Spring Practice Observations

better QB play can make the WR's look better. A QB who can read coverages - look off defenders - anticipate breaks - throw the ball where the WR is going to be - move around in the pocket to buy more time for a WR to get open.

all of that will help the WR. I could argue that the Gophers did not receive that type of QB play last season.

sure - a stud WR can help make an average QB look better. But I maintain that a good QB helps his WR's more than a good WR helps his QB.

with the proviso that a good passing attack requires a good overall philosophy and scheme - which is drawn up by the OC. (something else that MN may not have received in recent seasons......)

better QB play can make the WR's look better. A QB who can read coverages - look off defenders - anticipate breaks - throw the ball where the WR is going to be - move around in the pocket to buy more time for a WR to get open.

all of that will help the WR. I could argue that the Gophers did not receive that type of QB play last season.

sure - a stud WR can help make an average QB look better. But I maintain that a good QB helps his WR's more than a good WR helps his QB.

with the proviso that a good passing attack requires a good overall philosophy and scheme - which is drawn up by the OC. (something else that MN may not have received in recent seasons......)
I will once again be optimistic and glass-half-full that Fleck & Co will figure out a game plan that has a passing attack that provides a sufficient level of threat to back off defenses. If they can manage that, I think we have receivers who can execute and get a big play every so often.

Yep, a competent qb throwing nice lead passes with a velocity that clears the eye test will help us determine how good or bad the wr room is. Last year we had no idea how the room was other than Jackson is very good.

I’ll mark that down for those three to all be difference makers. Thanks!
Looks like Driver was mostly a defensive player in HS, or at least Gophersports only lists his defensive stats, and he has one catch at Pen St, for 8 yards. Let's hope that he develops here.

Looks like Driver was mostly a defensive player in HS, or at least Gophersports only lists his defensive stats, and he has one catch at Pen St, for 8 yards. Let's hope that he develops here.
Well, when PJ wasn't a social studies teacher he was an NFL wide receiver so why the doubt he might not develop with the Gophers? :)

The Gopherhole narrative is is always that are previous QB was awful and the new guy is leaps and bounds better.

Athan was by no means a star but you look back at some of his throws in big spots(the Nebraska dime to win. The Illinois pass dropped in for a TD, that we ultimately wasted with a last minute collapse).

The same Gopher crew that mocked the past QB’s last year saying Athan was the answer are at it again. I hope this year they are finally right.

The Gopherhole narrative is is always that are previous QB was awful and the new guy is leaps and bounds better.

Athan was by no means a star but you look back at some of his throws in big spots(the Nebraska dime to win. The Illinois pass dropped in for a TD, that we ultimately wasted with a last minute collapse).

The same Gopher crew that mocked the past QB’s last year saying Athan was the answer are at it again. I hope this year they are finally right.
You gave two really bad examples to try to justify that Kaliakmanis was a serviceable quarterback and it's the fans who are the problem. Jackson absolutely bailed him out on the Nebraska throw and the Illinois drop wouldn't have mattered if AK didn't air mail a high school difficulty level five yard pass to a wide open tight end on the game sealing drive on third down.

Last year was Demry Croft levels of fucking awful at the qb spot. Show anyone outside of our fanbase video of his throws from last season and the most complementary assessments will be that he was wildly inconsistent and was a deer in the headlights when it mattered. You're gonna see the same shit results if he sees the field for Rutgers this year. I appreciate that the kid wore the maroon and gold and tried, but I can't understand the amount of revisionist history some people try to manufacture about how the qb wasnt that bad and it was everyone or everything else.

Let's talk about the "other" pass in the Illinois game now.

Let's talk about the "other" pass in the Illinois game now.
Or when he nearly threw a pick in Iowa City on the drive prior to the invalid signal in a spot where you absolutely have to know better.

Athan is capable of making some beautiful throws (aforementioned Illinois TD, Michigan before halftime), but for every perfect throw there are 10+ head-scratchers.

Well, when PJ wasn't a social studies teacher he was an NFL wide receiver so why the doubt he might not develop with the Gophers? :)
Since PJ was an NFL wide receiver when he wasn't a social studies teacher (and he had two all-Big Ten WRs early on), the lack of game-changing receivers over the past four years is all the more disappointing.

You gave two really bad examples to try to justify that Kaliakmanis was a serviceable quarterback and it's the fans who are the problem. Jackson absolutely bailed him out on the Nebraska throw and the Illinois drop wouldn't have mattered if AK didn't air mail a high school difficulty level five yard pass to a wide open tight end on the game sealing drive on third down.

Last year was Demry Croft levels of fucking awful at the qb spot. Show anyone outside of our fanbase video of his throws from last season and the most complementary assessments will be that he was wildly inconsistent and was a deer in the headlights when it mattered. You're gonna see the same shit results if he sees the field for Rutgers this year. I appreciate that the kid wore the maroon and gold and tried, but I can't understand the amount of revisionist history some people try to manufacture about how the qb wasnt that bad and it was everyone or everything else.
PJ literally mentioned in post-game the bad throw prior to Jackson's game saving catch that should have happened. He was pointing a finger at AK right then.

any new observations from spring practice?

if a football team practices in the woods, does it make a sound?

reminder - the only Spring practice that is open to the general public is this Thursday at 4:30pm. this will be at the indoor facility.

I'll be doing the PA for a HS track meet, so I hope someone on here is able to attend the practice and provide some observations.

Driver was a DB and WR in HS, I think. He was recruited by Penn Sate as a DB. He asked to switch positions after a year, but didn't crack the line-up against recruited WRs. Now he is here, learning the college-level WR craft. A good athlete, apparently. Hope he is a "find" at WR.

I'm on red alert for Maxbro. He is a wimp, we're foolish to think a FCS QB has what it takes to play in the B1G! Praying that Lindsey gets the locker room behind him and Usurps Max to leads us to a championship!!!! All so Jerry Jones can NIL him over to Arkansas... Woe is ME!

any new observations from spring practice?

reminder - the only Spring practice that is open to the general public is this Thursday at 4:30pm. this will be at the indoor facility.

I'll be doing the PA for a HS track meet, so I hope someone on here is able to attend the practice and provide some observations.
They switched the practice on Thursday to Huntington Bank Stadium. Really glad they did that.

Driver was a DB and WR in HS, I think. He was recruited by Penn Sate as a DB. He asked to switch positions after a year, but didn't crack the line-up against recruited WRs. Now he is here, learning the college-level WR craft. A good athlete, apparently. Hope he is a "find" at WR.
His dad knows a thing or 2 about the position.

Perfect for retirees, bankers.

Carroll really struggles with pass blocking.

He's still a really good RT, and 2 time All B1G HM, but pass blocking is certainly his weakness. I hope for Carroll's sake someone can step up, and give us a similar level of play at RT, so he can showcase himself for the NFL at his natural position of Guard, in his final year.

According to Willwin40 he’ll be a difference maker. I hope he’s right

Lot of WRs, including a few in last year of eligibility, ahead of Driver. Unless Driver exhibits special readiness, I think a big contribution from him is likely a 2025 thing. Happy to be wrong, of course.

Last edited:

I'm on red alert for Maxbro. He is a wimp, we're foolish to think a FCS QB has what it takes to play in the B1G! Praying that Lindsey gets the locker room behind him and Usurps Max to leads us to a championship!!!! All so Jerry Jones can NIL him over to Arkansas... Woe is ME!
Howl do you know so much about Brosmer and that he’s a wimp? Have you met him and talked to him? You must be quite an expert.

Howl do you know so much about Brosmer and that he’s a wimp? Have you met him and talked to him? You must be quite an expert.
Thinking it was sarcasm...

Top Bottom