Spring Practice: Speculation, Observation, Rumination

check the graphs, lockdowns did nothing except destroy businesses, spike mental illness and entrench soft totalitarianism
Check graphs from who? Sweden? The US? Some other country?

And either way, you were wrong about Sweden. You were heralding them in the summer, talking about how come September, Covid would be a thing of the past in Sweden. That didn't happen, what's your explanation for that?

For the sake of this thread (and most of our sanity) please nobody get into a pissing match with GR about lockdowns or anything like that. Take those battles somewhere else.

Fleck seems really excited about where the team is at depth wise. Let’s hope we hit the ground running in 2021 en route to a great season with a really deep and experienced roster.
I can't believe PJ supports the illuminati!!!

I think he stays at running back this year and he surprises some folks. It'll be interesting to see what happens - - we essentially have 4 FR RBs (Williamson, Thomas, Wiley, Potts).
Would be awesome to have all these guys clicking making the defense work all the harder and wear em out.

check the graphs, lockdowns did nothing except destroy businesses, spike mental illness and entrench soft totalitarianism
South Korea. If you think US did anything close to a lockdown, you are delusional...

I think he stays at running back this year and he surprises some folks. It'll be interesting to see what happens - - we essentially have 4 FR RBs (Williamson, Thomas, Wiley, Potts).
I wonder how he'd be as our new Wildcat QB, taking over for Seth Green. I have no idea but just thought I'd pose the question. Plus I seriously doubt that the staff is considering such a move.

Hmmm. May 1st for a game. Isn't that longer than normal as to time span? Not a bad idea though.
Seems about right. Spring ball usually covers about a month so with starting in late March an early May spring game makes sense.

I wonder how he'd be as our new Wildcat QB, taking over for Seth Green. I have no idea but just thought I'd pose the question. Plus I seriously doubt that the staff is considering such a move.
I hope they end the wildcat with Green gone.

Not a fan of gimmicks. Just run our plays that we know, and stuff it down their throats with MO and/or play-action off of Mo running. They can't stop both, so long as we execute.

Not a fan of gimmicks. Just run our plays that we know, and stuff it down their throats with MO and/or play-action off of Mo running. They can't stop both, so long as we execute.
Wouldn't call it a gimmick. Pretty simple play that can be very effective. We didn't run it as well last year as 2019 and not sure why.
Don't think Sean Peyton considers it a gimmick when Tayshon Hill is gobbling up yards.

Wouldn't call it a gimmick. Pretty simple play that can be very effective. We didn't run it as well last year as 2019 and not sure why.
Don't think Sean Peyton considers it a gimmick when Tayshon Hill is gobbling up yards.
Yes, you're correct.

I just don't prefer it, stylistically. But that matters not at all.

I don't really know that wildcat offense qualify as Gimmicks anymore as they are a pretty common part of a lot of offenses. Many times it takes the form of a direct snap to the starting running back but most teams seem to have some form of wildcat that they use from time to time.

With Seth out of the picture it will be interesting to see if they designate a new Wildcat QB or if they just go the direct snap route to Mo the way they did at times last season.

I don't really know that wildcat offense qualify as Gimmicks anymore as they are a pretty common part of a lot of offenses. Many times it takes the form of a direct snap to the starting running back but most teams seem to have some form of wildcat that they use from time to time.

With Seth out of the picture it will be interesting to see if they designate a new Wildcat QB or if they just go the direct snap route to Mo the way they did at times last season.
Direct snap, is a gimmick. For me. Being popular doesn't make it not a gimmick.

South Korea. If you think US did anything close to a lockdown, you are delusional...
South Korea is an authoritarian state. They can control people movement at will. They are the most surveilled country in the world. They control the movement of people down to the block. They are also very effective in contact tracing.

Yes last year was off as using Seth. I'm hoping though that with a stronger offensive line we'll have more consistency no matter who is in the backfield. Does get interesting though when you did put a guy like Seth in the backfield. Makes the defense to over think a bit more. Believe they will do something of sort short of a gimmick but yet effective.

I loved Seth, and will miss him in maroon and gold. Classy young man, and he found unique ways to make a solid contribution. Kudos to the staff on that, as well.

I'd like to see the Wildcat, but altered some.

If we have a guy on the roster who is a threat to throw as well as run, that would be ideal. Seth wasn't much of a thrower, but when they did pass out of the Wildcat they sometimes made big, crucial plays. Fourth down TD pass against Auburn comes to mind.

That being said, I would be in favor of at least experimenting with taking Morgan off the field when we run Wildcat, and replacing him with a genuine pass-catcher, or another blocker. I know that they lined him up way outside, and that forced the opponent to commit to sending one defender outside to cover him — just in case.

The Gophers have some big, strong blockers. Get another big body in there — or a real receiving threat.

South Korea is an authoritarian state. They can control people movement at will. They are the most surveilled country in the world. They control the movement of people down to the block. They are also very effective in contact tracing.
Think you got your directional Koreas mixed up...

I loved Seth, and will miss him in maroon and gold. Classy young man, and he found unique ways to make a solid contribution. Kudos to the staff on that, as well.

I'd like to see the Wildcat, but altered some.

If we have a guy on the roster who is a threat to throw as well as run, that would be ideal. Seth wasn't much of a thrower, but when they did pass out of the Wildcat they sometimes made big, crucial plays. Fourth down TD pass against Auburn comes to mind.

That being said, I would be in favor of at least experimenting with taking Morgan off the field when we run Wildcat, and replacing him with a genuine pass-catcher, or another blocker. I know that they lined him up way outside, and that forced the opponent to commit to sending one defender outside to cover him — just in case.

The Gophers have some big, strong blockers. Get another big body in there — or a real receiving threat.
Morgan off the field in Wildcat at goal line. Run Mo with FR W/O QB Lonenoa Faoa (6'1" 230)--Tua Tagovailoa's cousin. Heavy blocking package with multiple TEs. CAB at wide out. Both Mo and QB (hopefully) are running threats, and multiple tall receivers who can chip and get open. CAB one-on-one at perimeter. Defenses will have to make some tough choices ...

Think you got your directional Koreas mixed up...
Absolutely not. I've been to South Korea and witness it first hand. South Koreans revered authority. They respond well to Democratic Authoritarianism. Part of that is embedded in their psyche with the immediate threat from North Korea. They are getting better through the years with better democratic movement.

They have better control of movement of people during the Covid Pandemic.

Digitally, they are very advanced and wired all over. They have high resolution cameras everywhere. It's not a good country to commit a crime. However, bribery and corruption happens. They have the death penalty for drug crimes. Life imprisonment for high crimes.

Last edited:

Goggle : Matt Campbell and Iowa State spring practice. Very little hitting. Mainly just in helmets. Emphasis on the mental aspects as well as complete focus in the weight room. Why create situations where injuries can occur. Spring game Probably. 7 on 7.

PJ Fleck seems pretty pleased with the current team that he has going into Spring Practice. That bodes well for the upcoming season.

I sure hope that we have a season where we beat both Wiscy and Iowa!

Absolutely not. I've been to South Korea and witness it first hand. South Koreans revered authority.
Here's where your problem is.

SK'ans, like a lot of Asian cultures, have respect for government and respect authority. Yeah I get it, compared to how pathetic Americans are in this regard, that seems like authoritarianism.

It isn't.

Goggle : Matt Campbell and Iowa State spring practice. Very little hitting. Mainly just in helmets. Emphasis on the mental aspects as well as complete focus in the weight room. Why create situations where injuries can occur. Spring game Probably. 7 on 7.
Hmmm. I personally would not choose to go that route, but if that's what he has always done, at Toledo and in Ames, well it seems to be working for him.

Top Bottom