memorial stadium website.... sounds cool.

This is GREAT news!! I'm so impressed with the U for the job they are doing with this stadium. Can't wait to see how the brick will look on those walls.

Also great to hear that an M Club room has been upgraded/added and that NOT ONE suite has had to be refunded because of the Minnesota legislature...at least not so far!

This news made my night! The field will look flawless now.

Interesting. I once had a job where I reviewed certain aspects of construction projects (purchasing, contracting, etc). There are usually a few "add options" on these big projects that will take place if the rest of the project comes in under budget and a few things that can be taken off if they are over budget on the project. The fact that the interior wall brick, the M club room, and the training table are being added are good signs. Either the rest of the project is coming in under budget (quite possible given the economy and the relatively lower bids being made for all sorts of construction) or the fundraising continues to go well...or both.

In any case, this will make the stadium look that much more classy. Great job by the U on this.

Does anyone know if this is something that can/will still be done before this season begins, or is it something that will be added during/after this season?

Based on the decade-long talk of Williams Arena getting a new floor, I'm questioning whether or not this will be done yet this summer...then again, why not just do it, I guess...

Just curious...

very happy to hear about the brick!

great decision by pres. bruininks, joel maturi and the U of M. thank you!

Does anyone know if this is something that can/will still be done before this season begins, or is it something that will be added during/after this season?

Based on the decade-long talk of Williams Arena getting a new floor, I'm questioning whether or not this will be done yet this summer...then again, why not just do it, I guess...

Just curious...

I would assume before 9/12 since they announced it already and if they use the prefab slabs of brick versus going brick by brick then it should go up pretty quick.

Interesting. I once had a job where I reviewed certain aspects of construction projects (purchasing, contracting, etc). There are usually a few "add options" on these big projects that will take place if the rest of the project comes in under budget and a few things that can be taken off if they are over budget on the project. The fact that the interior wall brick, the M club room, and the training table are being added are good signs. Either the rest of the project is coming in under budget (quite possible given the economy and the relatively lower bids being made for all sorts of construction) or the fundraising continues to go well...or both.

In any case, this will make the stadium look that much more classy. Great job by the U on this.

If I remmber this correctly, I believe the recent donation from T. Denny Sandford had some of it going towards the M Club room and some going towards a Hall of Fame. I may be wrong but thats what I recall.

with all this negative stuff, Lipscomb n Brock, this covers it up as I thought this was the only "negative" about TCF. Hell YEAH

Just curious...

I talked to someone last night from the athletic dept. and he said it will be done before 9/12. The pads that were up on the ends have already been taken down in order to put the brick up so it should be going up sometime soon.

I talked to someone last night from the athletic dept. and he said it will be done before 9/12. The pads that were up on the ends have already been taken down in order to put the brick up so it should be going up sometime soon.

I was wondering why they took down those pads right away... but I did have that feeling... :D

A recent $500,000 donation has made it possible for the University of Minnesota to have a brick fence around the stadium rather than concrete. ...

From Sid

I was in the stadium today, I didn't get a chance to snap a picture but they have begun the installation of brick wall!

They hope to have it completed by August 21st. Cutting it kind of close, but I'm ok with the addition of that last minute detail.

Also, workers were painting the exposed concrete at the bottom of the upper deck adjacent to the LED boards. So those corners will be maroon. I don't know if they are going to be putting up any signage or decals over it.

Also, workers were painting the exposed concrete at the bottom of the upper deck adjacent to the LED boards. So those corners will be maroon. I don't know if they are going to be putting up any signage or decals over it.

Recognizing retired numbers and national champions. Maybe BT champs too?

I was in the stadium today, I didn't get a chance to snap a picture but they have begun the installation of brick wall!

They hope to have it completed by August 21st. Cutting it kind of close, but I'm ok with the addition of that last minute detail.

Excellent news... thanks. There seems to be plenty of room to put up classy sinage with Big 10 championships, National championships, Bronko, Paul Giel, etc. etc. I haven't heard they were doing this though. Just thinking out loud.

Can hardly wait to see that brick wall.

umnhcky - were they actually laying individual brick for the field wall installation or going with those larger "sheets" of brick that were used on high-up parts of the exterior? i hope they have brick layers doing the brick individually. i just think it looks nicer that way.

perhaps that is why it will take them until aug. 21st to complete the install?? let's hope so.

umnhcky - were they actually laying individual brick for the field wall installation or going with those larger "sheets" of brick that were used on high-up parts of the exterior? i hope they have brick layers doing the brick individually. i just think it looks nicer that way.

perhaps that is why it will take them until aug. 21st to complete the install?? let's hope so.

Individual bricks.

They were working in the northwest corner of the stadium while I was standing in the band seating area. From across the field it looked great!

good to hear!

Individual bricks.

They were working in the northwest corner of the stadium while I was standing in the band seating area. From across the field it looked great!

good, individual is better IMO. how low was the band compared to the first row (i got first row) and how high off the field was the first row ive heard different things!

good, individual is better IMO. how low was the band compared to the first row (i got first row) and how high off the field was the first row ive heard different things!

I've seen several pictures that show the band either at ground level, or even slightly below it, in fact. I think the first row of fan seating is approximately 6-8 feet high, which is very similar to the Metrodome.

I've seen several pictures that show the band either at ground level, or even slightly below it, in fact. I think the first row of fan seating is approximately 6-8 feet high, which is very similar to the Metrodome.

The band's section is about 6 feet lower than the surrounding seats. The band's first row is one step above the field grade.

I rode my bike around the stadium tonight and was

able to briefly ride into the driveway area for the truck/loading dock, located just to the south of the student entrance archway.

The rolling doors for the delivery/ dock area were open, and I could see the brick installed behind the west goalposts.

It looked really great with the green turf foreground and brick in the back, and Willum Arena beyond that sight.

This brick wall will really make the stadium look great on TV and in person. I am pleased that there will be a brick wall in the endzones, even though they will put padding over some of it. I like the maroon on the upper deck facing in the end zone areas where the ribbon scoreboard is not present.

I saved the ESPN broadcast of the second to last game at Memorial Stadium, a win over Ohio State, my DishNetwork DRV. I can't believe how great the brick field wall looked with the green (painted?) November grass in Memorial Stadium. That is a great game to watch, Mike Hohensee looked great; I really liked the deep drops he took in that Salem offense. The crowd became very loud late in the game when they realized Minnesota could actually beat Ohio State and needed some stops on defense.

With the brick wall checked off, now if we can only get liquor in the premium areas (and maybe a remote unused upper concourse? beer garden for us common folks), and a return of the 5 minute 3 block Armory to Stadium pre-game parade, I will be 100% satisfied.

I'll still be happy on 9/12, even if I have to tailgate with Larry Pogeymiller, Phyllis Kahn, and Sid Hartman (who did his best to kill the stadium).

Can't wait to see some pictures of the new facade.

Top Bottom