Sports parents strike again…

This is bonkers. What a sad state of affairs. Orono athletics has a bad reputation in this regard, which is unfortunate to those Orono families that don’t have this entitlement.

Go Gophers!!

This is bonkers. What a sad state of affairs. Orono athletics has a bad reputation in this regard, which is unfortunate to those Orono families that don’t have this entitlement.

Go Gophers!!
In the end it just hurts the kids they think they're helping. It's pathetic.

There are certainly situations where it is appropriate for parents to be openly critical of a coach. But the coach not doing everything exactly how they want is not a valid reason.

Edit: Didn't see attached story

Last edited:

In the end it just hurts the kids they think they're helping. It's pathetic.

There are certainly situations where it is appropriate for parents to be openly critical of a coach. But the coach not doing everything exactly how they want is not a valid reason.

Reading the story seems the main motivation seems to be that the Coach wasn't doing enough to get their girls into college. Probably on full or partial scholarships.

That's a very high standard indeed.

One parent was upset, that their kid was not named captain for next season. Some of the Orono parents sound like complete tools.

My kids are in the sweet spot for youth sports -- not yet high school but old enough where it's not just chaos. We just do house rec leagues (not travelling competitive), and even those the parents and families are intense. The best I can describe these parents is "dweebs", knowing there are probably a lot of sports dads on this site. Like...the expectation is that we put more effort into this rec sport than anything else in our lives.

Parish went into detail on the Power Trip morning show Tuesday or Wednesday. The shit those parents were doing is so stupid.

Parish also said that all the college coaches call him and when they hear about these parents, he will tell them the truth, it will hurt their daughters opportunities.

Bunch of spoiled rich entitled parents.

Last edited:

Parish went into detail on the Power Trip morning show Tuesday or Wednesday. The shit those parents were doing is so stupid.

Parish also said that all the college coaches call him and when they hear about these parents, he will tell them the truth, it will hurt their daughters opportunities.

I'm normally not a fan of Parrish, but I love to see him go after these parents and hope he keeps it up.

in my experience, Hockey parents are some of the most 'intense.' they tend to be very involved - they have to be with the cost of that sport - but as this incident shows, it's easier to cross the line when you're close to the line to begin with.

Wrestling parents IMHO are right up there with Hockey parents - also very intense. One common denominator is that Hockey and Wrestling both have very organized youth programs starting at an early age, so those parents spent a ton of time on the road hauling kids to tournaments every weekend.

which is not to say that Football or Basketball or Baseball parents can't get crazy. but Hockey and Wrestling stand out to me as far as the parents I've dealt with or observed over the years.

Yeah....it was a really good segment....and good for him for saying it. He didn't have to name names.....but everyone connected to the program probably knows who he was talking about. Overzealous helicopter sporting parents are some of the worst. And it sounds like a few of these Orono parents went well above that even.

Couple updates/frustrations from the wide world of youth sports. My daughter had an 11U softball tournament over the weekend. The coaches were getting heated and yelling at the ump, who was a teenage girl. At one point, the coach went over, put his hand on her shoulder, and spoke sternly to her. All the moms of course jumped up and yelled at him to get his hands off her, and the ump started tearing up. Probably new to umping and could use to pointers, but come on man. This is 11U rec softball. Get ahold of yourself.

My sons play 13U rec baseball. Their best player just got "traded" to another team a week before the year-end tournament. The other team traded a player that wasn't fitting in with his team. My sons' team was totally deflated and got smoked in their next game. The other team was already stacked and now have another solid player. My sons' team lost their best player and now have to deal with a new teammate that needs extra attention. WTF...what happened to balancing the rec teams? And now stacking one team at the expense of another right before the YE tourny??

F**k youth sports!

/rant

Last edited:

Couple updates/frustrations from the wide world of youth sports. My daughter had an 11U softball tournament over the weekend. The coaches were getting heated and yelling at the ref, who was a teenage girl. At one point, the coach went over, put his hand on her shoulder, and spoke sternly to her. All the moms of course jumped up and yelled at him top get his hands off her. Probably new to umping and could use to pointers, but come on man. This is 11U rec softball. Get ahold of yourself.

My sons play 13U rec baseball. Their best player just got "traded" to another team a week before the year-end tournament. The other team traded a player that wasn't fitting in with his team. My sons' team was totally deflated and got smoked in their next game. The other team was already stacked and now have another solid player. My sons' team lost their best player and now have to deal with a new teammate that needs extra attention. WTF...what happened to balancing the rec teams? And now stacking one team at the expense of another right before the YE tourny??

F**k youth sports!

/rant
I can't imagine getting upset at a ref/ump at that age. It's mind blowing. Back when I was in college I reffed for a JV summer basketball league. Would never do it again, even though a good fried was the one organizing the league. It was so pathetic. And this was over 20 years ago. A call by the ref does not change how much or little players develop in these kinds of leagues.

Couple updates/frustrations from the wide world of youth sports. My daughter had an 11U softball tournament over the weekend. The coaches were getting heated and yelling at the ref, who was a teenage girl. At one point, the coach went over, put his hand on her shoulder, and spoke sternly to her. All the moms of course jumped up and yelled at him top get his hands off her. Probably new to umping and could use to pointers, but come on man. This is 11U rec softball. Get ahold of yourself.

F**k youth sports!

/rant
Trading players? Good lord.

F**k youth sports!

/rant
Tell me they at least got a couple future draft picks out of the trade?

Do these kids have agents? Do they get NIL?

My daughters just finished their soccer careers, and they played at a high level. In about 8th grade a parent sent me an article about women's soccer scholarships. At that time the average award was about 6k a year. Couple that with there being no real professional pot-of-gold-at-the-end-of-the-rainbow, and it quickly dawned on me that for the vast majority of young women, there's no good reason to play for a scholarship. At $2,500 a year to play club soccer + travel expenses, the parents could just bank that money & offset the meager scholarship award their kids might someday earn.

Not long after that epiphany, I remember seeing that 3 girls who played for MTA, which is sort of the Kobra Kai of soccer here in the metro, had all committed to Bemidji State. A soccer Dad friend asked me "Would you rather live in Bemidji for 4 years on a D2 scholarship, when tuition is only $9,800 in the first place, or live in St Paul, and play D3 at Macalester, or St Thomas on academic scholarship for the same price?". I didn't have to think hard about that one.

Generally speaking the bad parents were frustrated athletes who'd never achieved their own dreams, and were trhying to live them now via their kids. I wish I had a nickle for every time I heard "G*D D*MN IT BRITTNEY...GET AGGRESSIVE!!!!!" Conversely, the parents I met who had played D2, D1 & professionally all seemed to get it, and let their kids play without interfering, or getting too worked up.

My daughters just finished their soccer careers, and they played at a high level. In about 8th grade a parent sent me an article about women's soccer scholarships. At that time the average award was about 6k a year. Couple that with there being no real professional pot-of-gold-at-the-end-of-the-rainbow, and it quickly dawned on me that for the vast majority of young women, there's no good reason to play for a scholarship. At $2,500 a year to play club soccer + travel expenses, the parents could just bank that money & offset the meager scholarship award their kids might someday earn.

Not long after that epiphany, I remember seeing that 3 girls who played for MTA, which is sort of the Kobra Kai of soccer here in the metro, had all committed to Bemidji State. A soccer Dad friend asked me "Would you rather live in Bemidji for 4 years on a D2 scholarship, when tuition is only $9,800 in the first place, or live in St Paul, and play D3 at Macalester, or St Thomas on academic scholarship for the same price?". I didn't have to think hard about that one.

Generally speaking the bad parents were frustrated athletes who'd never achieved their own dreams, and were trhying to live them now via their kids. I wish I had a nickle for every time I heard "G*D D*MN IT BRITTNEY...GET AGGRESSIVE!!!!!" Conversely, the parents I met who had played D2, D1 & professionally all seemed to get it, and let their kids play without interfering, or getting too worked up.
Now college in MN will be free for many. Will be interesting how that changes HS/club sports.

Top Bottom