Sources: NCAA investigating Tennessee for NIL violations

This proves that Tennessee isn’t a helmet school.

I'm sure we are just scratching the surface with the lawsuits and violations that will come from this whole wide open pay for play mess.

I can recall a time not too long ago where college football was mostly about what happened on the field. Now it is all about player movement and money changing hands.

I still love it and will watch the Gophers when they play but it is harder and harder to get overly invested in it while you watch the sport tear itself apart from within.

NCAA trying to enforce something they have no control over... Put in regulations and you won't have wild wild.west activities going on...

Screw the ncaa

Ton of Tweets on this, including a spicy letter by UTenn chancellor (I believe?) to the NCAA telling them that they are a failed organization and laying out how completely F’ed and free-for-all the whole system has become “post-Alston”, as he put it.

Ross Dellenger absolutely nailed it, regarding the bigger picture here:

^^
How it will eventually go: Athletes are paid directly by schools or conferences for both their NIL as well as their services to play the game of football or basketball, operating from a regulated framework that binds them with contracts and permits them, when that contract is complete, to move about, perhaps, for better — you won’t believe this — salaries.

Indeed, collectives need to be banned. Schools need to run everything. All player payments, both for NIL and for their direct service, need to run through the schools and be completely controlled by the schools.

That’s not to say that, for example, Derek Burns couldn’t be hired by the U to help administer some of this stuff. Sure, that’d be fine with me.

^^
How it will eventually go: Athletes are paid directly by schools or conferences for both their NIL as well as their services to play the game of football or basketball, operating from a regulated framework that binds them with contracts and permits them, when that contract is complete, to move about, perhaps, for better — you won’t believe this — salaries.

Indeed, collectives need to be banned. Schools need to run everything. All player payments, both for NIL and for their direct service, need to run through the schools and be completely controlled by the schools.

That’s not to say that, for example, Derek Burns couldn’t be hired by the U to help administer some of this stuff. Sure, that’d be fine with me.
It will go to salaries plus NIL.

NCAA trying to enforce something they have no control over... Put in regulations and you won't have wild wild.west activities going on...

Screw the ncaa
Erick Dickerson, Barry Switzer, Reggie Bush, and countless others would beg to differ.

What the NCAA needs to do is stop trying to differentiate between NIL, pay for play, collectives, etc. and just let the free market be free. If some crazy billionaire wants to pay a kid $5M to play QB for his favorite school, who is the NCAA or anyone else to try to stop them?

What the NCAA needs to do is stop trying to differentiate between NIL, pay for play, collectives, etc. and just let the free market be free. If some crazy billionaire wants to pay a kid $5M to play QB for his favorite school, who is the NCAA or anyone else to try to stop them?
False.

It needs to go the other way: players union, collective bargain, hard salary cap. And ban fan/booster-run organizations that pay players.

One off, fine, but not organized.

Top Bottom