St. Thomas recruit Ramogi Nyagodi

Nah, I think the opposite. St. Thomas is finding out how truly expensive running a DI program is. They have money issues right now. They've had a round of layoffs within the department, cost cutting everywhere, and cannot get any major sponsors to attach to the program. They are pinching pennies like crazy right now.

The new arena isn't even a sure thing at this point, at least not by 2025 as originally planned. They are having issues securing the property (not money related).

They have a few donors with deep pockets, but that isn't going to get them a roster to make them better than any Big Ten team on any type of consistent basis.

The problem isn't securing the property, it's putting up the arena. The neighbors have it tied up in court.

The problem isn't securing the property, it's putting up the arena. The neighbors have it tied up in court.

Correct, I didn't phrase it exactly right. Either way, it is almost certainly not going to be opening as planned.

Nah, I think the opposite. St. Thomas is finding out how truly expensive running a DI program is. They have money issues right now. They've had a round of layoffs within the department, cost cutting everywhere, and cannot get any major sponsors to attach to the program. They are pinching pennies like crazy right now.

The new arena isn't even a sure thing at this point, at least not by 2025 as originally planned. They are having issues securing the property (not money related).

They have a few donors with deep pockets, but that isn't going to get them a roster to make them better than any Big Ten team on any type of consistent basis.
There is the NIMBY issue with the arena. Which irritates me. Don't move next door to a college (or bar, or restaurant or strip club or gun range, etc.) if you don't want what comes with that.

There is the NIMBY issue with the arena. Which irritates me. Don't move next door to a college (or bar, or restaurant or strip club or gun range, etc.) if you don't want what comes with that.
Exactly.

We're at the breaking point of a climate change crisis, the last thing we need is more greenhouse gasses. It's disappointing that UST doesn't care about their carbon footprint😉

If this proves true, I congratulate UST for having deeper pockets and an Admin willing to support their Athletic Department. I will be jealous.

However, I have yet to read a compelling argument why scheduling UST has any value to the Gopher program:

* We win? We're supposed to...and receive no tourney cred for doing so.

* We lose? It's a big hit to our tourney resume and our fan base morale while promoting more negative media coverage and tarnishing our image with local recruits.

I love UST...easily one (1) of the best universities in the Midwest. My youngest niece starts an academic full ride there for Entrepreneurship next month. I still don't care about their basketball team...I'm a Gopher fan.
Win and no Tourney credit? How have any of the recent non conference schedules provided any credibility? So what would be so different??

Since UST has been pretty good, an upset loss would actually be better than any upset losses that could occur with the past few schedules.

Why should the University of Mn be scared of playing UST? Does the U of Mn have small man's disease?

Win and no Tourney credit? How have any of the recent non conference schedules provided any credibility? So what would be so different??

Since UST has been pretty good, an upset loss would actually be better than any upset losses that could occur with the past few schedules.

Why should the University of Mn be scared of playing UST? Does the U of Mn have small man's disease?
Not only do I not "worry" about UST...I don't think about them at all.

Thanks for your concern.

There's no moving on. Tommy fans will only be happy with a yearly match up.
So what? Just move on! Why should the Gopher fans worry about what UST fans think nor fear playing UST?

It’s the same about people not wanting to schedule NDSU in football. Accept the challenge and may the best team win.

Last time I checked the UM is a part of the Big Ten. Our fans need to embrace that and not shy away from that and any challenges to our status.

Oklahoma State & Arizona State still not a bad haul for their two big paychecks.
Do they get paid big money like the sacrificial lambs in football do? I honestly don't know the answer to this.

So what? Just move on! Why should the Gopher fans worry about what UST fans think nor fear playing UST?

It’s the same about people not wanting to schedule NDSU in football. Accept the challenge and may the best team win.

Last time I checked the UM is a part of the Big Ten. Our fans need to embrace that and not shy away from that and any challenges to our status.
I agree with you in hoops. But there is no upside to playing the Dakota schools in football. None.

This is ridiculous. If they have better players, the top school will poach them.
I agree. St. Thomas will probably be like the Gophers in that every incoming freshman that plays well in the Summit League will look to move up.

Do they get paid big money like the sacrificial lambs in football do? I honestly don't know the answer to this.
Most of the contracts I've seen published are at least $80 grand. Here's a link from Iowa's beat writer on what Iowa is paying opponents to play at Carver-Hawkeye.

I agree with you in hoops. But there is no upside to playing the Dakota schools in football. None.
Why worry about the upside? Iowa certainly doesn't as they have scheduled NDSU, UNI in the past and have the Jacks in 2025. Iowa State the same as the play all the Dakota schools in the next 5-6 years in football as well as UNI.

For those who worry about losing to UST or NDSU, losing to UST would raise a lot of questions but NDSU is a top FCS program and would compete well with many BIG schools. They took down the Hogeyes in 2017. I think we play the Fighting Sioux down the road so maybe the mindset is slowly changing. After all, we are in the BIG! Lets act like it.

Again, it is of no value for the Gophers to play the little local programs that wish they had the clout of a B1G School. It doesn't matter how much some of you think it would be cute to have them play the Gophers.

Acting like you are in the B1G is playing stronger competition so you get better, not playing local teams to help support them. The B1G is arguably the at the top of College sports, you do not play teams that are in what might be the 20th or 30th best conference in college sports.

Again, it is of no value for the Gophers to play the little local programs that wish they had the clout of a B1G School. It doesn't matter how much some of you think it would be cute to have them play the Gophers.

Acting like you are in the B1G is playing stronger competition so you get better, not playing local teams to help support them. The B1G is arguably the at the top of College sports, you do not play teams that are in what might be the 20th or 30th best conference in college sports.
We are one of the few B1G teams too cowardly to play local teams.

You should watch college basketball sometime.

Get caught up like Bob Loblaw said.

Wisconsin has played UWGB the past 4-5 seasons as well as South Dakota. Indiana played Goshen College (Indiana) last season and will tangle with hated rival IU Columbus this season. I had posted the same earlier about Iowa and ISU. Why should the Gophers be any different?

Back in the Haskins days...when we were either very good or gearing-up our young players to be very good in a year or 2...this conversation wouldn't exist. There was never any concern whatsoever about a mid-major.

Get caught up like Bob Loblaw said.

Wisconsin has played UWGB the past 4-5 seasons as well as South Dakota. Indiana played Goshen College (Indiana) last season and will tangle with hated rival IU Columbus this season. I had posted the same earlier about Iowa and ISU. Why should the Gophers be any different?
I think we should play these teams - in basketball. But not in football.

Top Bottom