Speculation: Wisconsin Game Will Get Cancelled

LesBolstad

Reaction score
Covid concerns. Sorry, speculation at this point. I jumped the gun.

PJ said they hope to practice Wednesday and hope to play the game but it depends on the tests today.

Wisconsin is shitting their pants...they miss one more game, then they’re out of Big Ten championship contention.

By us being COVID19 positive cause cancellation would be a great way to dick them over 👍

Wisconsin is shitting their pants...they miss one more game, then they’re out of Big Ten championship contention.

By us being COVID19 positive cause cancellation would be a great way to dick them over 👍
They’re out of contention anyways unless northwestern loses two of:
Illinois
Michigan State
Minnesota

Yeah, but NW already all but eliminated them already.

From the Strib - looks like it all hinges on how many players are confirmed to have new positive tests.

The Gophers athletic department announced Monday night the football team would not practice Tuesday, instead conducting only virtual meetings, because of “presumptive COVID-19 positive tests Monday.”

Fleck said in his video conference Monday that players who test positive from one of the daily antigen tests are presumed positive until follow up PCR tests can confirm.

The Gophers are currently waiting for those confirmatory tests, but the athletic department decided to pause while waiting for those results. While not a Big Ten mandated shutter, the Gopher relied on their medical team for this call. It’s unclear how the team will continue if all or many of the new positive cases are confirmed.

I’d guess based on what happened at other schools they’re either all false positives and it is a one day shut down or they’re all real positives and it is a 2 week shutdown.

it doesn’t seem like they’d cancel practice for just a couple of positives and it doesn’t seem likely that they get 50/50 split on false positives either

They’re out of contention anyways unless northwestern loses two of:
Illinois
Michigan State
Minnesota

Come to think of it, if Northwestern had a 2 game 'Rona Outbreak, they clinch the West

Come to think of it, if Northwestern had a 2 game 'Rona Outbreak, they clinch the West
If Minnesota canceled northwestern game they’d have to lose to Illinois and michigan state

Crazier things have happened but it’s all but over

Someone needs to do the right thing and get this game played on the cross conference week to keep the game streak going.
Yeah I agree.
SEC and pac 12 are setting some nice precedents right now that makes me think it happens if it gets canceled. The saving grace may be northwestern winning the division.
Also helpful that Maryland could make up game with Michigan state.

Ohio state vs northwestern
Michigan state vs maryland
Minnesota vs Wisconsin
Iowa vs Indiana
Purdue vs Michigan
Illinois vs penn state
Nebraska vs Rutgers

No repeats in that set up

Can we delete this thread? It is speculation but the title reads that it will be a fact. Seems premature.

don’t we have the longest consecutive streak of games played with WI in college football?

By my count sconnie is 2-3 with two forfeit losses. At very least they could've fielded a team vs Nebraska.

By my count sconnie is 2-3 with two forfeit losses. At very least they could've fielded a team vs Nebraska.
I think I could have fielded a team vs nebraska. Just kidding, but I like the way you think about the forfeits.

Can we delete this thread? It is speculation but the title reads that it will be a fact. Seems premature.
It's always fun for Minnesota "fans" to speculate. "If it ain't bad, it ain't news."

I bet they’re regretting not playing Neb now. They could’ve brought 11 guys and had them play both ways the whole game and still won. And maybe a kicker for after all those TDs but they wouldn’t have needed a punter.

Yeah I agree.
SEC and pac 12 are setting some nice precedents right now that makes me think it happens if it gets canceled. The saving grace may be northwestern winning the division.
Also helpful that Maryland could make up game with Michigan state.

Ohio state vs northwestern
Michigan state vs maryland
Minnesota vs Wisconsin
Iowa vs Indiana
Purdue vs Michigan
Illinois vs penn state
Nebraska vs Rutgers

No repeats in that set up
tenor.gif

If the title read Will the WI game be cancelled no one could take issue.
The BIG season is a cluster anyway.
Just push the NCAA committee that chooses the Final Four to accept tOSU to shut tOSU up and let this season die a peaceful death.
Even NE might be happy now that their delusions about what a great team and coach they have are crushed.

Last edited:

They were out when they lost to NW.

Which remaining team on NW's schedule is going to beat them?? They've already played, and beaten, the tough teams in the West.

Garbage take, sounds petty enough to come from the Wisconsin fanbase.

at the risk of sounding cynical, the Gophers are not the most "open" program when it comes to disclosing information on injuries, covid et al. So, it may be hard to find out exactly what the situation is this week.

My question would be - what is the time frame for playing/not playing a game? If the Gophers decide they cannot play against Wisconsin, do they have to notify the B1G or Wisc by a certain time or date - or can they wake up Saturday morning and decide they're not playing?

I would prefer for my radio station to not have 6 hours of dead air on Saturday because I programmed the computer to run a game that didn't happen.

at the risk of sounding cynical, the Gophers are not the most "open" program when it comes to disclosing information on injuries, covid et al. So, it may be hard to find out exactly what the situation is this week.

My question would be - what is the time frame for playing/not playing a game? If the Gophers decide they cannot play against Wisconsin, do they have to notify the B1G or Wisc by a certain time or date - or can they wake up Saturday morning and decide they're not playing?

I would prefer for my radio station to not have 6 hours of dead air on Saturday because I programmed the computer to run a game that didn't happen.
I think games can be cancelled up to day of if a team gets into the red/red zone.

Top Bottom