Souhan: The new athletic director should reassess Tubby Smith's tenure as well.

I don't follow. Are you suggesting Iowa had not had more recent success? Are you suggesting that Tubby walked into a better situation than Lickliter??

Iowa previous four years before Lickliter:
36-28 (two NCAAs, one NIT, one 2nd place Big Ten finish, two 4th place Big Ten finishes)

Minnesota previous four years before Tubby:
21-43 (one NCAA, one NIT, one 4th-place Big Ten finish, three 10th place Big Ten finishes)

Call me crazy, but they helped get the team into the NCAA twice.

Look, the difference between you and me, is you're loyal to a person - Monson. I'm loyal to the GOPHERS. If I had my preference, then Monson would have been wildly successful, we'd be going to tourneys every year and Tubby would be coaching somewhere else. Why? Not because I like Dan or not; or like Tubby or not. But, because that would be good for the GOPHERS. When I point out how poorly Dan's teams had done, it isn't to say he's a bad coach (I don't believe that.) It is to point out that this is a hard place to win and that Tubby walked into a quagmire.

You, on the other hand, revel in Tubby's recent strugles to vindicate some stupid belief you have that Monson was somehow wronged here. Monson had his chance. It didn't work out. Doesn't make him a bad guy. Just means he couldn't get the job done here.

If Tubby doesn't get it done, then we move on again. Doesn't mean he's a bad guy. Also, means the next guy has a similar uphill fight. Hopefully, the GOPHERS will contend for Big Ten titles with the next guy, if it comes to it.

I take no delight in the GOPHERS losing. You sure seem to get a kick out of it, though.

YEs tj, that is me - I love to see the gophers lose. You and your ilk bring this up every time the question of tubby and standards are discussed. That, tj, is very, very telling and is illustrative of the program you seem to want - one of continued mediocrity. AS long as tubby is rambling along, things are great!!!!

Hogwash.

Lay out for us you expectations of the team's results. Remember, tubby is now in year 2+3. Half a decade tj.

1) what's wrong with comparing to Iowa teams? Both made a coaching change and Minnesota's worked out better than Iowa's. Had Lickliter been a huge success you'd be bringing up Iowa teams constantly.

2) big wins get you national pub. Recruits like national publicity. When recruits like you they are more likely to sign with you. You don't think the Cameron Crazies chanting "Minnesota" was cool at all? You don't see how beating Louisville, UNC, Indiana, Purdue, OSU, Wisconsin, Butler were good for the program??? Then again, you'd prefer we lost.

We get it, you love Dan Monson, you're bitter he's gone. Go be a Long beach fan then. It's been five years, I know it's hard, but at some point you have to move on, it's okay. I've heard a lot of girls cry and eat ice cream? We are all here for you.

Now you resort to the cameron crazies and their antics in support of tubby? good one Donna!

Does anyone, outside of MN fans, really remember any of those "big wins"? Not likely Donna.

How many NCAA wins does tubby have donna? How many? What was your hubby brought here to do?

It's been 5 years donna, its ok to admit expectations have not been met. Sometimes you have to just admit you have a problem first donna....

YEs tj, that is me - I love to see the gophers lose.

Gee ZTA why would anyone think that? You only seem to post in BB forum when the Gophers lose or Monson's manhood is threatened.

Gee ZTA why would anyone think that? You only seem to post in BB forum when the Gophers lose or Monson's manhood is threatened.

Stating facts blizzak. You dont like facts, that is why you are here now. BTW - didnt post after the loss to Wisky, just to clarify. But dont let facts get in the way of your agenda.

How many ncaa wins does tubby have at MN? Use no hands blizz....

BTW - didnt post after the loss to Wisky, just to clarify. But dont let facts get in the way of your agenda.

I didn't post either, can't stand to view this place after a loss.

An agenda :)

Yes, I have an agenda. Lol, I love that.

BarnBurner said:
Stating facts blizzak. You dont like facts, that is why you are here now. BTW - didnt post after the loss to Wisky, just to clarify. But dont let facts get in the way of your agenda.

How many ncaa wins does tubby have at MN? Use no hands blizz....

Wasn't the most recent game played the loss to Wisconsin? So today would be after the loss to Wisconsin? Do you follow a different calendar than the rest of us.

Here's a question for ya, how many NCAA wins does Monson have? All while employing the talents of two 5-star recruits during his tenure. He must be a pretty terrible coach to not win with that talent. And He couldn't even land Jon Leuer, Cole Aldrich or Khalid El-Amin. What an awful recruiter. See how easy that was?

Signed,

Donna Smith

AS long as tubby is rambling along, things are great!!!!

Yet you were happy as a pig with Monson wallowing along, right? I mean you didn't think he should be fired, did you? So, if Monson should not have been fired for finishing 21-43 in his last four years, why do you feel Tubby should be let go?

See, it is easy to play your game. Not sure why I did. It was a better board when I had you on ignore, which I will again soon.

Lay out for us you expectations of the team's results. Remember, tubby is now in year 2+3. Half a decade tj.

I've laid them out two or three times. I'd allow him to see if he can keep this current group of young players together, give him a "university-friendly" extension with a low buyout, tell him the transfers need to stop, and expect to see an NCAA tourney this year and/or next year. Short of that, I think it would be time to move on.

Yet you were happy as a pig with Monson wallowing along, right? I mean you didn't think he should be fired, did you? So, if Monson should not have been fired for finishing 21-43 in his last four years, why do you feel Tubby should be let go?

See, it is easy to play your game. Not sure why I did. It was a better board when I had you on ignore, which I will again soon.

I've laid them out two or three times. I'd allow him to see if he can keep this current group of young players together, give him a "university-friendly" extension with a low buyout, tell him the transfers need to stop, and expect to see an NCAA tourney this year and/or next year. Short of that, I think it would be time to move on.

One more time for those than cant read:

I thought Monson needed to go. I think the same standards should be applied to tubby. Is that hard to understand?

Now tj, can we keep the discussion to the results tubby has achieved to date? Or would you rather revisit Monson - again?

Wasn't the most recent game played the loss to Wisconsin? So today would be after the loss to Wisconsin? Do you follow a different calendar than the rest of us.

Here's a question for ya, how many NCAA wins does Monson have? All while employing the talents of two 5-star recruits during his tenure. He must be a pretty terrible coach to not win with that talent. And He couldn't even land Jon Leuer, Cole Aldrich or Khalid El-Amin. What an awful recruiter. See how easy that was?

Signed,

Donna Smith

Hey Donna - could you comment on your husbands results to date?

One more time for those than cant read:

I thought Monson needed to go. I think the same standards should be applied to tubby. Is that hard to understand?
Fair enough. I had never seen you write that, but then again, until my curiousity got the best of me this morning, you've been on ignore for months.

I think Tubby is trending toward the warm seat, just not ready to pull the plug yet. I surely don't think we've reached the low levels of Dan just yet, either. And, by any reasonable standard (i.e. winning %, NCAA appearances, Big Ten record, attendance, interest level in program) Tubby has exceeded what Dan has. And, I understand Dan started in a hole, yes. But, Tubby didn't exactly step into a rose garden.

I mean you want Tubby held to the same standard? So, that means you're okay with giving him eight years and the final four years go 21-43 with three tenth-place finishes? I mean where have the standards ended? Dan got his time to try to do it. It wasn't until year 5 or 6 things got a little dicey. He saved himself with the NCAA appearance and then couldn't move forward. To hold Tubby to the same standard would mean at least two more years of Tubby, whether good, mediocre or terrible. Don't let the ugly last 8-10 months of the Monson tenure (and yes he was savaged) cloud you to think the entire eight years was that way. I thought he got support and leeway for most of his tenure. Tubby has mostly gotten the same. And, like with Monson, it is starting to get a little dicey here in year 5-6.

Not that anyone takes you serious anyways, but making childish comments like this all the time certainly doesn't help your arguments. This is something junior high kids do.

Until the facilities are improved, Minnesota isn't even an top 50 coaching job.

I struggle to see us in the top 100 without dramatic investment in facilities...and here is why.

The top 50 jobs all pay close to or more than we pay and have better facilities to recruit, develop, etc. So they are better equipped to support big time recruiting and player development. The next 50 may pay less and not have better facilities but a top coach that wins at these schools that are typically in lessor conferences have shots at getting a great job at a top 50 school.

Winning an MN has not shown a path to a top 50 job because from the outside MN is in the B1G and you are supposed to win here...MN is a lose-lose situation. Crappy facilities and no upside to a better job with success. Historically we have no former coach that went on to a better job in the NCAA...unlike schools like Chaminade or being an Asst at Indiana or Duke.

MN is a bad place to go right now and until we get serious about competing and winning we will remain a crappy job...IMO

I said the talent was better. You haven't disputed that. Tubby's two best years (not 4 years of development) were with Monson's players for the most part in his first 2 years. The talent was better then than it is now.

That's why people have been saying player retention has been his biggest weakness. There's no disputing the fact that players leaving has hurt us a lot. Tubby has recruited more talent, just hasn't been able to keep them all.

If you'd actually read all the posts and not just the stuff you want to read, you'd see that's been posted many times before, including the post right above your's.

BarnBurner said:

Well, they could be better, that's for sure. He is working hard for them and the kids are working hard too. Unfortunately, he had some transfers and injuries, but as I always tell him, excuses are for losers. He needs to keep working hard to be successful. I know he is a good coach and if he sticks with it things will improve. I think he is doing a terrific job selling this great city, without a practice facility, and school to recruits who otherwise would have had no interest in MN at all. I was telling him over coffee yesterday, that his current group is going to be phenomenal in a year or two if they stick around, so I hope he is making sure that they do. While I admire his ability to stick to his values and beliefs as a coach (it's part of the reason I married him) I hope he works hard to keep some of these great kids he has, they are some of the hardest working I've seen him coach before.

I think he has done a great job representing the school well and getting to the tourney twice in a row and being ranked 15th as well as some pretty big wins have all been pretty impressive.

I sometimes get annoyed with his substitutions, but that's my sweet Tubby. A few times he has even made pancakes and toast and sausage for breakfast and orange juice and didn't like one thing so he replaced it all with a hot pocket and water. I've learned to be frustrated, but live with it.

I sure hope the school lets him develop the kids he has, because they really are great. The last coach got 8 years with worse results, I hope my sweetie is allowed to see his recruits develop. I know it really bummed him when Royce left and Trevor got hurt, but he is out there still trying to achieve what MN fans want to see. I think he has a good chance with his current team if people will just be patient here and give him another year or two to not have any transfers, and develop a full group of players. If the transfers continue and results don't improve then, I may encourage him to spend more time with me and the grand kids and call it a great career. Hope my opinion helps and thanks for your continued fandom and support of my husband.

Sincerely,

Donna Smith

PS. Saul says hi too!

Well, they could be better, that's for sure. He is working hard for them and the kids are working hard too. Unfortunately, he had some transfers and injuries, but as I always tell him, excuses are for losers. He needs to keep working hard to be successful. I know he is a good coach and if he sticks with it things will improve. I think he is doing a terrific job selling this great city, without a practice facility, and school to recruits who otherwise would have had no interest in MN at all. I was telling him over coffee yesterday, that his current group is going to be phenomenal in a year or two if they stick around, so I hope he is making sure that they do. While I admire his ability to stick to his values and beliefs as a coach (it's part of the reason I married him) I hope he works hard to keep some of these great kids he has, they are some of the hardest working I've seen him coach before.

I think he has done a great job representing the school well and getting to the tourney twice in a row and being ranked 15th as well as some pretty big wins have all been pretty impressive.

I sometimes get annoyed with his substitutions, but that's my sweet Tubby. A few times he has even made pancakes and toast and sausage for breakfast and orange juice and didn't like one thing so he replaced it all with a hot pocket and water. I've learned to be frustrated, but live with it.

I sure hope the school lets him develop the kids he has, because they really are great. The last coach got 8 years with worse results, I hope my sweetie is allowed to see his recruits develop. I know it really bummed him when Royce left and Trevor got hurt, but he is out there still trying to achieve what MN fans want to see. I think he has a good chance with his current team if people will just be patient here and give him another year or two to not have any transfers, and develop a full group of players. Hope my opinion helps and thanks for your continued fandom and support of my husband.

Sincerely,

Donna Smith

PS. Saul says hi too!
Wow!

Fair enough. I had never seen you write that, but then again, until my curiousity got the best of me this morning, you've been on ignore for months.

I think Tubby is trending toward the warm seat, just not ready to pull the plug yet. I surely don't think we've reached the low levels of Dan just yet, either. And, by any reasonable standard (i.e. winning %, NCAA appearances, Big Ten record, attendance, interest level in program) Tubby has exceeded what Dan has. And, I understand Dan started in a hole, yes. But, Tubby didn't exactly step into a rose garden.

I mean you want Tubby held to the same standard? So, that means you're okay with giving him eight years and the final four years go 21-43 with three tenth-place finishes? I mean where have the standards ended? Dan got his time to try to do it. It wasn't until year 5 or 6 things got a little dicey. He saved himself with the NCAA appearance and then couldn't move forward. To hold Tubby to the same standard would mean at least two more years of Tubby, whether good, mediocre or terrible. Don't let the ugly last 8-10 months of the Monson tenure (and yes he was savaged) cloud you to think the entire eight years was that way. I thought he got support and leeway for most of his tenure. Tubby has mostly gotten the same. And, like with Monson, it is starting to get a little dicey here in year 5-6.

NO tj - tubby was brought in and paid to fix all things mens bb. He has the resume, and the salary. And I have said it numerous times - you choose not to read it.

WHat has been missing are the results. Surely tubby should have been winning by now. Monson was small time, tubby was big time when each was hired. Monson was hot at the time - not a big time coach - huge difference.

Anything less than excellent results, at this point, are unmet expectations. I beleive that tubby has been given, mostly, a free pass. Apply the same standards and expectations to tubby - a big time coach - and the results achieved are poor, at best.

I sure hope the school lets him develop the kids he has, because they really are great. The last coach got 8 years with worse results, I hope my sweetie is allowed to see his recruits develop. I know it really bummed him when Royce left and Trevor got hurt, but he is out there still trying to achieve what MN fans want to see. I think he has a good chance with his current team if people will just be patient here and give him another year or two to not have any transfers, and develop a full group of players. If the transfers continue and results don't improve then, I may encourage him to spend more time with me and the grand kids and call it a great career. Hope my opinion helps and thanks for your continued fandom and support of my husband.

Sincerely,

Donna Smith

PS. Saul says hi too!

Hey Donna,

Once you get that practice facility(built in excuse # 1 - excuses are for losers) you continually preach about, we can expect conf titles and ncaa wins by the bunches - correct?

BarnBurner said:
Hey Donna,

Once you get that practice facility(built in excuse # 1 - excuses are for losers) you continually preach about, we can expect conf titles and ncaa wins by the bunches - correct?

Maybe not "by the bunches" but there should be an improvement, regardless of the coach, yes.

Maybe not "by the bunches" but there should be an improvement, regardless of the coach, yes.

So a practice facility will generate more wins, regardless of coach?

Now there is one for the ages.....

NO tj - tubby was brought in and paid to fix all things mens bb. He has the resume, and the salary. And I have said it numerous times - you choose not to read it.

WHat has been missing are the results. Surely tubby should have been winning by now. Monson was small time, tubby was big time when each was hired. Monson was hot at the time - not a big time coach - huge difference.

Anything less than excellent results, at this point, are unmet expectations. I beleive that tubby has been given, mostly, a free pass. Apply the same standards and expectations to tubby - a big time coach - and the results achieved are poor, at best.

Well, you've just made an interesting argument using different standards for both coaches only a handful of posts after begging people to use the same standards for both coaches.

Your logic, as always, is flawless.

I beleive that tubby has been given, mostly, a free pass.

By whom? Fans and the media have been critical of him the past two years or so. Maybe, because most aren't as critical as you, you think that but it's not true at all.

BarnBurner said:

Let me see if you can grasp this, one final time. It's been explained over and over and over and over and over again.

Practice facility = impressive = great recruits like impressive = great recruits sign = wins!!!!

Make sense yet???

There is somewhat of a benefit to being able to practice any time of the day not worrying about other schedules of other teams and events, etc. which does improve player development, which means , you guessed it, more wins!!!!

For some recruits, facilities matter a bunch, others not so much. We might be battling over a recruit and its down to us and another school similar to ours in terms of success, prestige, etc. This recruit likes both coaches, and likes both schools but one has a new practice facility, one doesn't. For this guy, that may be 25% of his decision and put him over the edge to that other school. For another guy, it may not be a big factor at all.

A new practice facility doesn't guarantee anything. At this point, it doesn't even give us an advantage over other schools because just about every other one does (major D-I school anyway). But we're falling behind, that's for sure.

Isn't it weird that the only other team in the B1G that has less NCAA postseason appearances in their history than the Gophers is Northwestern. Isn't it funny that the only other team in the B1G that doesn't have a practice facility in the B1G is Northwestern. I'm not saying that a practice facility would solve our problems, but there is some correlation..

I'm going to go back a little bit as the question was posed to me as to what should be done to hold Tubby more accountable for the results on the court. First and foremost, he doesn't deserve an extension. I know the recruitniks will point to this as killing recruiting, but with the way the university built up this hire, you would have thought god himself was coming to lift us all up to basketball nirvana. He's getting paid of millions of dollars and the team continually stubs it's toe and has not risen anywhere above mediocrity. So far he's 2-for-4 with NCAA appearances (with one of those needing a miracle run in the Big Ten Tournament just to qualify) and with one of those years where we missed the postseason altogether. Sorry, those are pretty sorry results for what he's getting paid. As others have stated, he has good players on his hands and yet the team sits squarely in the bottom half of the league. Not near good enough. And until this group starts producing something other than a random big win every once in awhile, no extension is warranted.

Also, don't want to hear anymore talk about a practice facility. Obviously, we all know we need one. But the coach trots this topic out endlessly like it's going to automatically vault the team into contention. It won't, not when we still can't execute offensive sets on a consistent basis. Just coach the team and make it better. As others have said, there is talent on this team. But the whole "practice facility" conversation is getting old. We get it, we need one. That isn't what is stopping the team from looking dysfunctional on the court for long stretches of time. Add to the mix the number of players that have come in and then bailed for various reasons and it isn't a pretty picture.

To sum up, there are concerns with how this program is performing imo. I'm hoping that everything improves, but the first four-plus years are providing plenty of reasons for second-guessing.

Let me see if you can grasp this, one final time. It's been explained over and over and over and over and over again.

Practice facility = impressive = great recruits like impressive = great recruits sign = wins!!!!

Make sense yet???

There is somewhat of a benefit to being able to practice any time of the day not worrying about other schedules of other teams and events, etc. which does improve player development, which means , you guessed it, more wins!!!!

I realize that this is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison, but TCF Bank Stadium comes to mind. How many more wins and better recruits have we gotten because of that shiny new stadium?

Make sense yet???

there it is. just build a shiny new practice facility and that solves all the problems.

there it is. just build a shiny new practice facility and that solves all the problems.

I realize that this is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison, but TCF Bank Stadium comes to mind. How many more wins and better recruits have we gotten because of that shiny new stadium?

It does take more than just new facilities to win. You also need good coaching, which I think basketball has. However, Brewster's first class at the U was very very good and was highly rated. Bad part was, he had no clue how to coach. Had, for example, Jerry Kill been head coach without the Brewster debacle we could have gotten those great recruits and had a winning coach and seen a great increase in wins. (I over simplified my argument so as to not make it to complex for BB, he has troubles sometimes)

Isn't it weird that the only other team in the B1G that has less NCAA postseason appearances in their history than the Gophers is Northwestern. Isn't it funny that the only other team in the B1G that doesn't have a practice facility in the B1G is Northwestern. I'm not saying that a practice facility would solve our problems, but there is some correlation..

While I agree the Practice Facility is needed, this is probably more reverse causation. Practice facilities weren't big until about 5 years ago. They weren't even fully implemented into the NBA until fairly recently. I'd say two things could be going on. Either, NW sucks so they have no practice facility (no money, desire to) or that the fact they are the last to have a practice facility also shows they have lacked timely improvements in other areas as well. I don't think you can say "NW has no practice facility, that's why they've sucked forever"

I'm going to go back a little bit as the question was posed to me as to what should be done to hold Tubby more accountable for the results on the court. First and foremost, he doesn't deserve an extension. I know the recruitniks will point to this as killing recruiting, but with the way the university built up this hire, you would have thought god himself was coming to lift us all up to basketball nirvana. He's getting paid of millions of dollars and the team continually stubs it's toe and has not risen anywhere above mediocrity. So far he's 2-for-4 with NCAA appearances (with one of those needing a miracle run in the Big Ten Tournament just to qualify) and with one of those years where we missed the postseason altogether. Sorry, those are pretty sorry results for what he's getting paid. As others have stated, he has good players on his hands and yet the team sits squarely in the bottom half of the league. Not near good enough. And until this group starts producing something other than a random big win every once in awhile, no extension is warranted.

Also, don't want to hear anymore talk about a practice facility. Obviously, we all know we need one. But the coach trots this topic out endlessly like it's going to automatically vault the team into contention. It won't, not when we still can't execute offensive sets on a consistent basis. Just coach the team and make it better. As others have said, there is talent on this team. But the whole "practice facility" conversation is getting old. We get it, we need one. That isn't what is stopping the team from looking dysfunctional on the court for long stretches of time. Add to the mix the number of players that have come in and then bailed for various reasons and it isn't a pretty picture.

To sum up, there are concerns with how this program is performing imo. I'm hoping that everything improves, but the first four-plus years are providing plenty of reasons for second-guessing.

Thank you for this post. While I don't fully agree with it, it shows you can be critical of Tubby without acting like a moronic troll. So thank you for a thought out, original, conversation provoking post.

I disagree on the extension, I think you extend with a lower base salary, more friendly buy out, include provisions on the U's end for practicie facility progress, and make it very incentive based. That way you do hold him (and the school) more accountable for basketball success without hurting recruiting. The tough sell, would be convincing the public this is a good idea without big result improvements.

The practice facility I think you are right, everyone knows we need it. I think it keeps coming up for a few reasons, 1) I believe (speculating) Joel promised Tubby more progress than has been had as of right now 2) The coaches and media are touring various facilities throughout the B1G to get ideas and 3) the media asks Tubby about it and agrees we need it.

I don't think Tubby has gone so far as to use it as an excuse, he has said we need it to stay competitive, but he said at his radio show last week that while other schools will use it as "negative recruiting" against Minnesota, this is also a great area and a great school, that he loves, so it is easy to sell that as well and that he needs to focus on the great advantages that we do have here.

While I agree the Practice Facility is needed, this is probably more reverse causation. Practice facilities weren't big until about 5 years ago. They weren't even fully implemented into the NBA until fairly recently. I'd say two things could be going on. Either, NW sucks so they have no practice facility (no money, desire to) or that the fact they are the last to have a practice facility also shows they have lacked timely improvements in other areas as well. I don't think you can say "NW has no practice facility, that's why they've sucked forever"

That's not completely true. Here is a list of the arguably the top four BIG programs and when their practice facilities were built: Wisconsin (1998), Illinois (1998), Michigan State (2002), and Ohio State is planning to add on to the practice facilities they already have at the Jerome Schottenstein Center.

Here is a list of upcoming facilities that have opened in the last year or are set to open in the upcoming year:

Indiana
Opened: 2010 Size: 67,000 square feet
Cost: $16.5 million
Iowa
Opened: August Size: 131,000 square feet
Cost: $47 million (includes arena renovation)
Michigan
Opening: October Size: 57,000 square feet
Cost: $23 million (includes arena renovation)
Nebraska
Opening: October Size: 75,000 square feet
Cost: $18.7 million
Purdue
Opening: November Size: Not available
Cost: $99.5 million (includes arena renovation)

The practice facility conversation is not an excuse for how the team is performing; the concern is we are falling behind in the recruiting arms race. There is no reason that a school the size of the U of M doesn't have a facility. Not only does it help the team, but it also provides a platform for recreational (intramural) sports--Which at least justifies the cost a little. If practice facilities aren't a big deal (I understand you get the importance of one), then why have four B1G programs opened, or are opening, new facilities in the last year?

I say the talent was better when he got here than it is now.

In a sea of terrible posts by you, this one really takes the cake. I mean, just wow. Your seething hatred of Tubby Smith is preventing you from thinking clearly.

First of all, Mbakwe, when healthy, is far and away the best collegiate player the Gophers have had in at least 15 years. It really isn't even close. But he got hurt, which of course is Tubby's fault.

His best interior player is sitting at well over a full calendar year of game inaction. The fact that he got hurt is, of course, Tubby's fault.

Which 9-man rotation would you rather have:

Johnson, McKenzie, Westbrook, Tollackson, Nolen, Hoffarber, D. Coleman, J. Williams, and Abu-Shamala

or

Mbakwe, Sampson, Williams, Hollins, Hollins, Walker, Welch, J. Coleman and Eliason?

If you say the former, you are at best being disingenuous and intellectually dishonest, and at worst flat-out lying through your teeth. Of course, the latter is not the rotation we have available, given the season-ending injuries to both Mbakwe and Walker, which are, again, clearly 100% Tubby's fault.

And this is not including the next 3 players on the bench. In 2011-12, it is Armelin, Osenieks, and Ahanmisi, each effective in their own way under limited dosage. In 2007-08, they didn't even have 3 more. It was Busch and Payton, who, while I'm sure they were nice guys, were generally completely useless as Big Ten basketball players.

And, further, none of this is taking into account the trio of solid-to-great players who would be starting and/or playing heavy minutes this season for Minnesota had they not transferred elsewhere. But again, there is no room for nuance in that discussion. Each transfer is 100% Tubby's fault, and he deserves to be pilloried, then hung, drawn and quartered, with each of his limbs sent to the far corners of the Earth to pay for his transgressions.

Top Bottom