Stadium Music

JasonBourne21

Reaction score
I know this topic has been covered before, and it's a bit premature but i think having a stadium song that represents Gopher Nation in TCF stadium would be pretty cool. Take for example "Jump Around" in Madison or "Sweet Caroline" at Fenway. I was thinking Cab Calloway's "Minnie the Moocher" before the 4th qrt. would be pretty cool. Not only is it a classic song, but it gets the fans involved as well... Any song ideas on the topic would be great!!!! Can't wait for outdoor football!!!!

Here's an oldie, but a goodie

Baby Got Back.

I love when the band plays classic songs... but when I was at Madison and they played "jump around" it was amazing. I agree we need a song, but I don't know if we can just say this is our song. We may need to test out some songs and see how the students/fans react.

GL, no personnel theme music allowed

this thread is for suggestions only. ;)

Bridge Over Troubled Water.

I think it will really get people going.

"Kickstart my Heart" by Motley Crue
or
"Welcome to the Jungle" by Guns n' Roses

Either song would really get the crowd going with huge opening guitar riffs. Not to mention the theme of both songs might stick. Of course, "Kickstart my Heart" is kind of about drugs... so maybe not.

Bon Jovi-Living on a Prayer

Journey-Don't Stop Believing

Both classics that everybody will know and sing along with.

The "Disco Duck" maybe?

Just kidding......only if we play Oregon! LOL

A Minnesota flavor

No offense to the others who have suggested songs, many of which I like, but many seem to already be part of the fabric of stadium/arena songs across the nation, hardly giving TCF Stadium a unique feel.

Minnesota has a rich musical legacy, but tough to find a song that fits. The Replacements, Husker Du, and Atmosphere haven't captured enough mainstream attention to have all the fans in the student section, much less the entire stadium, clued in to their lyrics.

Bob Dylan and Prince are among rock 'n roll's legends, but the only Dylan song I can think of that would fit (Rainy Day Woman #12 & 35) probably would be frowned upon my the establishment and Prince's Let's Go Crazy, the most likely candidate of his catalog, just seems too obvious and overplayed. Little Red Corvette would be another decent candidate, but I'm afraid it would be voted down by the establishment once again.

How bout Morris Day and The Time's "Jungle Love"? A Minnesota act with a song that would play well over the generations (well, those 40 and younger at least), has a catchy and singable chorus, has the bird call at the beginning of the song which would indicate to the crowd that the song was starting, and would definitely get the crowd bouncing. For the kids in the audience, I've included a live performance of the song (couldn't find the video on you tube). Alas, the lyrics (listed below) probably fall on the too risque side of things for the establishment (and they'd definitely have to get the edited radio version of the song):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpHRkewyh3w

Jungle Love
{"Oh-wee-oh-wee-oh" will repeat in BG of song}

I - I've been watching U
I think I wanna know ya (know ya)
Said I, I'm a little dangerous
Girl, I'd love 2 show ya (show ya)

My jungle love, yeah
Jungle love

U - U've got a pretty car
I think I wanna drive it (drive it)
I ain't playin', said I drive a little dangerous
Take U 2 my crib, rip U off ... huh! (Jungle love)

Look out, oh!
Oh, jungle love, yeah

Come on baby, where's your guts?
U wanna make love or what?

I wanna take U 2 my cage
Lock U up and hide the key
U on..only get water, baby
Cuz if U're hungry, take a bite of me

Oh, jungle love, yes
Think I wanna know ya (know ya)
Hey, jungle love, mmm

Yeah, yeah, yeah, jungle love, oh!
Jungle love
Girl, I... I think I wanna, I think I wanna file my nails (Show ya)

Hey Jesse
N..now Jerome, yes!
Check it out!

Jungle love, yeah
Oh, jungle love, yes
Mmm, girl, I'd love 2 show ya (show ya)

Oh, my jungle love, well
Mmm, I think I wanna, I think I wanna (know ya)
Jellybean, uh!
Yeah!

Jesse, gimme one of them sexy solos right here
Break it down, uh!
Yes! Huh
Whoa, eh, hah!
Get..get outta the way
Move over
Yeah

Oh, jungle love, that's right
Can't nobody fuck with me, uh
I got a bearskin rug
I got a fireplace 2
And I'm all the way wild, baby
Oh, the things I could do 2 U

Hey!
Jungle love {x3)
Yes, yes!

Ha ha!
Aah, that's it, that's it
Hold on
Ha ha ha ha ha!
Shit! Ha ha!
© 1984 Tionna Music - ASCAP

And jump around isn't obvious and overplayed? I thought the whole point was for the song to be obvious?

Okay, obvious, overplayed, a song that I really don't like, and one that is so frantic that it's hard to sing along or keep a beat to, and besides "Let's Go Crazy, Let's Go Nuts", doesn't have much to sing along to.

And Jungle Love does?

Just remember who got the girl at the end of Purple Rain, ok?

Never watched the movie, so it doesn't resonate.

Any chance your bedroom is painted purple, and not because you're a Vikings fan?

Purple Rain is basically a showdown between Morris Day and Prince, AKA "the kid", battling over Apolonea, who is a backup singer/song writer. And you call yourself a Minnesotan.

If you go go old school "Woolly Bully"
Prince era "Baby I'm a Star"
Something for the kids "Swagga like Us"

For the record Axl Rose is from Lafayette IN so G'n'R. Just a cool fact. You could do Livin' On Prayer or Don't Stop Believin' but they are done the best by the Boiler Brass Band and the Paint Crew. I know I'm baised but when you have about 5000 students singing at the top of thier lungs "OHHHH WE'RE HALF WAY THERE, OH-OH LIVIN' ON A PRAYER" the have them continue into the game after the time out has ended is the coolest thing it the world. The same goes for Don't Stop Believin' which the Paint Crew does too.

As for Zombie Nation unless your name is Penn State stay away from it. As far as I'm concerned they own the song in the college sports world.

Purdue does Shout betweeen the 3rd and 4th quater of football games. It's pretty cool to have a bunch of students all though there hands in the air at the same time. For the Gophers I don't have any ideas.

Personally, I think something like "O Fortuna" would be amazing. It's not done anywhere else that I'm aware of, and I would think it would be pretty sweet to hear everybody singing along to.

Also, I was thinking about the idea of singing a local hip-hop song. I don't think it'd be practicable, but the idea of a ton of students jumping around to "Get Fly" by Atmosphere or "Rain Water" by Brother Ali just makes me laugh.

Never quite understood "Livin' on a Prayer"? A prayer for another first down? Another win?

I get the Jump Around, and when we get that first post-Thanksgiving day game, we'll all appreciate a 4th quarter stomp.

I like the MN connection, but can't offer anything fresh - keep thinking about some way to work some new lyrics for "Music for Boys"!

GL- love the baby got back idea i think that would be hilarious. Is tonto jump on it not kind of our student dance song?

I don't know if this could become big enough but how about the oh part from Coldplay's Viva la Vida or just the whole song? I heard it at BC who's band does a collection of stadium songs during tv timeouts and it sounded pretty cool.

"Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy"

Imagine a crowd of 50,000 singing "save a horse, ride
a cowboy" during a pause at a Gopher game. All the
little future Gophers would think its silly and
sing along without having a clue what they're talking
about. LOL

Lyrics kinda racey, song maybe a bit overplayed, but
its fun to think about.

Hey, Big & Rich are from South Dakota, which isn't
THAT far away! LOL

I think one thing that most people are missing is that there needs to be something interactive. Jump Around would be super lame if everybody didn't jump around. Jump On It by the Sugar Hill Gang is good but not everybody knows the dance. We need something that all the students will know how to do, or at least know all the words.

Jump On It

I had been away from Gopher home games for a few years until the '08 season and was thrilled to see something like Jump On It played and the student section involvement. I'm not sure how many years it's been done, but if we keep it, it becomes "ours". I'd say right now the participation is great, it's a fun song, and it's in Drumline, so it's got to be good!

For a late in the game, get people out of there seats song, I think it works well.
For pre-game music (other than the Marching Band), let the captains give their two cents.

I like Jump on It

The student section is involved and it's fun.

The band played it at the Cornell basketball game, and the student section was did the dance. It was great.

'Home on the Range.'

The souped up version.

I've always thought Quiet Riot was way underrepresented in these Stadium music sweepstakes. By the way if you're winning, the old guard will accept pretty much anything. Nothing like watching old Kansas Memorial Stadium's West Stands (ie alumni section) enjoying ACDC's 'You, Shook Me All Night Long' as the Hawks were taking a 2x4 to the Slavers from Missoura in 2003. One of my favorite memories watching Red Legger Football.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou

Top Bottom