Sports Bank (Pathetic Review)

Reaction score
http://www.thesportsbank.net/colleg...golden-gophers-college-basketball-111-in-111/

Welcome to The Sports Bank’s second annual college basketball season preview series. Last year we looked at 99 teams in 99 days. This year, we are being slightly more aggressive and expanding to 111 teams in 111 days. We will rank the 74 power conference teams and top 37 mid-majors in reverse power ranking order. We’ll break down rosters, non-conference schedules, and pick a player to watch for each team.

Tubby Smith has to be on the hot seat, right? In his four years as Minnesota head coach, the Golden Gophers have not finished with a winning Big Ten record or picked up a NCAA Tournament victory. With a young roster and unproven backcourt, that trend will likely continue in 2011-2012.

GO HERE FOR OUR MINNESOTA FOOTBALL PREVIEW
MINNESOTA GOLDEN GOPHERS
Last Season: 9th, 6-12 in Big Ten, 17-14 overall
Predicted Big Ten finish: 9th

Projected Depth Chart
C: Ralph Sampson III (Sr)/Mo Walker (So)/Elliot Eliason (Fr)
PF: Trevoe Mbakwe (Sr)/Andre Ingram (Jr)/Oto Osenieks (Fr)
SF: Rodney Williams (Jr)
SG: Austin Hollins (So)/Chip Armelin (So)/Julian Welch (Jr)/Andre Hollins (Fr)/Joe Coleman (Fr)
PG: Maverick Ahanmisi (So)

Gone: PG-Al Nolen, SG-Blake Hoffarber, F/C-Colton Iverson (transfer-Colorado State), PG-Devoe Joseph (transfer-Oregon), F/C-Dominique Dawson (transfer-Kentucky Wesleyan)

minnesota gophers cheerleader

2010-2011 Outlook:
The Achilles heel for the Gophers last season was their guard play. With Devoe Joseph’s off-the-court issues and eventual transfer and Al Nolen sidelined with a broken foot, Minnesota’s backcourt depth was depleted. Tubby was forced to play Blake Hoffarber out of position at the point while freshmen Austin Hollins, Maverick Ahanmisi, and Chip Armelin learned on the fly.

The aforementioned trio now provides the experience in the Gophs backcourt and will be expected to take on bigger roles this season. JUCO transfer Julian Welch along with freshmen Joe Coleman and Andre Hollins add more depth and a ton of options at shooting guard. However, Ahanmisi is the only true point guard of that bunch again leaving Minnesota short-handed at the one. Also, the Gophers need to find a three-point threat who can replace Hoffarbur.

Athletic junior Rodney Williams returns to the small forward spot. He has underachieved in his first two years at Minnesota and will need a breakout season for the Gophers to be in the NCAA Tournament picture. With no true back-up for Williams, expect Tubby to use a three-guard look for stretches when Williams is on the bench. (Austin Hollins, Oto)

Despite Colton Iverson’s decision to transfer, Minnesota’s strength will still be up-front. Trevor Mbakwe was as good as advertised in his first season with the Gophs leading the team in scoring and rebounding. He made the USA team at this summer’s World University Games and is a force down low due to his strength and athleticism.

After testing the NBA Draft waters, Ralph Sampson III wisely chose to return to school and will start at center. His inside/outside offensive ability and length as a shot blocker make up for his lack of strength down low.

Like the shooting guard situation, there will competition to see who earns minutes behind Mbakwe and Sampson off the bench. Mo Walker is a big body down low and the only reserve post player to see minutes last season, though he only appeared in twelve games. Redshirt freshmen Elliot Eliason and Oto Osenieks will try to work themselves into the rotation along with JUCO transfer Andre Ingram.

With no true road game in the non-conference schedule and a weak field at this year’s Old Spice Classic, Minnesota should be able to get off to a solid start just like they did last year. I just do not see this team finishing with a winning conference mark unless the guard play really exceeds expectations. Then we can let the Tubby Smith hot seat really catch fire.

Player to Watch: Rodney Williams
While Williams is explosive at the rim and uses his length to be a solid rebounder and defender, his offensive game has held him back. He has shown zero consistency with his outside shot and does not possess the ball-handling ability to effectively take defenders off the bounce. If Williams cannot show improvements in those areas, it will not only kill his NBA Draft stock but also hurt the Gophers as a team.

That was a pretty pathetic review, in that it wasn't a review at all.

people are not banking on Oto, Julian, and Andre being good. I hope they prove all the ney-sayers wrong

A good review I thought, hit on the question marks, evaluated the team strength and weeknesses, hard to tell at this point how it is going to end up, I wouldn't expect it to be to much different than mentioned in the article. Tubby won't be on the hot seat with this team, 500 in the Big Ten will be a success.

Nice preview. I think at this point we can expect Andre Hollins to be listed at pg.

Review can be an evaluation, run down or analysis.

That is true. However, the word "review" consists of recounting things which have already happened. Pray tell, how does a *preview* of something that has not yet happened in any way, shape, or form, constitute a "review"? Thanks in advance!

That is true. However, the word "review" consists of recounting things which have already happened.

Read it again. Most of the write-up is review of last season.

Again, a review is an evaluation, which means it takes an absolute prick to bitch about the wording.

Read it again. Most of the write-up is review of last season.

Actually, it isn't, but you go ahead and believe whatever you want to believe. The word preview is even in the first sentence of the article, and it is a *prediction* of how the team will do in 2011-12, not how they did in 2010-11.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to reading my preview of this movie Gone with the Wind I've been hearing so much about.

Welch is slotted to play PG instead of SG, too.

There are alot of moving parts on this team, I think Coleman, Austin Hollins, and Oseniek will see some time at SF. I think Ahanmisi, Andre Hollins, and Welch will all see playing time at PG. Who knows RW might see some time at SG along with one of the PG's.

Line-up

Projected Depth Chart
SF: Rodney Williams (Jr)/Joe Coleman (Fr)
SG: Austin Hollins (So)/Chip Armelin (So)/
PG: Andre Hollins (Fr)/Julian Welch (Jr)/Maverick Ahanmisi (So)

weaknesses: Ball handling, pure pg play, outside shooting, guard experience.
strengths: depth, athleticsm, length, shot-blocking, Mbakwe down low. Have the bodies to press.
Unkowns: Andre H., Welch, Ingram, Elliot, and Otto have yet to see any big ten action. If one or more of them deliver, we could finish in the top 5 or 6.

Projected Depth Chart
SF: Rodney Williams (Jr)/Joe Coleman (Fr)
SG: Austin Hollins (So)/Chip Armelin (So)/
PG: Andre Hollins (Fr)/Julian Welch (Jr)/Maverick Ahanmisi (So)

We will see guys play many more positions than that-

5- Ralph, Elliot, Mo,
4- Trevor, Mo, Ralph, Ingram, Oto
3- Austin, Rodney, Oto
2- Andre, Julian, Austin, Chip, Joe
1- Andre, Julian, Maverick

I was just following the format that Clem's gophers started. I was thinking where players will get the most time. Was it a mistake on yours to list Austin as the starter at the 3? Tubby started Rodney and Sampson no matter how good or bad they played... instigating rumors.

Rodney does not have the Sampson starter guarantee, though I would guess Rodney will start the majority of games. If Austin keeps getting steals and can handle the rock/play a some 2 guard their minutes will be similar.

I don't see Austin starting.

I think Welch and Andre will play at the same time and share point guard duties, point guard by committee.

PG Andre/Welch
SG Andre/Welch
SF Rodney
PF RS3
C Mbakwe

I think Austin Hollins is shoe in to start at the 2. He's the 2nd best athlete on your team and one of the best in whole conference. I think you guys will press a lot this year. Unless your facing teams that do the same thing to you all game long, ball handling experience is over rated.

Austin hollins is the 2nd best athlete on our team? RWjr. and Mbakwe anyone? I'm pretty sure Joe Coleman, and Andre hollins have him beat too, but you haven't seen them yet I take it.

Actually, it isn't, but you go ahead and believe whatever you want to believe. The word preview is even in the first sentence of the article, and it is a *prediction* of how the team will do in 2011-12, not how they did in 2010-11.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to reading my preview of this movie Gone with the Wind I've been hearing so much about.

I will go ahead and say 90% + of your posts has been b!tching about something someone else has said. Jus sayin'...gets old.

I think Austin Hollins is shoe in to start at the 2. He's the 2nd best athlete on your team and one of the best in whole conference. I think you guys will press a lot this year. Unless your facing teams that do the same thing to you all game long, ball handling experience is over rated.

I think you are right on to start the season, but I also think the starter at the 2 position is going to have to score consistantly to maintain that position. Based on last years performance it could be anyone, hopefully one of the SG's will step forward and provide that scoring punch. That is the person that will ultimately start. It could be Austin, Armelin, Welch, Andre, Coleman???

I don't see Austin starting.

I think Welch and Andre will play at the same time and share point guard duties, point guard by committee.

PG Andre/Welch
SG Andre/Welch
SF Rodney
PF RS3
C Mbakwe

I tend to agree with this. Barring big developments in a few of these guys over the summer I feel like Rodney should be playing about 15-20 minutes at SF and then backing up RSIII at the PF. Hollins should be spending most of his time at SF with the combo of Welch, Andre Hollins, Coleman, Armelin and Ahanmisi handling the 1 and 2 slots. Having Rodney and Austin in the game at the same time seems like a bad pairing to me (based on last year's play).

I think..., I believe..., IMO, I tend to.....

Not a goddamned one of us knows, except to bull$hit opinions based on nothing.

It all reminds me of William Shakespeare:

To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
Macbeth Act 5, scene 5, 19–28

The greatest monologue of all time.

I tend to agree with this. Barring big developments in a few of these guys over the summer I feel like Rodney should be playing about 15-20 minutes at SF and then backing up RSIII at the PF. Hollins should be spending most of his time at SF with the combo of Welch, Andre Hollins, Coleman, Armelin and Ahanmisi handling the 1 and 2 slots. Having Rodney and Austin in the game at the same time seems like a bad pairing to me (based on last year's play).

Hard to know what the combinations will be and who will get the minutes. I look at it a little differently. An NCAA bubble team has one guy who can consistently score during the last three minutes of a B10 road game. A sweet sixteen caliber team has two players in that category and a final four team has three. At this point I'm not sure if we have one of those players.

What the hell do you expect on a forum? Do you want people to simply post news articles and boxscores and never give opinions?

Thankfully we have grumpy ol' Dr. Don to always tell people that they don't know what they're talking about. I would guess that people would rather read opinions about the team than read your comments talking about beer or bitching about people giving opinions.

I think..., I believe..., IMO, I tend to.....

Not a goddamned one of us knows, except to bull$hit opinions based on nothing.

It all reminds me of William Shakespeare:

To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
Macbeth Act 5, scene 5, 19–28

The greatest monologue of all time.

What the hell do you expect on a forum? Do you want people to simply post news articles and boxscores and never give opinions?

Thankfully we have grumpy ol' Dr. Don to always tell people that they don't know what they're talking about. I would guess that people would rather read opinions about the team than read your comments talking about beer or bitching about people giving opinions.

I expect people to give opinions, as long as the opinions are based on something factual, Mr. Dogbreath. An opinion, without substantiation, is just that....empty nonsense.

I expect people to give opinions, as long as the opinions are based on something factual, Mr. Dogbreath. An opinion, without substantiation, is just that....empty nonsense.

One thing I have to give you credit for Don: you don't speculate- you go straight to the empty nonsense.
Sticking to your strong suit, I guess.

Hard to know what the combinations will be and who will get the minutes. I look at it a little differently. An NCAA bubble team has one guy who can consistently score during the last three minutes of a B10 road game. A sweet sixteen caliber team has two players in that category and a final four team has three. At this point I'm not sure if we have one of those players.

This post depresses me, because it's true. We can analyze the strengths and weaknesses of this team to death. But winning on the road (or beating the big boys at home) in the B1G requires someone who can be counted on to score in those final minutes. Trevor and Ralph are the best players on the team, but they are not that guy. We failed horribly at it after Al went down and I'm not sure any of the new guys will be that guy either. I guess we have to hope so. Andre is the only one who seems likely.

I believe Tubby will base his decisions more on D than O. Last year the Gophs won in PR by not allowing WV to score in the last 2.5 minutes. Championship teams do things like that. Good D keeps your team in the game. Lock down D at crunch time guarantees wins. Tubby raves about Austin's D. He is gonna play lots of minutes. Joe and Andre appear to have the talent to score. How much they play will depend n their ability to learn and execute Tubby's D.

Howeda7 and emil expressed opinions with some substance to back them. Those are opinions I can respect.

Top Bottom