Spring Practice: Speculation, Observation, Rumination

Urbandale

Reaction score
There are a couple threads hinting around the edges, but I thought maybe we needed a dedicated thread to all things Spring Practice, which begins today.

I'm guessing there won't be any open practices, so observation might be limited. But that doesn't stop the speculation and the rumination!

I'll start. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Ky Thomas jumps to RB#2 behind Mo. I didn't think Cam Wiley was anything special, Trey Potts has been dinged up on a regular basis, and Bryce Williams seems to have been left behind.

For whatever it's worth: this spring still won't feel "normal", but hopefully it is much closer to normal than last pre-season.

Hoping that fall camp will feel pretty dang close to "normal".

We live in a decadent age where the government is trusted to keep everyone perfectly safe from viruses that kill mainly the frail elderly and infirm, same government is charged to keep everyone from getting their feelings hurt, starting with the most sensitive.
Go Gophers

We live in a decadent age where the government is trusted to keep everyone perfectly safe from viruses that kill mainly the frail elderly and infirm, same government is charged to keep everyone from getting their feelings hurt, starting with the most sensitive.
Go Gophers
Well, that wasn't exactly what I had in mind. I guess it was rumination, but it had very little spring practice material in it.

Go Gophers
How's Sweden's herd immunity coming along?

Fleck had a press conference today and no one has posted a thing about it here.

Any speculation if Jason Williamson will move from Running back to Defense. Sure would like to see another guy with Speed at Free Safety and someone that could pick the ball off a little like AWjr used to do for us. I like the guys we have at Safety but we could use more depth.

Listening to Coach makes me want to yell "Ski U Mah" in the stands at TCF.

I'll have to scratch that itch here at home for now...

Fully energized. Ready to go. Let's stay injury free over the Spring...

There are a couple threads hinting around the edges, but I thought maybe we needed a dedicated thread to all things Spring Practice, which begins today.

I'm guessing there won't be any open practices, so observation might be limited. But that doesn't stop the speculation and the rumination!

I'll start. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Ky Thomas jumps to RB#2 behind Mo. I didn't think Cam Wiley was anything special, Trey Potts has been dinged up on a regular basis, and Bryce Williams seems to have been left behind.
I take you don't think that players like Cam Wiley can get better in off season? I guess I'm always in the camp that some players need a bit more time to jell.

U already announced no fans this Spring.
Must have just been announced.

Edit. Possible for Spring Game.
"In the event that Minnesota holds a spring football game, Athletics will follow all state guidelines and work closely with campus with the intent of having fans present," the university said.

Last edited:

The Strib has an article based on the Presser. The theme was depth.
Key points (IMHO)
Spring training roster will have 95 players.
quote: "No jobs will be won in the Spring."
Fleck talked about competition at all positions.
Said WR will be a challenge for Simon (and PJ) as they figure out the rotation.
Raved about leadership of DT grad transfer Pinckney from Clemson.

And - every player is expected to return except for Bateman and St. Juste.

I take you don't think that players like Cam Wiley can get better in off season? I guess I'm always in the camp that some players need a bit more time to jell.
I do indeed think players can get better. But I think Ky Thomas is starting off from a higher level of talent.

Go Gophers
So that’s why I’ve seen such an uptick in “the black SUVs” all over the place.

I got my 1st vaccine shot last week, and I was asked to remove the plastic bottle of water I had in my bag by the TSA this week at MSP. Coincidence?!?! Bill Gates has or knows all my shit now, apparently.

They’re coming! They’re coming!!!!

The Strib has an article based on the Presser. The theme was depth.
Key points (IMHO)
Spring training roster will have 95 players.
quote: "No jobs will be won in the Spring."
Fleck talked about competition at all positions.
Said WR will be a challenge for Simon (and PJ) as they figure out the rotation.
Raved about leadership of DT grad transfer Pinckney from Clemson.

And - every player is expected to return except for Bateman and St. Juste.
I think QB is a position, right?

Go Gophers
Can I nominate you for the Genius Award? It's great to see functional cognition around the world from time to time. You, sir, give me hope!

I hope so! Either way, I hope they don't pound Mo right into the ground with 35 carries a game.
He is a workhorse for sure and will want the ball, but Wiley and a healthy Potts should be plenty to give him the needed breaks.

Any speculation if Jason Williamson will move from Running back to Defense. Sure would like to see another guy with Speed at Free Safety and someone that could pick the ball off a little like AWjr used to do for us. I like the guys we have at Safety but we could use more depth.

I think he stays at running back this year and he surprises some folks. It'll be interesting to see what happens - - we essentially have 4 FR RBs (Williamson, Thomas, Wiley, Potts).

Top Bottom