Souhan Compares Childress and Brewster Hires in Strib Today..

GoGophers2005

Reaction score
saying they have gone in opposite directions since they've been hired. Wow.
Can we compare NFL head coaches and college football coaches? Absolutely not!

1. When does Brewster get to draft his team?
2. Who is Brewster's Ziggy Wilf? In other words who is going to give Brew the money to go and get Jared Allen?

It's so transparent that the media in this town are so down on the UofM it isn't even funny. Can these people not take a step back and get some perspective?

He's also written an article recently on both Brew and Chilly regarding contract extensions, stating how Chilly deserves one and how Brew hasn't. Let me get this straight:
1. Chilly gets an extension for going 9-1 AND DOESN'T HAVE 1 PLAYOFF WIN UNDER HIS BELT.
2. Brew doesn't get an extension when he starts out 7-1 last year AND WILL BE GOING TO HIS 2ND CONSECUTIVE BOWL GAME.

I don't get it (especially when the Vikings get 2 free wins against the Lions EVERY season).

Perspective:
Let's take a look at some teams that have similar records as the Gophers do..
Oklahoma (6-5)
Tennesee (6-5)
Kansas State (6-6) AND played Nebraska for Big 12 North Title..who says the Big Ten is down?
Florida State (6-5)
Texas A&M (6-5)
UCLA (6-5)
South Carolina (6-5)
Notre Dame (6-5)

How about notable teams with worse records...
Michigan (5-7)
North Carolina State (4-7)
Arizona State (4-7)
Maryland (2-9)
Virginia (3-8)
Louisville (4-7)
Kansas (5-6)

Souhan then finishes his little blurb about how Brews press conferences are 'a waste of time'.
I get the same reaction reading Souhan's newspaper articles.

It's stupid to compare the two. Next is he going to write a hard-hitting piece comparing Tubby Smith to Kurt Rambis?

I don't know if Brewster is the answer or not, but I'm willing to let him figure it out for another year.

But, Souhan (who I usually like) has now whiffed on two straight columns. He should take a look at the situation. So, now he thinks Childress is awesome. That's fine. But, he should learn a lesson, because it was only about 20 months ago that he was writing about how bland and boring Chile (his word) was and how the Packers got the better coach in McCarthy. He was talking about what a mistake it was for the Wilf's to be so quick to hire Chile. Now, he thinks Chile is the best.

If there is a lesson to be learned there, it is that things can change. I'm willing to let Brewster field a team of mostly "Brewster recruits" before I pass final judgement. Certainly, there are things that concern me. But, I'm not sure it is time to pull the plug, and certainly it isn't time to make any bold claims about a hire - specifically for Souhan - who just two years ago was calling the Childress hire a failure.

Souhan, Reusse Doogie etc can't gain readership by writing quality pieces so they flame to try and elicit a response. Similar to a lot of posters who flame to get a reaction and gain the attention they crave.

Agreed tjgopher. I think the one thing about the media now, especially in the dying print newspaper industry, is that they want their columnists to not only go with what they perceive is the prevailing sentiment of the public, but to overstate the case and drum up the anger or glee. I blame sports talk radio for this. It's really hard to state an objective case because everyone wants to be angry about something so why should one calmly dissect what is actually going on.

Childress is a solid football guy, but he's not the second coming of Vince Lombardi. He has some advantages with a very active and aggressive ownership and there is no question he has used those advantages well. But if you want to talk about a guy whose public display is largely of a guy who thinks he's smarter than anyone in the room, it's probably Childress. I don't honestly think Childress believes that, but he reminds me a bit of Tom Kelly in that he could use a week or two in charm school.

Brewster is the opposite in a lot of ways and his challenges are greater than Childress' in many respects. I don't like the hyperbole that Brewster spews, but he's trying to re-build a fan base that has been badly damaged by 30 years of sub-par performance and lack of coaching energy, so I cut him some slack in that department. I also think Brewster is a solid football guy and he does deserve a chance to see his recruits take the field. We'll find out soon enough if he's a true head coach.

1. Chilly gets an extension for going 9-1 AND DOESN'T HAVE 1 PLAYOFF WIN UNDER HIS BELT.
2. Brew doesn't get an extension when he starts out 7-1 last year AND WILL BE GOING TO HIS 2ND CONSECUTIVE BOWL GAME.

I get that it's not a fair comparison, but come on. Childress has at least improved his record every year. How many bowl wins does Brewster have? How many trophy game wins does Brewster have? How many Big Ten wins in November does Brewster have, FFS???

I'm not sure if you're arguing that Brewster deserves an extension or not, but what happened after the 7-1 start?

You have some points elsewhere in your post, but this one is just kinda dumb.

This is the stupid column I've ever read. It's comparing apples to kiwis. They're both fruit, but other than that, they couldn't be more different.

If Brewster could add a legendary QB who had been running his offensive system since before many of the other players on the roster were out of elementary school, I'm sure the results from the offense would have improved.

Souhan, Reusse Doogie etc can't gain readership by writing quality pieces so they flame to try and elicit a response. Similar to a lot of posters who flame to get a reaction and gain the attention they crave.

Examples of flaming?

I'm not arguing that Brew should or shouldn't get an extension, I'm just saying that Souhan shouldn't be writting such glowing articles on Chilly when the only thing he's done is basically go 9-1 with no playoff wins. Just like it was too early to give Brew an extension when he started off going 7-1.

I dont' know how you can ask those questions about Brewster and apply them to Childress. Trophy games? November wins?

Also, here is how Chilly has put together this team:
Draft Erasmus James and Kenechi Udeze....and when they suck go out and trade for Jared Allen. That's how easy it is to put together an NFL team. (this is somewhat tongue and cheek, but this is soooo far from the tools that Brew can use to improve his team and guys like Souhan somehow fail to realize these basic facts.)

Also, here is how Chilly has put together this team:
Draft Erasmus James and Kenechi Udeze....and when they suck go out and trade for Jared Allen. That's how easy it is to put together an NFL team.

We did get some transfers, doesn't that count :p

This is the stupid column I've ever read. It's comparing apples to kiwis. They're both fruit, but other than that, they couldn't be more different.

If Brewster could add a legendary QB who had been running his offensive system since before many of the other players on the roster were out of elementary school, I'm sure the results from the offense would have improved.

We are still waiting for the NCAA clearing house to rule on Elway.

Examples of flaming?

doogie, your entitiled to your opinions and what not as am i! but as my boy katt williams says, "if people say your a crack head for 20 years, your a crack head!"

the majority of people on this board believe your very negative about this program in your writings...never once have i read an article about the football team that says, "brew has done a good job doing this _______, and this is why!" and you wouldnt have to do just brew, you could do a certain player, assistant coach, etc etc. but instead you do what many "journalists" do, and write something that pisses off the majority for a reaction so many people read your stuff! i guess its a free country and you will do what you do...i guess if i was in your position, and had the access etc, i would do as much as possible to help out my school/program and shed a positive light as much as possible. believe it or not, but the media helps the fan base as well as it can hurt a fan base. the more writers talk about a bad coach, bad players, bad fans...the worse it will get. i think this is my biggest reason why i support brew, he doesnt go into every situation with negativity and blame. its refreshing to me being from minnesota, since im used to the vikes figuring out ways to pee down their legs at the end of every season, the twins not building to win a world series, and the twolves-well i dont have to explain their issues!

flames

Doogie
"I went to the first few Brewster press conferences and provided the board with his quotes ... then was able to sift through the BS, and stopped going"

This is a Gopher football fan board. What type of reaction did you expect when you wrote that Brewster is a no brainer for turkey of the year? Very lazy. It takes a lot more work to attend practices, be around the team to get a true feel and then write your piece.

Try attending a charity event hosted by Brewster and the U athletes for terminally ill children and then say he is full of BS and the turkey of the year. I think if you want the turkey of the year you need only to look in the mirror.

Try attending a charity event hosted by Brewster and the U athletes for terminally ill children and then say he is full of BS and the turkey of the year. I think if you want the turkey of the year you need only to look in the mirror.

That would require him to go out & do something. It's much easier going off of rumors of "dressing down Maturi" than reporting or offering decent opinion.

I'm not worried though...6-years & $18 million to a new coach from a fan base that complains about seat licenses will fix everything. If it was that easy of a fix for everything, we'd have Tony Kornheiser writing for Gopherhole and Doogie would be left shooting birds at the airport.

Agreed. Childress has managed to beat Green Bay repeatedly. Do you think he'd still be on the Vikings sideline if he had gone 0 for 6 vs. the Vikes' biggest rival.

And while comparing college to pro football is apples/oranges in many ways, there are some kernels of truth. Yeah, Brewster doesn't have Zygi to write checks and bring in guys like Jared Allen and #4. But Brewster's main selling point was that he's a top notch recruiter who would bring in the talent. He's made some noticable improvements in athletic ability of the kids he's brought in, but that hasn't translated into results on the field yet.

OMG

You have got to be kidding?

The comparison is between Brewster and Viking Management but that isn't even close to apples to apples.

The Vikings get to draft a rookie that can start immediately. (Peterson, Loadholt, Harvin). The Gophers get to recruit freshmen that are often 1-3 years away from contributing.

The Vikings can sign Brett Favre and Jared Allen. The Gophers can't pick up John Clay and Greg Jones next year.

They ripped on Childress' kick ass offense. Add Adrian Peterson, Brett Favre, Percy Harvin, etc and suddenly Childress is really improving as a coach?

Ziggy was just on the radio and they asked about Brett Farve and how good he has made the team. Ziggy (or it may have been his bother, not sure) said something like "its not just Brett, he has made everyone on the offense better."

Well then it IS Brett Favre if HE is making everyone else better.

Is Souhan dumb enough to think that Brew would be the same coach if Drew Brees was handing off to Marion Barber?

It IS Brew's job to recruit the players but his first class are true sophomores, redshirt freshmen and even true freshmen in guys like Gray, Maresh and Reeves that were a year late. Vince Young made a splash as a junior at Texas and Gray is a true frosh and Brew hasn't gotten it done with his guys yet?

Does Souhan actuallly think they would have the same record without Favre? Without Allan? The Vikings have more pro bowl players that any team in the league and its not even close. The Vikings front office deserves a lot of credit and most coaches in the NFL could drive that ship. Most coaches in Minnesota history have failed to upgrade the roster to a level where we can whip the opponent. That process of turning over the roster is underway and the result is not yet known.

doogie, your entitiled to your opinions and what not as am i! but as my boy katt williams says, "if people say your a crack head for 20 years, your a crack head!"

the majority of people on this board believe your very negative about this program in your writings...never once have i read an article about the football team that says, "brew has done a good job doing this _______, and this is why!" and you wouldnt have to do just brew, you could do a certain player, assistant coach, etc etc. but instead you do what many "journalists" do, and write something that pisses off the majority for a reaction so many people read your stuff! i guess its a free country and you will do what you do...i guess if i was in your position, and had the access etc, i would do as much as possible to help out my school/program and shed a positive light as much as possible. believe it or not, but the media helps the fan base as well as it can hurt a fan base. the more writers talk about a bad coach, bad players, bad fans...the worse it will get. i think this is my biggest reason why i support brew, he doesnt go into every situation with negativity and blame. its refreshing to me being from minnesota, since im used to the vikes figuring out ways to pee down their legs at the end of every season, the twins not building to win a world series, and the twolves-well i dont have to explain their issues!

Read my stuff from April ... and following the Syr. and AF games ... also remember, this board has 10-times the amount of visitors as it has posters ... I can guarantee you that many are as upset as I am, and in many cases, more upset ... we get it, you're a Brewster apologist ... that's OK.

Doogie
"I went to the first few Brewster press conferences and provided the board with his quotes ... then was able to sift through the BS, and stopped going"

This is a Gopher football fan board. What type of reaction did you expect when you wrote that Brewster is a no brainer for turkey of the year? Very lazy. It takes a lot more work to attend practices, be around the team to get a true feel and then write your piece.

I was around the team for weeks in March & April ... Theret is as nice a kid as there is ... thoroughly impressed with Tim Davis & Fisch among others ... They, like EVERY NFL and college team, deserve to be lauded for their charitable contributions ... they have great behind-the-scenes people who line up many of those events ... Brewster, because of Sid, went to an event for St. David's a few months ago ... went on his own with his wife ... I am well aware of the stuff he does ... that is separate than the on-the-field happenings.

It's a simple argument that Mr. Souhan turned into another negative Gopher article...The Vikes now have horses and the Gophers don't--YET! Let's see what Brewster can do with these underclassmen. I have a sneaky suspicion that Brewster is going to magically turn into a great coach deserving an extension. People don't seem to get the fact that you win with horses and brew has some young colts ready to "buck up"

Further evidence that Souhan isn't a very bright guy.

I've just gotten to the point where I don't even worry or really care what most of the media says. I watch the games, I follow the team closely, and I'm not going to be influenced by what someone writes in the newspaper or says on tv. I'll develop my own opinions from what I know.

I enjoy good writing and will listen to talk radio whenever I can, but if it's obvious that someone has some kind of agenda, then I'll turn them off. It's fine if many of the media in the Twin Cities don't like Brewster and where the program is going, but it's getting so ridiculous now. It's obvious to me, Souhan is just searching for some way to rip on Brewster now. It was not a very well thought out article.

You guys are a little over-the-top in taking slight at any and every negative thing written about Brewster. The man hasn't done anything in 3 years and yet he can't stop spewing endless positivity about every facet of his program, even when it makes him look foolish. Sorry, but that's going to lead to some negative columns from objective observers.

Reusse clearly hates the guy and will never be able to be objective, even if he eventually wins. But Souhan, Doogie, etc. have generally been fair. Whether the comparison between Brewster and Childress is valid or not (the job of any football coach is to win, and hopefully win more then the year before) doesn't make it a terrible column. Childress had just gotten his extension while Brewster's seat is getting warm, it made sense to try and contrast them.

You can all go ahead believing that every single person in the 'evil' media has some sort of vandetta against Gopher football, but with a couple of obvious exceptions, it's not true.

You guys are a little over-the-top in taking slight at any and every negative thing written about Brewster. The man hasn't done anything in 3 years and yet he can't stop spewing endless positivity about every facet of his program, even when it makes him look foolish. Sorry, but that's going to lead to some negative columns from objective observers.

Reusse clearly hates the guy and will never be able to be objective, even if he eventually wins. But Souhan, Doogie, etc. have generally been fair. Whether the comparison between Brewster and Childress is valid or not (the job of any football coach is to win, and hopefully win more then the year before) doesn't make it a terrible column. Childress had just gotten his extension while Brewster's seat is getting warm, it made sense to try and contrast them.

You can all go ahead believing that every single person in the 'evil' media has some sort of vandetta against Gopher football, but with a couple of obvious exceptions, it's not true.

I agree with you to some extent, but ask yourself this...When was the last time Souhan, Dougie, Reusse, etc...wrote a positive piece on the Gophers? I'm not even talking about Brewster here...How about a piece on a walk on, a piece on a Gopher visiting a hospital, a story about how an unheralded recruit earned a scholorship, an academic risk getting his degree....Can you come up with anything? I read the trib EVERY single day and it just doesn't happen unless Youngblood writes sometimes positive.

Come on, people

It should be easy to figure things out by now. When Reusse or Souhan write an piece about football at any level, IGNORE IT! They don't know anything about the game. When they write an column about baseball, go ahead and read it and enjoy it. Reusse revisited Prior vs. Mauer in today's Strib, and it was great. Marcus Fuller is really the only person who has access (uses it) and writes about the Program with an understanding of football.

I agree with you to some extent, but ask yourself this...When was the last time Souhan, Dougie, Reusse, etc...wrote a positive piece on the Gophers? I'm not even talking about Brewster here...How about a piece on a walk on, a piece on a Gopher visiting a hospital, a story about how an unheralded recruit earned a scholorship, an academic risk getting his degree....Can you come up with anything? I read the trib EVERY single day and it just doesn't happen unless Youngblood writes sometimes positive.

From a football prospective, there hasn't bee anything positive to write about really since the Northwestern game. There was plenty of positive coverage the first 3-4 weeks of the year. Since then, there hasn't been, but we went from 3-1 to 6-6 and the one of the 3 wins was terribly embarassing. Even after MSU there was the fact that we had a million penalties and a player went out and got in trouble after the game. In general, the U had a very bad 4-6 weeks with everything that happened on the basketball team in addition to the football players who got in trouble. That dominated the coverage. That's just the way it is. No one on the basketball board is whining about it.

With regards to no articles about the other stuff, charities, kids graduating, you have a point. That type of thing generally doesn't get covered much, but that's across the board. How many articles do you see about the Twins Community Fund opening another baseball field, or the work the Vikings do every Tuesday? Not much.

saying they have gone in opposite directions since they've been hired. Wow.
Can we compare NFL head coaches and college football coaches? Absolutely not!

1. When does Brewster get to draft his team?
2. Who is Brewster's Ziggy Wilf? In other words who is going to give Brew the money to go and get Jared Allen?

It's so transparent that the media in this town are so down on the UofM it isn't even funny. Can these people not take a step back and get some perspective?

He's also written an article recently on both Brew and Chilly regarding contract extensions, stating how Chilly deserves one and how Brew hasn't. Let me get this straight:

I don't get it (especially when the Vikings get 2 free wins against the Lions EVERY season).

Perspective:
Let's take a look at some teams that have similar records as the Gophers do..
Oklahoma (6-5)
Tennesee (6-5)
Kansas State (6-6) AND played Nebraska for Big 12 North Title..who says the Big Ten is down?
Florida State (6-5)
Texas A&M (6-5)
UCLA (6-5)
South Carolina (6-5)
Notre Dame (6-5)

How about notable teams with worse records...
Michigan (5-7)
North Carolina State (4-7)
Arizona State (4-7)
Maryland (2-9)
Virginia (3-8)
Louisville (4-7)
Kansas (5-6)

Souhan then finishes his little blurb about how Brews press conferences are 'a waste of time'.
I get the same reaction reading Souhan's newspaper articles.

Comparing the two is complete folly. The realities of being a college coach and a professional coach are about as apples to oranges as it gets. Since these facts are apparently lost on Souhan, I would take anything he has to say with a pretty large grain of salt.

You guys are a little over-the-top in taking slight at any and every negative thing written about Brewster.

Let me start by saying I agree with this sentence fully. The board gets all bent out of shape any time anyone (note: anyone perceived as an "outsider") has something negative to say about the program. That goes for posters here, media members, etc. It's an understandable reaction when someone attacks something you love, but I agree it's often overboard.

Whether the comparison between Brewster and Childress is valid or not (the job of any football coach is to win, and hopefully win more then the year before) doesn't make it a terrible column. Childress had just gotten his extension while Brewster's seat is getting warm, it made sense to try and contrast them.

This is the part where you lost me. I abstain from commenting on the inevitable threads attached to the latest Reusse piece, slights from Randy Shaver, etc., but in this case, I felt compelled to make a comment because the column is just ridiculous. The operative word in your last sentence is "try." Mr. Souhan tried to contrast them, but doing so made him look like a fool IMO. It's simply not an apt comparison. The two situations couldn't be more different. They're both football coaches. That's where the similarities end. Apples to kiwis.

Top Bottom