Spann-Ford highest rated TE

You're wrong again. As I've explained to you multiple times, Ko Kieft played the U-TE position, which is mainly a blocking TE, while BSF played the Y-TE position, a more all-around TE, who typically catches more passes.

It was Nick Kallerup who could not supplant Ko Kieft because he was the back-up at the U-TE position, not BSF.

This season Nick Kallerup is the main guy at the U-TE, while BSF continues to man his Y-TE position.
Oh got it

Bump for 'some guy':

- Please define what you mean specifically by saying BSF could be "on the bench again this year in big ten play"?

Was Ko Kieft also "on the bench in big ten play", last year?

What is the required % of snaps to not be "on the bench in big ten play"?
To be the primary player at your position when not injured

It’s fine if you consider what BSF did last year to be a full time player. I disagree with that. I hope he plays a bigger role this year.

This post can be a response to everyone who disagrees with me that he was a backup tight end last year. It’s fine if you think he was a starter last year. I personally am hoping for a larger role for him this year compared to last.

It’s fine if you consider what BSF did last year to be a full time player. I disagree with that. I hope he plays a bigger role this year.

This post can be a response to everyone who disagrees with me that he was a backup tight end last year. It’s fine if you think he was a starter last year. I personally am hoping for a larger role for him this year compared to last.
Not all TE snaps are the same. There are different positions within the tight end realm. He was the and starter where he was supposed to be (Y) and kieft got more snaps because they used his TE position (U) more

BSF is a good blocker, who played a different position than Ko Kieft last season (just as Tyler Nubin & Jordan Howden are both Safeties, but play different positions), and is playing a different position than Nick Kallerup this season.

For the record here are the actual snap counts for the 2021 B1G season, and notes of interest:

Purdue
KK: 42/55 (76%)
BSF: 23/55 (42%) * highest graded receiver for the week *

Nebraska
KK: 54/69 (78%)
BSF: 21/69 (30%)

Maryland
KK: 41/73 (56%) * highest graded offensive player & highest graded run blocker for the week *
BSF: 42/73 (57%)

NW
KK: 52/72 (72%) * highest graded run blocker for the week *
BSF: 35/72 (49%)

Ill
KK: 31/71 (44%)
BSF: 48/71 (68%)

Iowa
KK: 52/85 (61%)
BSF: 50/85 (58%)

Ind
KK: 53/69 (77%)
BSF: 51/69 (74%) * highest graded receiver for the week *

Wisconsin
KK: 41/55 (75%)
BSF: 39/55 (71%) * highest graded run blocker for the week *

Ko Kieft played 366/549 total B1G snaps in 2021 = (66%)

BSF played 309/549 total B1G snaps 2021 = (56%)

Not all TE snaps are the same. There are different positions within the tight end realm. He was the and starter where he was supposed to be (Y) and kieft got more snaps because they used his TE position (U) more
Correct. And hopefully he is good enough to be used more this year

BSF is a good blocker, who played a different position than Ko Kieft last season (just as Tyler Nubin & Jordan Howden are both Safeties, but play different positions), and is playing a different position than Nick Kallerup this season.

For the record here are the actual snap counts for the 2021 B1G season, and notes of interest:

Purdue

Nebraska

Maryland
KK: 41/73 (56%) * highest graded offensive player & highest graded run blocker for the week *

NW

Ill

Iowa

Ind

Wisconsin

None of this disagrees with anything I have said

I don’t think it was always a lack of good enough last year. Depending on what personnel package they were in there may not have been a U on the field. Kieft was a better Y. So if you don’t intend to pass—and only have 1 TE in to block—you wouldn’t have BSF on the field.

It’s like saying a third receiver is on the bench when in 12personnel. They aren’t benched. Just not a spot on that personnel.

He obviously is. Stop digging in on this. Stop saying he wasn’t good enough at blocking to play more. You know damn well that makes it sound like he sucks at blocking. We all know he is plenty good enough to be a starter in the B1G as we are seeing. We all know he got less snaps last year because Kieft was awesome.

I don’t think it was always a lack of good enough last year. Depending on what personnel package they were in there may not have been a U on the field. Kieft was a better Y. So if you don’t intend to pass—and only have 1 TE in to block—you wouldn’t have BSF on the field.

It’s like saying a third receiver is on the bench when in 12personnel. They aren’t benched. Just not a spot on that personnel.

Everyone gets it but him.

Purdue

Nebraska

Maryland

NW

Ill

Iowa

Ind

Wisconsin

Well then the record seems to confirm it: Ko played slightly more so BSF was not good enough to get on the field.

He obviously is. Stop digging in on this. Stop saying he wasn’t good enough at blocking to play more. You know damn well that makes it sound like he sucks at blocking. We all know he is plenty good enough to be a starter in the B1G as we are seeing. We all know he got less snaps last year because Kieft was awesome.
Digging in on what?
One of our better receivers was packaged off the field last year for a large portion of snaps. I have made no comments on him this year.

He wasn’t good enough to play the H back all the time last year so we took one of our best receivers off the field and put in a different guy. Film doesn’t lie.

I don’t get why people are taking this as an insult to him

Yeah so he was packaged into being a part time player yet everyone here is offended I called him a part time player.

So you agree with me but you’re mad at me? I don’t get it

On the bench during B1G play < 66% snaps
Not on the bench in B1G play >= 66% snaps

thank you for clarifying
Do you disagree that he was a packaged player more than an every down player? Because that is what I have stated

Purdue

Nebraska

Maryland

NW

Ill

Iowa

Ind

Wisconsin

This is good interesting data.
Not sure where you pulled from…but if you have it at your fingertips I would be interested in seeing what % of the time did we have a 6th ineligible number on the field with BSF on the bench.

Digging in on what?
One of our better receivers was packaged off the field last year for a large portion of snaps. I have made no comments on him this year.

He wasn’t good enough to play the H back all the time last year so we took one of our best receivers off the field and put in a different guy. Film doesn’t lie.

I don’t get why people are taking this as an insult to him
You keep playing games when people say he couldn’t beat out the best blocking tight end in the country. Just say you don’t think he is a good blocker if that’s what you think.

You keep playing games when people say he couldn’t beat out the best blocking tight end in the country. Just say you don’t think he is a good blocker if that’s what you think.
I have already said he wasn’t that good of a blocker early in his career.

I think Kieft stole fewer reps from him than the 6th OL did.

I thought both Vereen and the play by play guy were awful, to the point of being unlistenable. Vereen's sucking up to everything Gopher was nauseating.
Disagree. I thought Brock did great for being a newer analyst. He came off as very well prepared. He also realizes that virtually everyone watching the blowout is a Gopher fan and that a little happy homer-ness is OK.

However, I would like to hear him do a couple non-Gopher games and see what he brings when he doesn't know one of the teams so well.

From the outside looking in, it seems a little weird that there are fans knocking a player that will probably be drafted. You're good at TE.

That's what I got. "Spanferd", as rhyming with transferred. Just odd...

Other than that annoying strangeness, I really liked the announcers for our game, and thought that Brock Vereen did AWESOME on his first collegiate broadcast. He was very impressive and came across as being just enormously likable.
Brock is terrific in the studio. Articulate, makes great eye contact with the camera. However, I think someone watching the WIU game without a Minnesota connection might have been put off by his homerism.

Top Bottom