Something you Like that Everyone Hates

I've officiated four weddings and like everyone else, have been to many others. The most fun was had (not counting my own) was at the one that got canceled. We all just went to Nyes and got drunk. Way easier.

It wasn't very Wes Anderson like though...
Hey! We went to Nye's on my wedding day too! Though mine didn't get cancelled. The wedding party stopped for a bump at Nye's between the ceremony and reception.

Hey! We went to Nye's on my wedding day too! Though mine didn't get cancelled. The wedding party stopped for a bump at Nye's between the ceremony and reception.
We got married on Nicollet Island back in the late 90's. Nyes was mere feet away. Stealing the bride/room was pretty easy as we all ended up at Nyes for a drink.

The canceled wedding wasn't anyone I knew. I was just a guest of a gf. I don't even remember why it didn't happen.

We got married on Nicollet Island back in the late 90's. Nyes was mere feet away. Stealing the bride/room was pretty easy as we all ended up at Nyes for a drink.

The canceled wedding wasn't anyone I knew. I was just a guest of a gf. I don't even remember why it didn't happen.
Nice. We had our reception just down the road at a place along Main -- same block as the Main Theater IIRC. We had a nightcap at Bullwinkle's. It was fun taking all my out-of-town relatives to my favorite college bar -- highlighted by beating them all at bubble hockey IIRC.

Everything in Life Aquatic just hit for me. Murray at his deadpan best, top notch supporting cast, quirky action sequences, unique storyline, and of course all the Bowie songs in Portuguese. My favorite Bowie song is Queen Bitch, so the closing credits sequence nailed it for me.

I need to revisit it, as there was a lot to like about it. Still I would go Top 3

1. The Royal Tenenbaums
2. Moonrise Kingdom
3. Isle of Dogs

Peanut butter on cinnamon rolls.

Nothing like it, especially fresh out of the oven.

As I just heard The Doobie Brothers come across my playlist. . .

Yacht Rock! Inject that sh*t into my veins!!!

Everyone channels a little bit of Michael McDonald when coming into contact with a boat.

highlighted by beating them all at bubble hockey IIRC.

A friend just purchased a new bubble hockey game a few months ago. Just like riding a bike. I won the tourney in dramatic fashion. Probably my greatest skill that only is displayed once in a blue moon.

Doobies in the original version were much more hard-edged. They became a different band when they switched lead singers. Their first 2 albums are really solid rock-n-roll. Saw them live at the old Met Center in '73 or '74.

Do people really hate the Doobies? It's not like you said you like Nickleback. Their best of album is a good listen while cleaning the house.

Nickleback's first three albums were good. And then they decided that their lousiest song, "rockstar" is what they should continue to pursue.

Last edited:

Can someone explain the hatred towards Dave Matthews to me? I'm not saying I like him but also don't understand why many people loath him. One theory I heard is that he's not a very good musician, fills his band with talent, and then takes all the credit. What else am I missing?

Can someone explain the hatred towards Dave Matthews to me? I'm not saying I like him but also don't understand why many people loath him. One theory I heard is that he's not a very good musician, fills his band with talent, and then takes all the credit. What else am I missing?
I have probably only heard a Dave Matthews song all the way through a couple of times. Not my cup of tea for the most part, but I can totally understand why he was so big. Do people actually care if the lead writer, singer can't play the guitar as well as the lead guitarist? Seems like a very weird thing to care about.

Probably because most of his music is bad. It has a very frat boy douche vibe to it. Not to mention the ridiculous sing/scat that he tends to do. Jam bands have always had that kind of off-putting effect. Similar to Nickelback....DMB is "cool to hate".

Doesn't help that DMB is infamous for their poopgate scandal. They were caught dumping their "waste" from their tour bus into the Chicago river in the early 00's. And there was a sightseers boat going under the bridge that they were dumping at when this happened. Yeah....they got splashed.

Lyrics wise....their song 'Crash' is creepy. Almost definitely about a deranged snooper.

Oh and you come crash
into me, baby
And I come into you
Hike up your skirt a little more
and show the world to me
and show your world to me
In a boys dream... In a boys dream

Not exactly cool. Kind of like Third Eye Blind's "Semi-Charmed Life", a song about doing speed and nailing hookers, the song was massively popular because people didn't notice the lyrics.

By the way....I'm not trying to dunk 3EB. That debut album is great.

I have probably only heard a Dave Matthews song all the way through a couple of times. Not my cup of tea for the most part, but I can totally understand why he was so big. Do people actually care if the lead writer, singer can't play the guitar as well as the lead guitarist? Seems like a very weird thing to care about.
Yeah, I don't know. Just remember hearing that once. But isn't that pretty much what Bruce Springsteen did too, and people love him.

Probably because most of his music is bad. It has a very frat boy douche vibe to it. Not to mention the ridiculous sing/scat that he tends to do. Jam bands have always had that kind of off-putting effect. Similar to Nickelback....DMB is "cool to hate".

Doesn't help that DMB is infamous for their poopgate scandal. They were caught dumping their "waste" from their tour bus into the Chicago river in the early 00's. And there was a sightseers boat going under the bridge that they were dumping at when this happened. Yeah....they got splashed.

Lyrics wise....their song 'Crash' is creepy. Almost definitely about a deranged snooper.

Oh and you come crash
into me, baby
And I come into you
and show the world to me
and show your world to me
In a boys dream... In a boys dream

Not exactly cool. Kind of like Third Eye Blind's "Semi-Charmed Life", a song about doing speed and nailing hookers, the song was massively popular because people didn't notice the lyrics.

By the way....I'm not trying to dunk 3EB. That debut album is great.
People already hated him before the poop thing, but it certainly didn't help. Yeah, probably one of those "love to hate" things. Just wondering if there's something I'm missing, because DMB doesn't sound terrible to me. Certainly better than Jack Johnson or John Mayer that people seem to like. I remember some people being REALLY into him. So maybe that's it, DMB fans are simply obnoxious.

Top Bottom