St. Thomas recruit Ramogi Nyagodi

There is the NIMBY issue with the arena. Which irritates me. Don't move next door to a college (or bar, or restaurant or strip club or gun range, etc.) if you don't want what comes with that.
Late to the discussion but your local bar, restaurant, strip club, and gun range isn't buying up the neighborhood to expand their business. You know what you are getting with them.

No one in their wildest imagination would have guessed 10 years ago that UST would move out of the MIAC and into D1.

The College of St. Thomas had been a 'small' liberal arts college with just a few thousand students in a residential neighborhood for over a century. Around 1990, CST became University of ST and they have been expanding their academic footprint seemingly every year since and their student population is now around 10,000. There's been a steady din of construction and additional traffic. Many in the neighborhood have reluctantly accepted the changes believing in the value of education.

Now that UST is going D1, they are expanding or considering expansion of their athletic footprint on campus. These are significant changes and longtime neighborhood residents have every right to express their concerns about these facilities and whether they need to be located in a residential neighborhood without adequate traffic flow.

With the new payout to players, travel costs will be a factor in scheduling OOC games, especially with the in conference travel.

Iowa State, Creighton, and Marquette might become frequent major opponents. While the Dakota schools, Omaha, St. Thomas, Green Bay, etc will be the primary mid-major teams on the schedule. Drake and UNI from the MVC are also schedule candidates.

Late to the discussion but your local bar, restaurant, strip club, and gun range isn't buying up the neighborhood to expand their business. You know what you are getting with them.

No one in their wildest imagination would have guessed 10 years ago that UST would move out of the MIAC and into D1.

The College of St. Thomas had been a 'small' liberal arts college with just a few thousand students in a residential neighborhood for over a century. Around 1990, CST became University of ST and they have been expanding their academic footprint seemingly every year since and their student population is now around 10,000. There's been a steady din of construction and additional traffic. Many in the neighborhood have reluctantly accepted the changes believing in the value of education.

Now that UST is going D1, they are expanding or considering expansion of their athletic footprint on campus. These are significant changes and longtime neighborhood residents have every right to express their concerns about these facilities and whether they need to be located in a residential neighborhood without adequate traffic flow.
Yes, they have close to 10,000 in enrollment. But only 6000 are undergrads, and even then they all aren't on the St. Paul campus. It's bigger than it once was, but it's not some behemoth.

And the residents in the area have had squabbles with the school for years. From 1995-97 I lived in Mac-Groveland and worked on the U campus (the office building that's between Huntington Bank Stadium and Mariucci). So I drove through the UST campus every day on my way to and from work. There were yard signs complaining about issues back then.

Get caught up like Bob Loblaw said.

Wisconsin has played UWGB the past 4-5 seasons as well as South Dakota. Indiana played Goshen College (Indiana) last season and will tangle with hated rival IU Columbus this season. I had posted the same earlier about Iowa and ISU. Why should the Gophers be any different?
Exactly other basketball teams do it! AND teams within your own athletic department are playing UST… men’s hockey date announced 10/26… AND I believe the volleyball and softball teams played USt..

Other schools are playing charity exhibition games 🤷🏾‍♂️. Let’s go! Exhibition that way no feelings can be hurt and you can always say it was just an exhibition if you take the L

Exactly other basketball teams do it! AND teams within your own athletic department are playing UST… men’s hockey date announced 10/26… AND I believe the volleyball and softball teams played USt..
Show me the Money!

UST is cute story and all, but they have marginal radio revenue, no TV revenue and a small gate. The only source of money is Alumni. That does not give you enough money to build a national level program, pay for travel cost, upgrade facilities and buy players. Will they have a team that can hang with or maybe beat a lower tier B1G team every once in a while? Sure.

UST going D1 is nice because it gives a place in the TC for all of the borderline D1 players to play instead of going up to NDSU, etc. It will be a fun program to watch as long as they keep playing teams at their level of competition. Yes, they may make a few NCAA tourneys where they will play one or two games at the most.

They've not been able to attract football crowds anywhere close to what they had for Johnnie-Tommie, and the basketball/hockey crowds are hardly worth mentioning as something that would disrupt a neighborhood as a few hundred people quietly walk to and from their cars. I'm sure neighbors are far more annoyed by loud parties which aren't any different than what they were in the MIAC days.

Illinois nothing to gain! What are you doing??? Tripling up on the nothing to gain theory.. scheduled Eastern Illinois, SIUE and Chicago St…

They've not been able to attract football crowds anywhere close to what they had for Johnnie-Tommie, and the basketball/hockey crowds are hardly worth mentioning as something that would disrupt a neighborhood as a few hundred people quietly walk to and from their cars. I'm sure neighbors are far more annoyed by loud parties which aren't any different than what they were in the MIAC days.
Unless something changes dramatically, football is going to be an afterthought at UST. They don't have a stadium or facilities to compete even against the NDSU's and SDSU's of the world and I can't see any scenario where they can build something to that level, based on money and space. I could be wrong, but I can't see it. The Pioneer league is fine, but it's the lowest level of FCS football. And no, they won't play at Allianz - MNUFC would never allow it after the one Tommie-Johnnie game tore up the turf.

But basketball, and to a lesser extent hockey - we in Minnesota far overestimate the importance of ice hockey in the college sports landscape - they can absolutely build a legit program. Especially with the new arena. Their goal is to be like a Marquette, Gonzaga, Butler, Creighton level program.

Top Bottom