Souhan: Fleck's overuse of Ibrahim in the past month doesn't represent one red flag — it represents a bouquet of them.

What we have here is a thread that we have people conplaining about using our best players too much

Where in other threads we have people complaining we lose to much.

Win! But don’t give your best players too many plays!

Recruiting quality skill players to Minnesota has always been a challenge. I would actually contend that Fleck has done better than most of his predecessors considering he recruited perhaps the greatest RB ever to play at the U in Ibrahim, one of the top receivers in program history in Bateman and one of the top QBs in program history in Morgan. Not to mention the fact that Fleck and his staff played a massive role in developing TJ into a great receiver.
False. Holtz, Wacker and Mason all recruited really good skill players. Wacker and Mason overlooked that you had to play defense, too.

Here's a Hot Take on Mo's workload...I would like to see him get a couple more passing targets a game. He and Williams are capable receivers. Feels like a way to mix it up and they can be effective in open space.

Just a thought.

Singer wasn't on our doorstep and NOBODY saw Lance being the player he turned out to be....NOBODY.....he had to go to NDSU to get a chance to play QB.

It is super lazy to fault coaches for missing out on guys who were not can't miss prospects that developed into great players. But I am not surprised it is a tactic you are using.
Lantz was a huge miss. Our recruiting classes haven’t been good enough to not take a chance on a kid like that.

Lantz was a huge miss. Our recruiting classes haven’t been good enough to not take a chance on a kid like that.
This topic has been beat to death. Trey wanted to be a QB and he was not a good QB prospect at all. To his credit he found a school willing to give him a chance to play QB but he had to drop all the way to the FCS level to find that school.

Literally no one else offered from the FBS, so pretty tough to blast Fleck for that miss.

Mo fumbled because he tried to make a play and got sloppy with ball security.
The TV video of the play does not support the idea that he reached forward.

Play starts at 13:30

Same fuggin guy who ran back the pick on the next drive, #31, hits him before he can even do anything. There was no reach out, even though the TV guy falsely says it.

Same fuggin guy who ran back the pick on the next drive, #31, hits him before he can even do anything. There was no reach out, even though the TV guy falsely says it.
Maybe didn’t reach forward, but I also don’t buy that he couldn’t hold onto the ball because he was too tired, that sounds ridiculous to me. Too much arm fatigue? Come on.

Maybe didn’t reach forward, but I also don’t buy that he couldn’t hold onto the ball because he was too tired, that sounds ridiculous to me. Too much arm fatigue? Come on.
Agree 100% with you there.

It was just a freak thing.

4 fumbles in 8xx carries

I disagree with your analysis of the video

Well, if you can point to which frames show his arm reaching out past his body with the football, I'll take a look.

My eyes tell me they aren't there.
He starts to put the ball in front of him and gets hit by a guy he doesn’t see. If the ball is in his chest he doesn’t fumble (but it’s 4th and 1-2)

He doesn’t reach and dangle, he does take the ball off his chest. So I agree he didn’t reach out the ball and let it hang for a bit. But he did have two hands come off his chest with the ball.

He starts to put the ball in front of him and gets hit by a guy he doesn’t see. If the ball is in his chest he doesn’t fumble (but it’s 4th and 1-2)

He doesn’t reach and dangle, he does take the ball off his chest
I can buy this.

The scary thing is offensively, the only player that is trustworthy is Ibrahim and he will be gone. Potts and Williams are unproven and can usually get you 2-3 yards..QB is not proven and WR's are pretty iffy too. Hoping maybe one of the two new RB's could step up and Autman-Bell returns..This is not a Big Ten offense without Ibrahim next year ---- it's Iowa Part 2.

Potts was leading the B10 in rushing after Mo’s OSU injury last year before he went down against Purdue.

🤷‍♂️

Very serviceable

Last edited:

Everyone who talks about Mason’s success are forgetting one really important item, he had absolutely the best offensive line coach in Gopher history in Gordie Shaw. I would venture a guess, if the 2022 Gopher football team had GShaw as their line coach, they are sitting at 10 - 1 right today. He would take our decoys and make them an effective unit.

False. Holtz, Wacker and Mason all recruited really good skill players. Wacker and Mason overlooked that you had to play defense, too.
You could even include Gutey, too. He recruited some good WR's as well as Darrell Thompson, too.

Potts has never been the same since his injury - he did not have a good year this year and ff he is our #1 next year you better get used to a lot of 2-3 yard gains.

Your original statement was he is unproven and what you’re saying now is completely different, Mister best 2 out of 3.

Evans will be a good back next year and the recruit from Michigan as well.

Last edited:

People will go back and forth about how good Morgan was or was not but the fact remains he is the all-time winningest QB at MN and one of the better QBs to ever play here.
He was GREAT in 2019. Outside of that she had been average. But he had the best season ever by a gopher QB

Literally no one else offered from the FBS, so pretty tough to blast Fleck for that miss.
3 from Iowa this year was the same but his home school offered him. No other FBS offers. It’s not that Lantz wasn’t a good prospect if I recall Armstrong had committed here so PJ wouldn’t take him as a QB.

Potts has never been the same since his injury - he did not have a good year this year and ff he is our #1 next year you better get used to a lot of 2-3 yard gains.

Potts has 445 yards so far this season and is averaging 4.9 yards per carry, which is exactly what he averaged last season.

3 from Iowa this year was the same but his home school offered him. No other FBS offers. It’s not that Lantz wasn’t a good prospect if I recall Armstrong had committed here so PJ wouldn’t take him as a QB.
3? Cooper DeJean? He committed to Iowa early on, that’s the only reason he didn’t have other offers. I don’t know why you want to give Iowa props for offering DeJean when they could have just as easily offered Lance as well. It’s not like Fleck has never found a diamond either, for example Mafe.

Last edited:

Potts has 445 yards so far this season and is averaging 4.9 yards per carry, which is exactly what he averaged last season.
I was immediately suspicious when you gave the simplest possible stat, aggregating the entire season to date.

So here is just a bit more nuance: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/treyson-potts-1/gamelog/2022/

RkDateSchoolOpponentAttYdsAvgTDRecYdsAvgTD
12022-09-01MinnesotaNew Mexico StateW17895.2111414.00
22022-09-10MinnesotaWestern IllinoisW10797.92000
32022-09-17MinnesotaColoradoW13513.90000
42022-09-24Minnesota@Michigan StateW13725.50111.00
52022-10-01MinnesotaPurdueL9101.10188.00
62022-10-22Minnesota@Penn StateL571.40000
72022-10-29MinnesotaRutgersW6579.50000
82022-11-05Minnesota@NebraskaW210.50000
92022-11-12MinnesotaNorthwesternW10636.30000
102022-11-19MinnesotaIowaL5132.60000
10 Games904424.93

Don’t confuse people with what actually has occurred in the universe
And don't include the context that the vast majority of those yards were gained against backup players for terrible defenses like NMSU, Western Illinois, Rutgers and NW.
Also a back issue kept him out of the Illinois game. Might have also impacted his effectiveness before/after (ie Purdue).

Your original statement was he is unproven and what you’re saying now is completely different, Mister best 2 out of 3.

Evans will be a good back next year and the recruit from Michigan as well.

Don't forget about the RB from PA. His list of offers includes 18 Power 5 programs plus Notre Dame with 6 of those from Big Ten programs (Minnesota, Iowa, Penn State, Michigan State, Rutgers, and Maryland).

Red Flags in a bouquet is a mixed metaphor.

Top Bottom