Sophie Hart ( Farmington ) Leaving NC State

Mainstreeter

Reaction score
Per Twitter, Sophie Hart 6'5" out of Farmington has entered the transfer portal. She is a sophomore.

I assume she would have to wait until next season to play?

🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞
Here’s her tweet mentioned by Mainstreeter.

Attachments

• F7B882B7-A2ED-4BF1-A02C-A3FA3B263B25.jpeg
    F7B882B7-A2ED-4BF1-A02C-A3FA3B263B25.jpeg
    181.1 KB · Views: 40

She was ranked #62 by 2021 ESPN HoopGurlz. Still a young player. A 6' 5" big.

In the 11/20/22 game against UConn she only got 1 minute of playing time. Maybe that's the issue. NC State has lots of good players. She didn't get a lot of minutes in the freshman year.

No idea how she's playing now. I'll look at video later.

On first reaction I would say to run, don't walk, knocking people over to see if she would come to Minnesota.

She may be angling for starter minutes. Minnesota would probably be a time share.

2022 Stats
1669145326574.png

From the school website:

2021-22 (FRESHMAN):

• Played in 20 games in 2021-22 and averaged 1.2 points in 4.4 minutes per outing
  • Knocked down a free throw for first career point in her NC State debut against Wofford; grabbed three offensive rebounds in the fourth quarter of that game
  • Scored season-high five points in five minutes played against Syracuse
  • Played entirety of fourth quarter against Towson and notched first made field goal in that game
  • Made NCAA Tournament debut in Pack’s first-round win over Longwood

PRIOR TO NC STATE:

• No. 40 in the class of 2021 Collegiate Girls Basketball Report rankings and fourth at her position
  • 2021 McDonald's All-America Game Nominee
  • 2020 MGBCA 4A All-State Team
  • 2019 PrepHoops Breakout Player of the Year
  • Three-time All-Conference First Team honoree
  • 2019 Team USA Trials participant
  • Led Farmington to 2020 co-State Championship title
  • Surpassed 1,000 points and rebounds during her high school career

COACH MOORE’S TAKE:
“Sophie is a very skilled post player, which fits well with our four-out, one-in system. She’s a presence on the block on both ends of the court and a force on the boards. Sophie runs the floor well in transition and continues to expand her range. She too is used to playing and winning on a great team.”

I think some of these kids get bad guidance.
Hart was recruited by MN but for some reason she was enamored with NC State, maybe it was there lofty status.. You have to really understand your skill set compared to the team and conference your going to. I think MN would be in the running but not sure, she is a true 5 and you can move Rose to the 4. she belongs in the BIG and to be honest Iowa would be the best spot, learn from Cizano and play with Caitlyn next year.

Do the gophers have a scholarship available for this spring and next fall? We could certainly use her size but not sure she offers enough to the team to risk upsetting the chemistry mid season. She is probably talented enough but that isn't necessarily clear either. If the coaches think she can push to be the starter I would probably add her. What does everyone else think?

I think some of these kids get bad guidance.
Hart was recruited by MN but for some reason she was enamored with NC State, maybe it was there lofty status.. You have to really understand your skill set compared to the team and conference your going to. I think MN would be in the running but not sure, she is a true 5 and you can move Rose to the 4. she belongs in the BIG and to be honest Iowa would be the best spot, learn from Cizano and play with Caitlyn next year.

Looking to the future, it is Minnesota on top, not Iowa.

This week Heyer of Minneaota was Freshman Player of the week. Last week it was Braun of Minnesota Freshman Player of the Week.

Iowa barely won two games and lost another, and Iowa is at the peak of team potential. Next year on is Minnesota stars getting the headlines.

Mara Braun is 2nd in the Big Ten in scoring and just getting started.

Last edited:

Do the gophers have a scholarship available for this spring and next fall? We could certainly use her size but not sure she offers enough to the team to risk upsetting the chemistry mid season. She is probably talented enough but that isn't necessarily clear either. If the coaches think she can push to be the starter I would probably add her. What does everyone else think?
They do have room in terms of scholarships. (currently have 14 on the roster; 12 on scholarship)

At this link fans say they can't blame her for wanting more minutes.

Last edited:

Wonder what schools will show an interest.

Sometimes it's who you are playing behind that moves a player to transfer. If shes sure you can't beat the starter she may have decided to move on.

The Gopher twitter has already started following her, doesnt always mean alot but Id be pretty surprised if they didnt go hard after her. Shes a good player but NC State is a top 5 team in the country and went to the portal this offseason to add a couple really good bigs.

Can she move? Agile? I have never seen her play..
For a 6'5" player she moves well, not sure id call her agile but again for her size she moves well. Was a player that was always gonna need to develop offensively but defense and rebounding she would add something this team doesnt have.

Let’s get her to commit and let’s get her eligible for the 2nd half of the season.

Minnesota has something to offer now that Minnesota did not have back in 2020: The Fab Four Minnesota freshmen and the sophomores. That's an amazing young group with the best years ahead. Plus next year several more wing/guard types coming in.

The 2022 recruiting class for Minnesota was rated the best in the Big Ten by ESPN.

It's going to be a fun and very special time in Minnesota leading to some memorable achievements.

This week Minnesota Gopher Mallory Heyer, a power forward (leaning small forward), won Big Ten Freshman Player of the Week.

Last week a different Minnesota Gopher Mara Braun, a shooting guard, won Big Ten Freshman Player of the Week. That was after Braun made headlines with her high scoring game and epic buzzer beater showing that she really rock star caliber. She is 2nd in the Big Ten in scoring per game behind only Caitlin Clarke.

It's going to be a fun and very special time in Minnesota leading to some memorable achievements.

For the record, I am a fan of Rose Micheaux too. I think there are enough minutes in a 40 minute game to figure something out.

Minnesota currently has an open scholarship correct? I can’t see too many schools having that right now for the second semester.

Minnesota currently has an open scholarship correct? I can’t see too many schools having that right now for the second semester.

I noticed that UConn only carries 12 players, not sure why. I had also noticed some some small schools carry smaller rosters, not sure why but possibly expense savings? On the other hand I just randomly checked some schools: Stanford, Kansas State, and Iowa have all 15 spots filled. Ohio State has one spot open, randomly checking.

Minnesota is by far the best landing spot.

Here is this year's and next year's roster/depth chart for those wondering if Gophers have the scholarships to add Hart.

For the Record, they are going after her and trying to add her.

Attachments

• IMG_3400.jpg
    IMG_3400.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 36

Here is this year's and next year's roster/depth chart for those wondering if Gophers have the scholarships to add Hart.

So that looks like 1 spot open this season and 1 spot open next season. Any transfers out would add to the openings.

The preferred walk on is guaranteed a spot next year, I understand. The walk-on spots that are not preferred walk ons do not have spots held for them, I understand.

Last edited:

So that looks like 1 spot open this season and 1 spot open next season. Any transfers out would add to the openings.

The preferred walk on is guaranteed a spot next year, I understand. The walk-on spots that are not preferred walk ons do not have spots held for them, I understand.
3 scholarships available this year, 2 next year, walkons dont matter, can have as many of them as they want.

Let’s make it happen Whalen. Post play is the biggest downfall of her teams, it’s time to turn that around.

Top Bottom