Souhan.."7 or 8 victories to keep job"

I'm on board with that line of thinking. As I said before, losing to SoDak raised the bar on Brewster. Before this season started, I could forsee going 5-7 and him surviving. Now, he's got a lot of bad equity to undo, at least IMO, so 5-7 might not work, unless he's catching several big wins (Wisconsin, OSU, PSU, and Iowa). Of course, then you'd sit there wondering why this team is so incredibly inconsistent then. At this juncture though, he needs to focus on getting back to 2-2, cause 1-3 going into the Big Ten season ain't gonna cut it anyway.

Get back to 2-2, then MAYBE, he'll be able to sneak by with a 4-4 Big Ten record, though if those 4 wins are Northwestern, Purdue, Michigan State, and Illinois, that might still not get it done. MSU is a ranked team tho, so that would be a pretty quality win, but he needs a win over one of the "marquee" programs THIS year, just for sake of providing confidence to this fan base and the administration that we can beat those teams at all. And I'm not even one of those "signature win" type guys, I think they're overrated, but when you have a slip up of the magnitude of SoDak, it takes some good work to undo that.

Listing 5 or 6 guys that were predicting 8 wins when there are 100's of posters is a bit strange. I know many, many Gopher fans and most were predicting 5 wins with this schedule. You can find this kind of optimism on any college football site pre-season. I know one thing, Brewster does not need 7 or 8 wins to save his job. That's just not true. If he wins 4 Big Ten games and 2 NC games he will be back.

I say 4-8, with competitive games against Wisconsin, Iowa, Penn State and Ohio State is enough.

They are not going to win at Michigan State. They have to beat NIU, and two the three between Northwestern, Purdue, and Illinois, all three then guaranteed another year, especially if they play tough against the better teams. I think 3-9 spells the end.

That would mean 4 or more Big Ten wins....which would mean beating 1 of OSU, PSU, Iowa, or Wisc, or MSU.

NW and Purdue will be tough games too.

Hoping for some great victories.

I wonder how much the death of Jon's dad...and Connor's cancer have taken on the team the last few weeks. No one has said anything...and I have to believe it has taken a toll.

Brewster is an awesome guy...and cares so much about his players...I wish he would succeed.

GM

I saw Purdue play Ball St yesterday. Rest assured, that's a W-able game for the Gophers.

Listing 5 or 6 guys that were predicting 8 wins when there are 100's of posters is a bit strange. I know many, many Gopher fans and most were predicting 5 wins with this schedule. You can find this kind of optimism on any college football site pre-season. I know one thing, Brewster does not need 7 or 8 wins to save his job. That's just not true. If he wins 4 Big Ten games and 2 NC games he will be back.

Here is what gophermeister wanted:

"Please find one post where someone seriously predicts more than 7 wins. You kfan retards are really tiresome. You just spread their meme like it's gospel. Admittedly, people can get out of hand speculating, but that's what sports are about. Vikings fans consistently predict super bowl almost ever year yet have not been in over 30. If you want to complain about a bunch of koolaid drinkers, go over to one of their fan pages and bicker with them for awhile."

Then we get ripped for giving him the info. I dont get it.
I never claimed most fans were predicting this, but there were plent who were. I get called out on statements on this board all the time, and was just giving him the info he requested. No harm done.

Hit the nail

I say 4-8, with competitive games against Wisconsin, Iowa, Penn State and Ohio State is enough.

They are not going to win at Michigan State. They have to beat NIU, and two the three between Northwestern, Purdue, and Illinois, all three then guaranteed another year, especially if they play tough against the better teams. I think 3-9 spells the end.

This seems spot-on to me.

The main idea contradicting the "cut your losses - can Brewster now" thought is the "where do you go from here?" thought. Before the season, I put the over/under for wins at 5.5. Even with the USD loss, I'd still say the over/under is somewhere around 4 or 4.5.

It's going to be an uphill climb, but still a 70-80% shot that Brewster is the head coach for the 2011 season. Either way, I think that four wins in 2010 gives Brew a right to coach the team next year.

Either way, it's going to be a tough season. Ugh. :(

How dare fans of a team be optimistic about their upcoming season. Much better to be cynical and predict doom and gloom so you don't get your poor little feelings hurt.

+1000 Something is seriously twisted when any optimism is met with an onslaught of babbling about Kool-aid drinkers, homers and maroon and gold colored glasses.

As far as Brewster keeping his job, I don't think Souhan knows any better than anyone else. The rumor mill can say what it wants, but like it or loathe it, the rumor mill doesn't hire or fire.

It is pretty obvious, it would seem . if we turn this thing around and win a few games (yes, this is where we are at with a turn around, people), how can Maturi possibly justify keeping brew?? what is the sales pitch? Year 5 will be better than year 4? We didn't really peak in year 2 with Mason's players like you think we did, better times are ahead?? brew must go bowlling at a minimum to have any shot to stay. Look at the schedule. Who can we reasonably beat? Maybe 2 more wins are out there-3 tops. Rome is burning to the ground. Instead of drinking the kool-aid, let's throw it on the flames and get real folks.

Top Bottom