Souhan.."7 or 8 victories to keep job"

Go Gophers Rah

Section 238 Row 21
Reaction score
I apologize if a thread has already discussed this (I couldn't find it). i was surprised to read this in this morning's Strib from Souhan...

"My understanding is that Coach Brew needs to reach seven or eight victories to keep his job. Its hard to see him surpassing four."

I don't always like Souhan's writing, but have never found fault in his journalistic integrity, so I guess I'll believe that he has a legitimate source on this. My intention on this isn't to start a whole bicker-fest on whether 5, 6 or 7 victories is the "magic number," but rather to get people's input on whether they believe Souhan on this.

Read Souhan at your peril. He does not like football, does not like Gopher football in particular, and does not like Brewster at all. I don't put one ounce of stock in anything he writes. As a matter of fact, I discount everything he writes.

IMO, it is Souhan putting something out there that he has no knowledge of but is stating what he thinks it would be. Most of us were not predicting 7-8 win season even before the USD debacle. Not about the bicker fest I would like to start it by saying he needs to get at least...:)

That Coaches Hot Seat website also says something similar:

"Our friends in Minnesota tell us that Brewster really needs 8 wins in 2010 to be back for next season so take that for what it’s worth"

I don't know how legit this is, though. The site seems kind of cheesy.

IMO, it is Souhan putting something out there that he has no knowledge of but is stating what he thinks it would be. Most of us were not predicting 7-8 win season even before the USD debacle. Not about the bicker fest I would like to start it by saying he needs to get at least...:)

There was definitely a wild pack of koolaid drinkers predicting 8 wins, it's kind of funny...

I said 6 wins at the beginning of the season, I'll stand by that.

Unless it's four wins, with victories over Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Iowa. Then we've got some thinking to do I suppose.

I'm not sure that just beating Wisconsin and Iowa is enough with a couple other victories sprinkled in.

Say what you will about Pat and Jim, but they don't throw around shoddy pseudo-facts. Pretty reliable.

There was definitely a wild pack of koolaid drinkers predicting 8 wins, it's kind of funny...

Please find one post where someone seriously predicts more than 7 wins. You kfan retards are really tiresome. You just spread their meme like it's gospel. Admittedly, people can get out of hand speculating, but that's what sports are about. Vikings fans consistently predict super bowl almost ever year yet have not been in over 30. If you want to complain about a bunch of koolaid drinkers, go over to one of their fan pages and bicker with them for awhile.

Please find one post where someone seriously predicts more than 7 wins. You kfan retards are really tiresome. You just spread their meme like it's gospel. Admittedly, people can get out of hand speculating, but that's what sports are about. Vikings fans consistently predict super bowl almost ever year yet have not been in over 30. If you want to complain about a bunch of koolaid drinkers, go over to one of their fan pages and bicker with them for awhile.

I think it is going to take an above .500 record for Brew to keep his job, that doesn't mean however that I am predicting that is going to happen. I think 7-8 wins will solidify his job for next year.

I believe it was last April when Souhan said Tubby will be gone in 18 months. We'll see how reliable he is on that one as well.

Like it or not he is basically correct in stating that Brew needs a bunch of wins to keep his job at this point. He just has not delivered.

Go look in the "Gopher 2010 Schedule" thread dummy...

How dare fans of a team be optimistic about their upcoming season. Much better to be cynical and predict doom and gloom so you don't get your poor little feelings hurt.

How dare fans of a team be optimistic about their upcoming season. Much better to be cynical and predict doom and gloom so you don't get your poor little feelings hurt.

Nothing wrong with being optimistic but there is also a time to be realistic. We lost a lot on Defense & the same posters saying our Defense this year wouldn't lose a step were the same ones saying we don't have the talent on D after the USD game. I think it's funny that the "experts" knew we'd struggle on Defense this year due to so many younger players coming in but some of the "fans" couldn't see it until USD marched up & down the field at will against us. Football 101...

Go look in the "Gopher 2010 Schedule" thread dummy...

Could you provide a link? I searched the forum for "Gopher 2010 Schedule" and it didn't bring up any threads called that specifically. There was a one called 2010 Schedule wherein one person said 8-4 out of all the posts. Otherwise most folks had us at somewhere between 5-7 and 7-5. I think characterizing us as a bunch of koolaid drinkers rather unfair. Kind of makes you like the dummy.

Nothing wrong with being optimistic but there is also a time to be realistic. We lost a lot on Defense & the same posters saying our Defense this year wouldn't lose a step were the same ones saying we don't have the talent on D after the USD game. I think it's funny that the "experts" knew we'd struggle on Defense this year due to so many younger players coming in but some of the "fans" couldn't see it until USD marched up & down the field at will against us. Football 101...

"experts" or people with an opinion voicing it in an opinion forum? I do see one self professed expert and it's you. Happy to play the know-it-all now that the season is turning out to be a disappointment. Who do you think knows more about our team, diehard fans or the guy who does all the predictions for CFN? Who puts in more time analyzing our team? Most of these experts simply looked at returning starters and you and everyone else knows it. Do you think they watched all our games last year and knew that many of this years starters played meaningful minutes in a good defensive effort against Iowa for example? That they are right means they put in more research? What? I don't think there was anything funny about the USD game, but it says a lot about you that you did. You love being proven right more than you love the team you follow. It takes neither character, intelligence, or guts to be cynic. If you're right, everyone else is miserable like you are in real life, and you get to have some company with your misery. If you're wrong, you quickly jump on the bandwagon and life is grand. You are simply a coward and I feel sorry for people like you.
/rant

AliBowha predicted at least 7 wins more than once, as did a ton of others. I will find the thread and post it back to the front page for you.

I think he has to be .500. In other words, 6 wins.

I think he has to be .500. In other words, 6 wins.

That would mean 4 or more Big Ten wins....which would mean beating 1 of OSU, PSU, Iowa, or Wisc, or MSU.

NW and Purdue will be tough games too.

Hoping for some great victories.

I wonder how much the death of Jon's dad...and Connor's cancer have taken on the team the last few weeks. No one has said anything...and I have to believe it has taken a toll.

Brewster is an awesome guy...and cares so much about his players...I wish he would succeed.

GM

AliBowha predicted at least 7 wins more than once, as did a ton of others. I will find the thread and post it back to the front page for you.

Three hours and still waiting.

I don't doubt someone out there predicted more than 7 wins. My problem is with characterizing anyone who is remotely positive about the program as being a '"kool-aid drinker" or "delusional." The fellow calling us these names implied that a majority of fans were predicting 8 or more wins. That is not true or at least I have not seen evidence of it. A lot of us were cautiously optimistic. I recall someone say they hope win 8 and if we don't he hopes we only 2 so Brewster gets fired.

I don't doubt someone out there predicted more than 7 wins. My problem is with characterizing anyone who is remotely positive about the program as being a '"kool-aid drinker" or "delusional." The fellow calling us these names implied that a majority of fans were predicting 8 or more wins. That is not true or at least I have not seen evidence of it. A lot of us were cautiously optimistic. I recall someone say they hope win 8 and if we don't he hopes we only 2 so Brewster gets fired.

Never characterized anyone at all or called anyone names.

I was watching FB games this afternoon, I'll look it up...

OK - Thread is called "Before the first Game"

DL65 - 9-3
Vacter 9-3
Squid Weber 8-4
Nashvlgopher 8-4
Ski U Mah Gopher 8-4

And there are more tha that, FYI...:eek:

Here you go!

From eker0016
“Since I'm sick of reading the handwringing and bashing on both the BB and FB boards, I've decided to start a constructive discussion.

Early predictions on the 2010 schedule. Who do we have to beat, who are tossups, who would be a signature win etc.?

@Middle Tennessee State - W
South Dakota - W
Southern California - L (with a chance for a sneaky upset against a team that is reeling right now)
Northern Illinois - should win, but tough team W
Northwestern - tough team on the rise, W
@Wisconsin - got some experience, doesn't lose a lot. Tough game. L
@Purdue - L another team on the rise, toss-up. I think we split the Purdue/NW games
Penn State - W - Tim Brewster wins the first game he is supposed to lose.
Ohio State - L
@Michigan State - W program in turmoil due to losses, arrests
@Illinois - W see MSU, replace arrests with transfers
Iowa - L

The schedule looks very similar to last year, except we get the good teams at home and the bad teams away. Hopefully this means we can steal 1-2 of the games we are "supposed to lose" (a la PSU). I see a 7-5 season as realistic and likely optimistic...thoughts? “

From Goldmember:
8-4 is the benchmark for me.

“I agree with OP's W/L's, but I would say that either the WI or IA game also needs to be a W.

MTSU is better than people think. But as a Big Ten team you need to beat the Sunbelt teams evey time if you ever want to be better than mediocre.

The program needs an 8-win season. And this can be accomplished by beating all but one of the opponents they should beat (MTSU, NI, SD, NU, PU, IL, MSU), beating one rival (IA or WI) and having one big signature upset victory at home (USC, OSU, PSU).”

From gophersfan:
“Here is how i see it playing out.

@Middle Tennessee State - W
South Dakota - W
Southern California - W (Yes i think we can upset USC, they nothing special)
Northern Illinois - W
Northwestern - W
@Wisconsin - W (Another upset here)
@Purdue - W
Penn State - L
Ohio State - L
@Michigan State - L
@Illinois - W
Iowa - W

Yes 9-3.”

From golfinggopher:

“I like your attitude man! I think our offense will improve "tremendously"--I really do. Another year in the system and the o-line will be greatly improved and the receivers will start to figure things out. No matter who plays Q, we will be improved there because they have the whole offseason to work within Fisch's system. I'm hoping that Gray can step up here but I just want the best player playing, whoever it happens to be.

Defensively, I see a very inexperienced but very talented group. Unlike some people on here, I think Cosgrove did a great job with the group he had. I think we will have one of the young DE's step up and be a play maker (hoping for Hageman) and our LB's will be the fastest prolly in the history of the program. Carter is a stud DB and I think Lewis or one of the other RS freshman will step up and Collado has proven that he deserves some minutes (I'm hoping at safety) Our safetie's really need to step up, we need someone to emerge as a playmaker here (I've heard good things about that Juco they have coming in.)

I'm predicting 8-4 next year, I think this team will show the offense that we were hoping for this year and our defense will be top 5 in the big ten.”

From fridge 2012:
“i think a lot of the time, especially in the becky and hogeye games, we were our own worst enemy. in 2010, if we stop making mental mistakes and score TD's instead of FG's near the goal line, we go 8-4 perhaps 9-3. if we keep doing the same as we did this year, we have some agonizing defeats and go 5-7. we were very close to being 7-5 or 8-4 this year and i have hope that we'll turn it around, so i say 8-4 in 2010.

then in 2011 B10 championship talk will begin”

If I were the board of regents I would instruct Bruinicks not to fire Maturi and if I were Bruinicks I would instruct Maturi not to fire Brewster. The timing may not be ideal but the new president should pick the AD and the new AD should pick the new coach.

This coach is performing below the standard thet the current AD set when he fired the last coach. His removal can't be only to save face for the AD. Better for him to retire and have a new AD with no impure motives make the choice on the next coach.

Fair enough. However Charles, selectively editing goldmember's post just proves you're here to be dick. I read that one. He was stating that he wanted 8-4 and nothing less out of Brewster. Anyway, I claim victory for making you both wasting even a second of your all too brief lives to prove me wrong. ;-)

If I were the board of regents I would instruct Bruinicks not to fire Maturi and if I were Bruinicks I would instruct Maturi not to fire Brewster. The timing may not be ideal but the new president should pick the AD and the new AD should pick the new coach.

This coach is performing below the standard thet the current AD set when he fired the last coach. His removal can't be only to save face for the AD. Better for him to retire and have a new AD with no impure motives make the choice on the next coach.

That is right....when does Bruinicks leave?

Please tell me our admin isn't going to screw up the timing of this...at the end of the year. If Bruinicks steps down at the end of the football season....4 weeks for a new president...2 weeks for a AD...2 weeks for a coach...puts us at or near the messed up timing Maturi used for hiring current coach.

No more Harold Powells!!

For the health of Gopher Nation...I hope Brewster can go 8-4 still and steady the future.

GM

Fair enough. However Charles, selectively editing goldmember's post just proves you're here to be dick. I read that one. He was stating that he wanted 8-4 and nothing less out of Brewster. Anyway, I claim victory for making you both wasting even a second of your all too brief lives to prove me wrong. ;-)

Selective editing? I provided the entire quote moron!

Top Bottom