Sports Bank (Pathetic Review)

I believe Tubby will base his decisions more on D than O. Last year the Gophs won in PR by not allowing WV to score in the last 2.5 minutes. Championship teams do things like that. Good D keeps your team in the game. Lock down D at crunch time guaratees wins. Tubby raves about Austin's D. He is gonna play lots of minutes. Joe and Andre appear to have the talent to score. How much they play will depend n their ability to learn and execute Tubby's D.

To be clear RW is the best athlete on the team but Austin isn't far behind. This guy has all the atleticism in the world. If he were a few inches taller he'd be almost unstoppable. Unlike Rodney Williams he has some ball handling skills. They aren't fabulous but they are good enough combined with his great athletic ability to beat 9 out of ten guys in the Big 10. If his jump shot gets to about average to above average he'll be very hard to guard.

As a UK Fan, I watched every single game Tubby coached there, Austin is a great defender and that will play a major role. He's great at getting in the passing lanes, he's long, quick, fast and plays with passion. Tubby figures if guys can't score in any way at all by the time they get to college they aren't worth recruiting so he gets them to play hard on defense. If they don't do that, they won't play all that much.

I've seen Andre play in person being from Tennessee. He's a great athlete as well but he's not the Athlete Austin is IMO. Andre is going to play the point mostly. He's a combo guard really but you don't need Chris Paul at PG to win in the Big 10. You need a guy who can get you into your offense, score when needed, guard, be a leader and not crack under pressure. Andre is a very poised, smart, hard nosed player. He's totally the kind of player Tubby loves, he's going to do well there unless he really doesn't have the talent but I believe he does and Tubby will give him every chance to prove it.

I believe Tubby will base his decisions more on D than O. Last year the Gophs won in PR by not allowing WV to score in the last 2.5 minutes. Championship teams do things like that. Good D keeps your team in the game. Lock down D at crunch time guaratees wins. Tubby raves about Austin's D. He is gonna play lots of minutes. Joe and Andre appear to have the talent to score. How much they play will depend n their ability to learn and execute Tubby's D.

Austin had many opportunities to demonstrate that "lock down D" last year and didn't. Maybe something happened over the summer.

I think..., I believe..., IMO, I tend to.....

Not a goddamned one of us knows, except to bull$hit opinions based on nothing.

It all reminds me of William Shakespeare:

To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
Macbeth Act 5, scene 5, 19–28

The greatest monologue of all time.

Jeezo beeezo Doc! Is it that long since they had a sale on Grain Belt in Fargo? Fwiw I'm also tired of the hot air and ready for the season to begin.

It depends how you're judging athleticism. If you're counting quickness, which I think you should, I don't see how Andre doesn't have the edge. They both can jump pretty damn high. I'm not sure there's a big difference in terms of jumping ability though. Anyway, I think we'll see a huge jump in Austin's impact this year.

To be clear RW is the best athlete on the team but Austin isn't far behind. This guy has all the atleticism in the world. If he were a few inches taller he'd be almost unstoppable. Unlike Rodney Williams he has some ball handling skills. They aren't fabulous but they are good enough combined with his great athletic ability to beat 9 out of ten guys in the Big 10. If his jump shot gets to about average to above average he'll be very hard to guard.

As a UK Fan, I watched every single game Tubby coached there, Austin is a great defender and that will play a major role. He's great at getting in the passing lanes, he's long, quick, fast and plays with passion. Tubby figures if guys can't score in any way at all by the time they get to college they aren't worth recruiting so he gets them to play hard on defense. If they don't do that, they won't play all that much.

I've seen Andre play in person being from Tennessee. He's a great athlete as well but he's not the Athlete Austin is IMO. Andre is going to play the point mostly. He's a combo guard really but you don't need Chris Paul at PG to win in the Big 10. You need a guy who can get you into your offense, score when needed, guard, be a leader and not crack under pressure. Andre is a very poised, smart, hard nosed player. He's totally the kind of player Tubby loves, he's going to do well there unless he really doesn't have the talent but I believe he does and Tubby will give him every chance to prove it.

Austin had many opportunities to demonstrate that "lock down D" last year and didn't. Maybe something happened over the summer.

Not lock down, steals, hand in the passing lane & help/team defense is what Tubby likes from Austin.

What had people talking this summer was his improved ball handling skills. I'd say he's right there for 2nd-3rd most athletic and thought it was posted or tweeted that he looked to be a legit 6'-5"+ now days.

Top Bottom