St. Thomas - Are They Hosed?

There are plenty of wealthy families in the state who will not give to the U because it is not their school. I know of two Interlachen members who have given several million dollar gifts to Michigan and Purdue athletic departments because those are their schools , they hate the Gophers. I know how hard fundraising in our athletic department is. We fall short to some schools by 40 million per year in athletic department donations. St. Thomas clearly has the donors to get started on a small scale or they would never try this.
Yeah giving is a strange game, and big donors and proximity just don't seem to need to go hand in hand.

It's a global neighborhood now.

Yeah giving is a strange game, and big donors and proximity just don't seem to need to go hand in hand.

It's a global neighborhood now.
It can change, everyone loves a winner. I had a close friend that went to UW but about the time they started their nearly 25 year run of mediocrity he had moved to Texas for the Royal run, struck it huge in oil and became a huge Texas booster. Later in life when UW hired great coaches and won big he switched back ! I have friends that dropped their donations and their seats here for basketball. They got sick of it. Losing wears people out. Not sure how St. Thomas will ramp it up pre winning at the top level. They must have some very significant pledges from some of the boys at Somerset CC .

Dropping hockey.....

I mean I have no idea what their hockey is like but dropping hockey... WTF

One less in-state team the Gophers can't beat in hockey!

I don't see them becoming a football threat, but I predict that Gopher basketball will lose a home game that counts to St Thomas in the next 10 years.

One less in-state team the Gophers can't beat in hockey!

I don't see them becoming a football threat, but I predict that Gopher basketball will lose a home game that counts to St Thomas in the next 10 years.
There are very few schools outside the Big Ten playing even high level FCS football (let alone FBS), AND playing at least mid-major basketball, AND playing high level college hockey.

Notre Dame of course. Three MAC schools have hockey, with two in the elite NCHC. Boston College, Holy Cross, UConn, UMass, UMaine, UNew Hampshire from Hockey East. I think that’s it. Also not sure if Holy Cross gives scholarships in football, as they’re in the Patriot League which used to be non-scholarship.

None of those are a good or realistic model for UST.

They need to focus on being like Marquette, Butler, Drake, Creighton. That should be their goal.

Last edited:

There are very few schools outside the Big Ten playing even high level FCS football (let alone FBS), AND playing at least mid-major basketball, AND playing high level college hockey.

Notre Dame of course. Three MAC schools have hockey, with two in the elite NCHC. Boston College, Holy Cross, UConn, UMass, UMaine, UNew Hampshire from Hockey East. I think that’s it. Also not sure if Holy Cross gives scholarships in football, as they’re in the Patriot League which used to be non-scholarship.

They need to focus on being like Marquette, Butler, Drake, Creighton. That should be their goal.
Is there really a reason for the rare hockey + shooty hoops combo? Or is it just happenstance?

OMG...st Thomas is so good in sports....play the bison or whatever they are called these days. Stop the fricking whining...seriously.

They brought things upon themselves with the football program recruiting way above the level of the MIAC football schools. There was a sense of unfairness and jealousy among many member schools.

Saint Thomas University no longer fit the mold of what a MIAC member school is. They are beyond a liberal arts institution.

They dominated the George Durenberger/Pat Weisner All Sports Trophies including winning them twelve straight years.

unfairness and jealousy from member schools...I think not. Well....I attended a championship hockey game between Hamlin and St Thomas a few years back. After it was obvious that St Thomas was going to loose, their fans (adults and students) were hostile to the Hamline students, parents and fans. Its was absolutely disgusting the behavior that was displayed. You can take that to the bank and deposit it. You're not that special.

You are missing quite a few yet. Arizona State, Army, Navy, University of North Dakota off the top of my head. Theres not that many D1 hockey schools so not really sure what you're saying but many do play D1 in Basketball and football too

You are missing quite a few yet. Arizona State, Army, Navy, University of North Dakota off the top of my head. Theres not that many D1 hockey schools so not really sure what you're saying but many do play D1 in Basketball and football too
Did not know Arizona St had a varsity, NCAA team! Thought it was club. Thanks for mentioning them.

Army, Navy, and UND do not play mid-major DI basketball, which is what I said in my post. So that takes out Holy Cross (same league as Army, Navy in basketball) and probably takes out New Hampshire and Maine as well (is America East mid-major? Vermont is pretty good, but guessing it is low-major). Pretty sure MAC is considered mid-major bball.

What I was saying, is what I said: it's rare to find NCAA schools that invest heavily in, and play at a high level, in football, basketball, and hockey, and a good number of them are in the Big Ten. Illinois would be another new one that is looking to add hockey. Notre Dame to me is also equivalently a Big Ten school, and has almost always played hockey with Big Ten schools, even though they'll likely never join the league.

The point in even saying any of this, is the idea that St Thomas will never be able to afford and should not attempt to have DI nationally competitive hockey, and full-scholarship competitive MVFC football, and have aspirations about building up to a mid-major (like MVC) or even high-major (like Big East) in basketball. That is spreading it too thin. In my opinion, the thing to do would be to drop hockey as a varsity sport, and either drop football or have it non-scholarship Pioneer. Let's see what they do.

Did not know Arizona St had a varsity, NCAA team! Thought it was club. Thanks for mentioning them.

Army, Navy, and UND do not play mid-major DI basketball, which is what I said in my post. So that takes out Holy Cross (same league as Army, Navy in basketball) and probably takes out New Hampshire and Maine as well (is America East mid-major? Vermont is pretty good, but guessing it is low-major). Pretty sure MAC is considered mid-major bball.

What I was saying, is what I said: it's rare to find NCAA schools that invest heavily in, and play at a high level, in football, basketball, and hockey, and a good number of them are in the Big Ten. Illinois would be another new one that is looking to add hockey. Notre Dame to me is also equivalently a Big Ten school, and has almost always played hockey with Big Ten schools, even though they'll likely never join the league.

The point in even saying any of this, is the idea that St Thomas will never be able to afford and should not attempt to have DI nationally competitive hockey, and full-scholarship competitive MVFC football, and have aspirations about building up to a mid-major (like MVC) or even high-major (like Big East) in basketball. That is spreading it too thin. In my opinion, the thing to do would be to drop hockey as a varsity sport, and either drop football or have it non-scholarship Pioneer. Let's see what they do.
Notre Dame is a member of the Big 10 in Hockey
They play 5 ACC games in football but are not ACC members in football so they get a great sweetheart deal on TV money and a bowl arrangement.
They are ACC members in all other 21 sports.
They are one of only 16 programs that are D1 in both football and hockey.

Notre Dame is a member of the Big 10 in Hockey
They play 5 ACC games in football but are not ACC members in football so they get a great sweetheart deal on TV money and a bowl arrangement.
They are ACC members in all other 21 sports.
They are one of only 16 programs that are D1 in both football and hockey.
FCS is formally DI in football. That's why they call it a "sub-division".

Most people in the country only consider FBS to be "DI" in football, and probably a lot of them don't even realize the formal distinction.

FCS is formally DI in football. That's why they call it a "sub-division".

Most people in the country only consider FBS to be "DI" in football, and probably a lot of them don't even realize the formal distinction.
I count about 28 schools that are D1 in football and hockey. 16 if you don't consider FCS D1.

When did this become a saint Thomas board?
When there was more than one thread about them.

we better ban all threads about UST
Iowa
Wisconsin
High school football players not yet committed to the gophers too
UCLA
Kansas State

by the way...did you know when you post it bumps this thread to the top of the page?

To answer the thread title, "no" it does not appear that St Thomas is hosed. At least not any more than most college athletic programs currently.

no one gives A F about st Thomas. 99.9975% of the state population DOES NOT CARE about them or has ever heard of them. It's plain and simple. Just a niche group that whines and complains
that no one cares about...especially on a Gopher Football message board.

Isn't a message board for them?

Top Bottom