Sorry Gopher Fans the Biggest Problem With This Program Is...

Interesting comment about comparing the Gophers to Becky. If you remember, Wis. had some good years in the 80's but when Donna Shalala became president in the late 80's, and Barry A was hired, she demanded that her football program became a conference leader. My point being, our president hasn't pushed enough buttons to create that type of program.

Specifically the "demand" button.

Interesting comment about comparing the Gophers to Becky. If you remember, Wis. had some good years in the 80's but when Donna Shalala became president in the late 80's, and Barry A was hired, she demanded that her football program became a conference leader. My point being, our president hasn't pushed enough buttons to create that type of program.

It still comes down to the coaches and players. She could have demanded all she wanted, but if Alvarez ended up being a terrible coach who didn't recruit good players, the program may have never changed.

It still comes down to the coaches and players. She could have demanded all she wanted, but if Alvarez ended up being a terrible coach who didn't recruit good players, the program may have never changed.

You don't get it. The problem is you accept mediocrity. I thought that was clear. We should chat later this week because you are still accepting it. I on the other hand am not. From what I hear that will turn things around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only positive takeaway I had from Saturday's game was that if I was that pissed off that we lost then at least I still care enough to be pissed off. There are now exactly two meaningful games left on the schedule, Wisconsin and Nebraska. IF we can't win either of those, I expect my view of the games next year to be largely unobstructed by pesky fans sitting in front of me.

You don't get it. The problem is you accept mediocrity. I thought that was clear. We should chat later this week because you are still accepting it. I on the other hand am not. From what I hear that will turn things around.

So you have been the problem this whole time??

In order to have a major shakeup of the program, things are going to have to hit rock bottom. And, despite the reaction to the last two weeks, this is not rock bottom.

if the Gophers lose all of the remaining games on the schedule - if they start getting outscored 55-7 on a regular basis - if the season ticket base drops to 10,000 or lower - if major contributors/boosters cancel their donations - if advertisers pull out - then that will be rock bottom.

For better or worse, a lot of people have come to expect a 6 or 7 win season, and sneaking into a crappy bowl game, as a 'normal' season for Gopher FB. If you want major change, then you will have to be willing to watch the program bottom out - and it will be ugly.

(of course, this supposes that the Administration and the AD would be motivated enough to roll the dice on major changes.)

I think we bottomed out at the end of Brewster and start of Kill. Now we are at a plateau and Coyle needs to have leadership to move the program forward. There will be options at the end of the season to go forward and take no steps back.

In order to have a major shakeup of the program, things are going to have to hit rock bottom. And, despite the reaction to the last two weeks, this is not rock bottom.

if the Gophers lose all of the remaining games on the schedule - if they start getting outscored 55-7 on a regular basis - if the season ticket base drops to 10,000 or lower - if major contributors/boosters cancel their donations - if advertisers pull out - then that will be rock bottom.

For better or worse, a lot of people have come to expect a 6 or 7 win season, and sneaking into a crappy bowl game, as a 'normal' season for Gopher FB. If you want major change, then you will have to be willing to watch the program bottom out - and it will be ugly.

(of course, this supposes that the Administration and the AD would be motivated enough to roll the dice on major changes.)

I'm pretty sure we hit rock bottom at a free fall speed during the Salem, Wacker, and Brewster eras. If we dig any deeper, I'm afraid I'm going to have to brush up on my Mandarin.

I'm pretty sure we hit rock bottom at a free fall speed during the Salem, Wacker, and Brewster eras. If we dig any deeper, I'm afraid I'm going to have to brush up on my Mandarin.

if I recall, the year we started out with Rice as the first game, Minnesota and Rice were ranked as the two worst teams in college football. They called the game the toilet bowl.

we do find lots of ways to lose. That said, watching the Charger this years reminds me we are not alone

Ridiculous? Perhaps, but not as ridiculous as magical thinking. Do you think this program has any chance of transforming itself into Ohio State or Michigan any time soon if a bunch of fans start stomping their feet and pounding their fists in anger?

This program has not been in the same class as those programs at any time in the modern era and is not likely to approach that class anytime in the foreseeable future. As I see it you have two choices: 1) accept this program's limitations and just take pleasure in those 8 or 9 win seasons when they come along or 2) become a fan of a program with a performance level that more closely matches your desires.

One question: Do you have this high of expectations for your own performance in your daily life? If so, you must be a very successful individual. If not, then I guess you are far more accepting of your own limitations than you are of this football program's.

Absolutely, why would anyone not set their expectations high? People and organizations and for that matter football programs perform to the level of expectation set. Whether it is the administration (which I believe), or the athletic director or other faction there is NOT an expectation of winning in place. Even some of these posts "so all we have to do is expect them to win them all and go out and land 15-20 top 300 recruits and we'll be a NC contender. No sweat." give the impression that the difficult is unachievable. So here we sit .... I listen all the time how we all would be happy with 8-3 each year... which makes 7-4 and even 6-5 "OK". I submit to you that we all deserve better.

Absolutely, why would anyone not set their expectations high? People and organizations and for that matter football programs perform to the level of expectation set. Whether it is the administration (which I believe), or the athletic director or other faction there is NOT an expectation of winning in place. Even some of these posts "so all we have to do is expect them to win them all and go out and land 15-20 top 300 recruits and we'll be a NC contender. No sweat." give the impression that the difficult is unachievable. So here we sit .... I listen all the time how we all would be happy with 8-3 each year... which makes 7-4 and even 6-5 "OK". I submit to you that we all deserve better.

NEWSFLASH: What us zippers write on GH about recruiting, expectations, etc. has NO impact on the success of this football team. Zero, Zip, Zilch. Sorry to break the news to you.

NEWSFLASH: What us zippers write on GH about recruiting, expectations, etc. has NO impact on the success of this football team. Zero, Zip, Zilch. Sorry to break the news to you.

Oh I am so shocked! And here I thought this message board was a means to an end. Ha shame shame! Very surprised though by the apathy of the zippers .... on to change the world.

Oh I am so shocked! And here I thought this message board was a means to an end. Ha shame shame! Very surprised though by the apathy of the zippers .... on to change the world.

Then why the rant about how the football team will perform to expectations and examples of how posts on GH demonstrate low expectations? More of this "don't accept mediocrity" discussion crap.

Make America Great Again!

People and organizations and for that matter football programs perform to the level of expectation set.

All other things being static, the expectations we set as fans have zero influence on how the football program performs. 0.00%.

This is it in a nutshell. I respect Kill and Claeys, but it boils down to athletes and putting them in a system in which they can realize their potential. I think we are recruiting too many longshots and then shoving them into MAC-level schemes. I really liked Kill, but that's a problem I saw from the beginning with him and Claeys, for whatever coaching changes he makes, is in the same vein.

Then why the rant about how the football team will perform to expectations and examples of how posts on GH demonstrate low expectations? More of this "don't accept mediocrity" discussion crap.

Make America Great Again!

Can I assume then you are satisfied with the status of the program?

" I respect Kill and Claeys, but it boils down to athletes and putting them in a system in which they can realize their potential."

My biggest problem with Kill is that he clearly didn't like his chili hot.

Listen to Mackey and Judd and the minute they criticize the program for wetting the bed at Penn State they get 10 emails from Gopher bobo's defending the program and criticizing them for being negative to the program

So 100% of their audience responded via e-mail?

Your question is perfect for this silly thread/idea. Thanks for bringing it back up. You may be the first person to help with this brilliant idea.

No, I'm not. I wish we were better this year than we are. We are mediocre and I want to be better. Great. Established. Now, how does my disappointment change anything? Tell me man, what can I now do to help improve the future of Gopher Football. How can I not accept mediocrity and make a difference? Have you done this already? Please share.

" I respect Kill and Claeys, but it boils down to athletes and putting them in a system in which they can realize their potential."

My biggest problem with Kill is that he clearly didn't like his chili hot.

What does that even mean?

Chili is supposed to be hot...

Money talks and we all know what walks.
Until the moneyed donors to the U with a history of big donations put some heat on the president and put some serious money on the table to change the FB and BB culture nothing will really change.

Money talks and we all know what walks.
Until the moneyed donors to the U with a history of big donations put some heat on the president and put some serious money on the table to change the FB and BB culture nothing will really change.

On the topic of money, I'm not sure pressure on the president really means anything unless they're willing to shell out enough to support 5 mil a year for a coach and more for staff...

Kaler won't say it but at some point he has to say: You can come bitch at me all you want but I bankrolled your half paid for athletic facility and now you're upset I'm not paying 5 mil a year for some coach who wants a bajilliondollar buyout...

Having said that I'm not sure money is the start and end of everything, but the University certainly has paid up.

Maybe guys like scarf guy can hold off on trashing the university in public and get his friends to pay or something....

I'm not. Just the other day someone said Go Gophers and I punched them. We need to expect better. I think the players and coaches got my message.

Considering Minnesota is top 5 in Big Ten athletics revenue, there's really no reason to not spend top dollar on a coach.

Considering Minnesota is top 5 in Big Ten athletics revenue, there's really no reason to not spend top dollar on a coach.

Minnesota jumps above a few other teams because of hockey revenue. When you look at football revenue (which pays the football coach's salary), Minnesota is 8th in the Big Ten.

Top Bottom