Souhan Compares Childress and Brewster Hires in Strib Today..

I hate the term 'Brewster apologist'. But Doogie has been supportive at times, earlier in the year, and now just appears to be rolling with the wave of public sentiment. While everyone else is selling Brewster stock, I am still in 'accumulate' mode. We'll see who's portfolio is bigger at the end.

You guys are a little over-the-top in taking slight at any and every negative thing written about Brewster. The man hasn't done anything in 3 years and yet he can't stop spewing endless positivity about every facet of his program, even when it makes him look foolish. Sorry, but that's going to lead to some negative columns from objective observers.

You can all go ahead believing that every single person in the 'evil' media has some sort of vandetta against Gopher football, but with a couple of obvious exceptions, it's not true.

Follow the money.

I agree with you to some extent, but ask yourself this...When was the last time Souhan, Dougie, Reusse, etc...wrote a positive piece on the Gophers?

Reusse wrote a positive article about Weber following the Michigan State game....mentioning the 17 penalties but in the context of how Weber and the Gophers overcame them.

excerpt:

Weber required resilience to keep the Gophers in this shootout as his team faced an avalanche of penalties, and he required good fortune on a final, stunning touchdown. But when it was over, some magic indeed had showed up in the new stadium.

----------------------

Jim Souhan following a loss to Cal:

excerpts:

Decker had set Minnesota receiving records and produced three touchdowns, Best had scored five times, and the Gophers' willingness to take on a national power had produced a winning atmosphere if not a signature victory.

There is no shame in losing to a good team, and there is glory in performing the way Decker did against one. While facing Cal standout cornerback Syd'Quan Thompson, Decker caught eight passes for 119 yards and two touchdowns, and he threw another touchdown pass to MarQueis Gray, accounting for all of the Gophers' scores.

The U unwittingly built the stadium just in time to feature the best receiver in Gophers history during his senior year.

I was around the team for weeks in March & April ... Theret is as nice a kid as there is ... thoroughly impressed with Tim Davis & Fisch among others ... They, like EVERY NFL and college team, deserve to be lauded for their charitable contributions ... they have great behind-the-scenes people who line up many of those events ... Brewster, because of Sid, went to an event for St. David's a few months ago ... went on his own with his wife ... I am well aware of the stuff he does ... that is separate than the on-the-field happenings.

Doogie i rarely comment to individuals so please take this with a grain of salt

i came to this board originally to gain information about the coach the team and my son....

if i was aware of this board and the shenanigans and preposterous opinions that are espoused by you and others calling people who support their coach and program apologist... i would have advised my son to spend 4 to five of his formative college years playing football else where...

the very optimistic and up beat attitude that a lot of people rail against on this board referring to the head coach as a snake oil salesman is the very thing that convinced us to come to Minnesota after they finished the season 1 and 11 over the many other opportunities that we could have taken advantage of.... some schools fresh of of bcs bowl appearances... and at functions and in the stands when i speak with other parents and family members of other players who had opportunities to play football else where an overwhelming majority felt the same way..

The point is that coaches in college sports are judged by the success or lack there of by their recruiting class .... period and point blank...

to do otherwise you end up with charlie weiss who did great with willingham's recruits not so well with his own

i think the point has been made it is easier to buy a player than it is to make one from scratch..
Brewster s players start coming out of the oven next year
at the chance that i may sound a bit silly with this next line but here goes any way

can u smelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll what the Brew is cookin

i can and it smells like an up and coming top program to me

i came to this board originally to gain information about the coach the team and my son....

if i was aware of this board and the shenanigans and preposterous opinions that are espoused by you and others calling people who support their coach and program apologist... i would have advised my son to spend 4 to five of his formative college years playing football else where...

Hi Pops, while I'm sure that the Gopherhole can be a frustrating place, I can assure you that every fan message board of every team is filled with everything that the GH has. I'm glad that this really wasn't part of your decision-making process - if so your son wouldn't have enrolled at any D-1 school!!!

The best you can do is try to pull out the good tidbits of info that do exist in all the clutter, ignore those who are incoherent at best or just ignorant at worst, and contribute what you can to making the board a better place (which you are - I wish everyone could say that).

At any rate, I'm glad to hear that you smell what Brew is cooking - it's awfully hard for many fans to see progress on the field so it's good to hear that someone with inside info has confidence in the future.

Read my stuff from April ... and following the Syr. and AF games ... also remember, this board has 10-times the amount of visitors as it has posters ... I can guarantee you that many are as upset as I am, and in many cases, more upset ... we get it, you're a Brewster apologist ... that's OK.

Now this here is funny. I see Doogie, only the 'Brewster Apologists' are active on the board while the true fans with proper perspective are lurkers!! good one. I have a feeling it's roughly the same. And they're none to happy with you either. You're much like a Washington politician who has lost touch with the voting public because he spends all his time hanging out with the good ole boys. you no longer get it.

See Doogie? You're negativity (and everyone elses) here does have an impact on the outside world. I'm not saying you've got to be constantly positive (insert joke about Brewster here), but THINK before you post! Is your next negative post really that necessary?

Gopher Pops and other parents or perspective parents, it's kind of frightening that you check out GH although if I were in your shoes I'd probably do it too. But we are just fans who for the most part who really like the Gopher's, some of us get a bit too hyphy but we all have the same goal, a solid gophers program. And then there is Doogie who just wants to be a journo... So please take this site with a grain of salt.

One other thing I'd like to add is that I think that playing Big Ten football in a popular NFL city is that many fans DO look at the Vikings and Gophers as apples to apples.
The NFL has 32 teams and is very easy to watch. Games are pretty much set at noon on Sunday's and player turnover (among the good players) is very minimal.
College football has 120+ teams, gametimes all over the place and player turnover every 4 years.

The NFL sucks viewers in because it really doesn't take much effort to follow the team. The NFL has a draft and everyone knows who the #1 pick is and usually that player sees the field in his first year. College football on the other hand isn't as cut and dry. Signing day is great for a guy like me, but for the average fan none of the names on the list rings a bell.

The average fan just doesn't take the time to analyze (and realize) that signing day is drastically different than a draft day. I believe this is where most people compare the UofM to the Vikings. They see Brett Favre sign with the Vikings and wonder why the Gophers don't go out and get a QB that can sling it all over the field.

NFL=instant gratification
College Football= patience

Next year ask a Viking fan who their #1 pick is...then ask them to name 1 player from the Gophers 2010 recruiting class. I'm not blaming Vikings fans for this, it's just that the NFL model is soo much easier to follow and predict.

the very optimistic and up beat attitude that a lot of people rail against on this board referring to the head coach as a snake oil salesman is the very thing that convinced us to come to Minnesota after they finished the season 1 and 11 over the many other opportunities that we could have taken advantage of.... some schools fresh of of bcs bowl appearances... and at functions and in the stands when i speak with other parents and family members of other players who had opportunities to play football else where an overwhelming majority felt the same way..

The point is that coaches in college sports are judged by the success or lack there of by their recruiting class .... period and point blank...

to do otherwise you end up with charlie weiss who did great with willingham's recruits not so well with his own

i think the point has been made it is easier to buy a player than it is to make one from scratch..
at the chance that i may sound a bit silly with this next line but here goes any way

gopherpops -- Your post is duly noted ... By the way, how many times have I said that I am the ultimate Weber apologist? ... it's not a negative connotation. Also, I am not entirely sure which parent you are (no different from everyone on here, rarely will individuals actually sign their real name), but I am guessing your son had some other OK offers ... the stuff in this metro -- much to my dismay the Gophers football team is maybe the 5th most popular team -- is timid compared to most college markets.

look at it through our eyes

See Doogie? You're negativity (and everyone elses) here does have an impact on the outside world. I'm not saying you've got to be constantly positive (insert joke about Brewster here), but THINK before you post! Is your next negative post really that necessary?

Gopher Pops and other parents or perspective parents, it's kind of frightening that you check out GH although if I were in your shoes I'd probably do it too. But we are just fans who for the most part who really like the Gopher's, some of us get a bit too hyphy but we all have the same goal, a solid gophers program. And then there is Doogie who just wants to be a journo... So please take this site with a grain of salt.

We as parents want whats best for our kids
we live in an information age...
we would be negligent if we did not do our due diligence and research what and where and what the environment is we are sending our children to.
if this is the fan base
and the majority of the comments and articles are about fire the coach after he has had only two recruiting classes
and i am concerned about systems and stability

why on god's green earth would i want to put my kid in that kind of pressure cooker...

Quoted for the use of hyphy... (added dots for emphasis)

hahaha message board I used to post on (DU Nation) that was a very popular word. That reminds me of yet another.

Doogie, get nice.

Love the attitude man...I'm excited for the upcoming years as well....let the man play with his recruits!

EASY TO BE A CRITIC!

THE TC'S HAS THE BIGGEST GROUP OF CHEAP SHOT CRITICS IN THE MEDIA.YOU CAN TELL THEY NEVER HAD TO CREATE SOMETHING AND MAKE IT WORK.IF YOU WANT TO WIN A PULITZER PRIZE FOR TEARING SOMEONE DOWN, GO WRITE FOR THE WASHINGTON POST.

exactl

gopherpops -- Your post is duly noted ... By the way, how many times have I said that I am the ultimate Weber apologist? ... it's not a negative connotation. Also, I am not entirely sure which parent you are (no different from everyone on here, rarely will individuals actually sign their real name), but I am guessing your son had some other OK offers ... the stuff in this metro -- much to my dismay the Gophers football team is maybe the 5th most popular team -- is timid compared to most college markets.

DOOGIE i do not sign under my real name out of respect for my son..... it would be too much of a distraction and soon any comment i made positive or negative could possibly end up some place i did not intend it to be.. with that said after this i will probably limit my responses..

as far as my son having just some ok offers you could not be more wrong we had several offers from top programs ..but then again maybe that is part of that negativity that everyone accuses you of participating in...... and in other markets where there may be some who have a bone to pick with a coach or a call that was made.... I'm sure nobody is calling for the head of Les miles today ... and I'm telling you that all this negativity leads me to believe that some here really don't want a winning program they just want something to complain about other wise no one would rush to
shoot themselves in the foot.... cause in the all you are doing his hurting recruiting and hurting the program...

Souhan is right on the money with Brewster. The man has no integrity, is a blowhard and a horrible coach. The longer he stays, the worse it will get.

Gopher Pops -- By OK, I meant a mix of BCS conf. and non-BCS ... don't read too much into that ... and Les Miles won a national title, and still takes heat with people saying that he only did it with Nick Saban's players.

DOOGIE i do not sign under my real name out of respect for my son..... it would be too much of a distraction and soon any comment i made positive or negative could possibly end up some place i did not intend it to be.. with that said after this i will probably limit my responses..

as far as my son having just some ok offers you could not be more wrong we had several offers from top programs ..but then again maybe that is part of that negativity that everyone accuses you of participating in...... and in other markets where there may be some who have a bone to pick with a coach or a call that was made.... I'm sure nobody is calling for the head of Les miles today ... and I'm telling you that all this negativity leads me to believe that some here really don't want a winning program they just want something to complain about other wise no one would rush to
shoot themselves in the foot.... cause in the all you are doing his hurting recruiting and hurting the program...

Actually quite a few fans have been calling for Les Miles' head and he has actually won a title. The level of criticism Brewster gets here is nothing compared to what other coaches with lot better records and career accomplishments receive at other porgrams.

thank you

Gopher Pops -- By OK, I meant a mix of BCS conf. and non-BCS ... don't read too much into that ..

my apologies sir..... i read that the wrong way thank you for taking the time to clear that misunderstanding on my behalf up..........

Spare us the preachy whining big Pop.

Are you really serious? What a preposterous comment. Every program has boards like this one, and many are much more frontal in their criticism of the players and coach.

Maybe you should just wrap your son in bubble wrap and buy a pacifier for yourself.

If your were my dad, I'd be a little uneasy after reading that pathetic, whining tripe.

Gopher Pops -- By OK, I meant a mix of BCS conf. and non-BCS ... don't read too much into that ... and Les Miles won a national title, and still takes heat with people saying that he only did it with Nick Saban's players.

I am not normally an attacker on these forums, Doogie, but it seems to me that it may be wise to be a little more careful in how you articulate your points, whether in the startrib or here. There are no flippant words or attitudes in public forums, yet it seems where you get most nailed is in the supposed witty comments you have a habit of making. Where Ruesse, Souhan and others get under people's skin is the same thing...their supposedly clever snide remarks (or in Souhan's recent article idiotic comparisons) is where readers seem to respond most to. Maybe that is the point behind the stupid comments, but the only reaction I have for it is to stop reading and consider the writer not worth wasting my time on.

I will speak for myself, as others have their own say, but personally I perfer

1. Professionalism - by professionalism, I mean with dignity and respect for who you are writing about. If the subject is not deserving of praise, at least articulate the reasons why not rather than snide remarks.

I must confess to being amazed at Ruesse's article on the Twins drafting Mauer rather then Prior. The problem is he (and others) felt so absolutely correct in their judgment of the Twins they felt entitled to spew whatever they wanted. Four years later, after the MVP award, Ruesse finally swallows his words. Maybe if he would have not felt so full of his own opinion, he would be able to swallow his words a little easier. Even with the article, integrity of writing is not something I would consider when thinking of Ruesse.

2. Articulation of argument, not snide comments (especially against Brewster since he has become the current whipping post). I do enjoy clever, but not at the sacrifice of truth or fairness.

3. Just a little depth of thought...please...Coaching a college football team, having to get the athletes you want is far different then being a pro football coach (see Souhan and what most rightly consider an absolutely stupid comparison). I am by far not saying that every move Brew has made is correct. I am just saying that the kids need time to develop and get adjusted to what he is doing. Though he got rid of Dunbar and the OL coach last year (which I did not think was necessarily a bad move), the kids have to relearn their positions from a new system. It takes time. The DC I do not hang against Brew. I am certain he was thinking he would retain Roof.

I personally enjoy articles that cover more then one point. John Castino, the Twins second baseman was continually degraded by one writer for his new contract just prior to being laid up and finally having to retire due to injury. Finally John took him out to lunch and I have no idea what was said, but the writer backed off.

Writers get one stick and start beating on it with the Gophers, or others, and fail to articulate or appreciate the whole story. Like writers ragging on Favre's throwing last year in teh second half without any mention he had an injured shoulder that needed to be operated on.

4.Personally I am fine with critical thinking/writing, it can be very beneficial. but I am not with irresponsibility. It is awfully easy to sit back and have an opinion. The only thing you risk is maybe a little hate mail, emails, or comments on forums like this.

Before writing, and I would say this to Ruesse, Souhan, and others...ask "is it correct? is it fair? Is it responsible?

It is my hope that Brew bounces back with a successful year next year if for no other reason then to let his critics know they are not that clued into what it means to be a successful coach. One would think Childress would have gotten that message across, but maybe Brew has to shout it a little louder.

if doogie was smart he would get a sock. that way he could build himself up and tear people down without anyone knowing!

Are you really serious? What a preposterous comment. Every program has boards like this one, and many are much more frontal in their criticism of the players and coach.

Maybe you should just wrap your son in bubble wrap and buy a pacifier for yourself.

If your were my dad, I'd be a little uneasy after reading that pathetic, whining tripe.

I don't think it is preposterous at all. There is way to much irresponsible writing on this board against coaches and players. It is way to easy to get behind the keyboards and degrade coaches, players or whoever annoys us at that moment without one ounce of responsibility for our language or expression. Your comments reek of pompous attitude. What until you become a father before you get to feeling entitled to be critical of another father.

By your post, I'm guessing you're not a father.

I read Souhan's article after I had read much of this thread. There seems to be a kneejerk reaction on this board to rip anything perceived as even vaguely "anti-Gopher". Frankly, I think Souhan's article was well done, and maybe some people on this board have missed the point.

I agree that it would be ridiculous to compare pro and college coaches head to head. But Souhan didn't do that directly. He merely stated that Childress has improved in many areas since he took over the Vikings. He's managed to become more of a player's coach, he actually has an offense, he's made excellent decisions (not on his own, mind you) on bringing in the right players on both sides of the ball. He went from having a very antagonistic relationship with the media to earning their respect, and doing a better PR job in general.

Brewster, on the other hand, has made very few improvements. I don't see this year's recruiting class being as good as his first one (2008). And recruiting was supposedly his main strength. As far as coaching goes, I've seen monkeypooh fights at the zoo that are better organized and disciplined than our team. 3 years into his coaching OJT program and we're still calling back to back TO's before running a plunge play? Brilliant! And one would think that Brewster could have foreseen in 2007 that he might want to bring in a few more RB prospects. Instead we hang our running game's future on a kid who they must have known was a longshot to get admitted.

I could go on and on, but you get the idea. Souhan's point wasn't that Childress is a better coach than Brewster. In fact, Childress could easily blow as a head college coach. Generally guys excel at one level or another. Look at Spurrier, Saban, or Carroll, just for starters. But I agree with him that Childress has improved himself as a coach over the past 3 years. I've yet to see any evidence that Brewster has improved in any area, other than maybe figuring out he should STFU occasionally about the whole Pasadena thang.

here is how they are the same, both are easy targets, and both will get flack until they win.

I would like my detractors to notice that I have refrained from joining in the beatdown upon young Darren Wolfson, and have instead enjoyed a nice bowl of popcorn while others piled on. Continue at your leisure. Schtick broken.

I don't know if Brewster is the answer or not, but I'm willing to let him figure it out for another year.

But, Souhan (who I usually like) has now whiffed on two straight columns. He should take a look at the situation. So, now he thinks Childress is awesome. That's fine. But, he should learn a lesson, because it was only about 20 months ago that he was writing about how bland and boring Chile (his word) was and how the Packers got the better coach in McCarthy. He was talking about what a mistake it was for the Wilf's to be so quick to hire Chile. Now, he thinks Chile is the best.

If there is a lesson to be learned there, it is that things can change. I'm willing to let Brewster field a team of mostly "Brewster recruits" before I pass final judgement. Certainly, there are things that concern me. But, I'm not sure it is time to pull the plug, and certainly it isn't time to make any bold claims about a hire - specifically for Souhan - who just two years ago was calling the Childress hire a failure.

Souhan likes his Chile hot!:p

Problem I have with TC sports media: Lots of mouthing off. Very few pieces involve in-depth investigation that would truly serve readers. Perhaps it's the nature of the beast, but still, when all a writer does is pound out one bitingly sarcastic line after another without attempting to find the source of the horrible problems identified by their expert analysis, then I stop taking the work seriously. Everybody on this board knows what on-field problems the 2009 Gophers have experienced. We don't need media to tell us what we've been looking at. There's not a single recent piece by Souhan that could not just as well have been written by any articulate sports fan. Problem is, he and his colleagues are the ones who have access to coaches, administrators and players. If local "sports journalists" truly believe the stuff they write, then it's time some of them step up, do the work for which they're paid and give local sports fans the kind of inside perspective we can't get from each other.

Top Bottom