Souhan Compares Childress and Brewster Hires in Strib Today..

gopherpops -- Your post is duly noted ... By the way, how many times have I said that I am the ultimate Weber apologist? ... it's not a negative connotation. Also, I am not entirely sure which parent you are (no different from everyone on here, rarely will individuals actually sign their real name), but I am guessing your son had some other OK offers ... the stuff in this metro -- much to my dismay the Gophers football team is maybe the 5th most popular team -- is timid compared to most college markets.

Complete and utter bull___, Doogie. Go to any college town (one without a pro franchise in that sport) and see if the majority of their big media constantly rips on them. No, they don't. Sure, there are plenty of negative articles when the team does poorly, but
(1) their sports media always follows and always cheers for the team (unlike yourself), win or lose
(2) wishes the best for their team and tries not to harm their advancement (unlike yourself, who loudly mocks the coach/team/program such that fans become apathetic, and future recruits stay away). There is no room in college town markets for negative ninnies like yourself in their media. Their fans would run them straight out of town with torches and pitchforks! Why immature people like you get paid in the Twin Cities market to be such absolute a__holes, I will never know. But you obviously know very little about college towns and their teams, just as you seem to know very little about college sports in general.

Bite the hand that feeds you. Great strategy. Fortunately for you, there will always be a Gopher football program for you to verbally abuse from behind your typewriter (in that cowardly manner, such as I am doing right now); as your incessant mockery won't run the U out of town - though it surely helps decrease interest in the program. But thanks for being such a traitor. I guess whatever keeps your job - you have to do what you have to do, right? Seems like being an a__hole to the U is the "in" thing to do in this state - well, at least if you are in the sports media market. And aren't you happy about it...

I don't think anybody expects you to be some program cheerleader or something; but a little more respect to the U and its fans seems to be in order, especially considering your Gopherhole side-job. There is more than enough mockery of the U from your disrespectful co-workers in the rest of the TC print and radio media. What perverse bandwagon mentality gets in you to make you think you need to do the same? The Twin Cities market is flooded with anti-Gopher people...it doesn't need another one. You want to make a name for yourself - write good stories about Gopher athletics - cover the teams with good information and insight - there are hundreds of thousands of Gopher fans out there looking for media like that.

This market is desperately hungry for a decent journalist who gets it. Of course who'd hire him? It'll probably have to come out of an online site like.... oh let me think.... oh I dunno. There must be one out there.

This market is desperately hungry for a decent journalist who gets it. Of course who'd hire him? It'll probably have to come out of an online site like.... oh let me think.... oh I dunno. There must be one out there.

If the Strib wanted to start selling more papers, they should fire Doogie and hire Gopherlady to do real Gopher analysis - seems she's pretty good at getting the scoop on a number of major Gopher sports; and give the Gophers the attention they deserve for the huge market that they are.

I am being dead serious here. Oh, and if Gopherhole wants more donations, getting rid of Doogie the big, bad bandwagon typewriter-bully would probably help.

Doogie, your "Turkey of the Year" piece was the definition of flaming. By definition, in your own article, you declare Brewster a no-brainer for Turkey of the Year over guys like Nick Punto and Royce White? You think a coach who led his team to about the exact type of year any knowledgeable football fan would have predicted as a bigger loser than Royce White? Are you serious, when you asked for an example of flaming?

The Gophers finished 6-6 and are going to some nothing bowl, per usual. It's annoying and as a Gopher fan, I really hoped for more. I completely agree that medocrity (or slightly less than mediocrity) can't be the standard for this program. However, to expect that anything could happen quickly, especially with the talent Brewster inherited is simply an example of ignorance. I would really love to hear someone make an argument that the Gophers had the talent to be (realistically) anything more than a 7-5 team. When we hired Tim Brewster, we all knew (and were excited) about his ability to recruit. Don't you think you need to give a guy who was hired because of his recruiting the benefit of the doubt until his recruiting classes are at least JRs, or are you trying to argue that a team consisting of SO/FR should win in the Big 10?

Furthermore, your note that you gave him props after the Syracuse game just reenforces my point. I hate to tell you, but a 12-0 loss at Iowa (without Decker and Green) is probably a better coaching job than winning by 3 in OT against Cuse. I am not making excuses for the loss, but as much as you flame Brewster for the lack of an offense, you fail to note the improved defense?

I'm sure you will just assume that i'm a Brewster apologist, but I don't think i've ever been an apologist for a coach. I like the Gophers much more than I like Tim Brewster and I just want to see what we have in a coach before I pass judgment. However, i'm sorry, I find it to be a prime example of "flaming" that you would write an article arguing that a coach who had a team that at worst underachieved by a game, is a bigger turkey than one of the best basketball players in the country putting his career in jeopardy for a pair of jeans and a laptop. I don't know, maybe i'm the apologist.

If Childress gets credit for improving the Vikings 'kick ass offense' then surely Brewster should get a parade for the improvement in his defense. Why is it so hard for Souhan to see that and give credit where credit is due?

Write a friggen column on the plus's this program has going for it. This team kept pretty much every team (minus the second half against OSU) in check and had a chance to win. Yeah, the offense is struggling, but who can't see that. At times it clicked and at times it didn't.

Look at all the kids coming back next year...write about that. Write about how nice the press box is for these turds to sit in. Write about the recruiting lounge.

I just can't believe how the media is piling on Brewster when the majority of fans don't want any part in firing Brewster. Souhan and Reusse are so out of touch with reality.

We were close. We all knew we would lose to Iowa from the first day of practice. 12-0, the defense had a huge day. I blame the Ill. loss on coaching and going for the long ball throughout the first half. You need to coach to what the team CAN accomplish. I blame the Wisc. game on 3 pts when at the goal line and calling a pass play and Weber getting sacked (coaching). We would have been proud of a team with 2 more wins.
As far as the Strib., when the Vikings are gone, and Tpaw and the legislature will chase them out of town, heads will role without the Vikings to sell papers

Top Bottom