Something you Like that Everyone Hates

WilliamsArenaGuy

Reaction score
Comments in the other thread made me think to start this one.

I like the Eagles. I don't care what you say. In fact, I love most of their songs. They're great.

I said it.

Also Coldplay. Not everyone hates them, but they sure take a lot of crap, and I don't get it. Their entire library is excellent. Much deeper than the singles you may know. In addition, they put on one of the best live shows I've ever seen. You get your money's worth and then some.

So there.

I like the Eagles. I don't care what you say. In fact, I love most of their songs. They're great.

I said it.

Also Coldplay. Not everyone hates them, but they sure take a lot of crap, and I don't get it. Their entire library is excellent. Much deeper than the singles you may know. In addition, they put on one of the best live shows I've ever seen. You get your money's worth and then some.

So there.
I don’t really get the hate for Coldplay-they’re not a band that I have ever paid much attention to, but Clocks is a great radio rock song, the La Vida song is pretty good, the song from the Garden State soundtrack was enjoyable. Yeah, I don’t get the scorn. Maybe it’s Gwenyth Paltrow related 😉

As for The Eagles, similar feelings to you. Take It Easy is an all time sing a long song, I believe I have heard Hotel California more than any pop song and still am not sick of it, really I’m cool with the whole catalog plus the solo work of Frey, Henley, Walsh. I would take Fleetwood Mac over them though 😉

This thread poses a tougher question than the reverse one of the other thread because it's tough to find something popular that "everybody hates." It's sort of like Yogi Berra's famous oxymoronic quote: "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded." Perhaps an easier question would be "Who or what do you like that seems under appreciated?"

As far as the Eagles, I think, like many other very popular artists, that they suffered from overexposure. About 10 years ago, I was looking at the songs on an Eagles' greatest hits album and thinking to myself that I might have liked more of these had I not heard them a thousand times. I was a younger teenager when I heard their first single that registered with me (Witchy Woman). I liked the song at the time but I never realized how much I would hear this band everywhere for the rest of my life.

This is very dependent on the choice and quality, but I enjoy airline meals-when we lived in Bangladesh, we often flew Emirates, Thai, and Singapore airlines and their food was often top notch (when I was once bumped into 1st class with Emirates, I enjoyed a meal that rivaled a fine restaurant meal).

The flights between US and Peru don’t typically measure up in quality, but can still be enjoyable, or at least parts of the meal.
I think a big part of the enjoyment is how it’s wrapped together with the flight-you’re headed somewhere, most often on vacation( for me), so the anticipation makes the food taste better.

This thread poses a tougher question than the reverse one of the other thread because it's tough to find something popular that "everybody hates." It's sort of like Yogi Berra's famous oxymoronic quote: "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded." Perhaps an easier question would be "Who or what do you like that seems under appreciated?"

As far as the Eagles, I think, like many other very popular artists, that they suffered from overexposure. About 10 years ago, I was looking at the songs on an Eagles' greatest hits album and thinking to myself that I might have liked more of these had I not heard them a thousand times. I was a younger teenager when I heard their first single that registered with me (Witchy Woman). I liked the song at the time but I never realized how much I would hear this band everywhere for the rest of my life.
Yeah, I thought of that but was trying to be consistent with the title of the other thread. By “everybody hates“ I was thinking of things that have become cool to hate or get repeated often in popular culture. In the case of the two I chose, they were both scorned in popular movies that a lot of people remember: Eagles in the Big Lebowski and Coldplay in the 40 Year Old Virgin.

I don’t really get the hate for Coldplay-they’re not a band that I have ever paid much attention to, but Clocks is a great radio rock song, the La Vida song is pretty good, the song from the Garden State soundtrack was enjoyable. Yeah, I don’t get the scorn. Maybe it’s Gwenyth Paltrow related 😉

As for The Eagles, similar feelings to you. Take It Easy is an all time sing a long song, I believe I have heard Hotel California more than any pop song and still am not sick of it, really I’m cool with the whole catalog plus the solo work of Frey, Henley, Walsh. I would take Fleetwood Mac over them though 😉
I like the solo work too. Good point. With my age and exposure growing up, I think I actually knew Don Henley and liked him first. So when I found out he was in the Eagles, I though that was way cool. Fleetwood Mac still sucks though. 😜

I said it.

I dig Joe Walsh, so that alone is enough for me to not "hate" the Eagles. A friend had an extra ticket so I went to the Target Field show they played with Jimmy Buffet. I thought Walsh's songs were the highlights for me. Vince Gill was more than adequate handling the Glenn Frey numbers, really impressive.

Something I like which everyone hates, hmmm...at least within the Gopherhole community, I will say: Patrick Reusse.

I always enjoy his columns, radio shows, tweets, humor, Turkey of the Year, and arguments with Sid. Quite frankly how easily he gets under GHers skin makes me enjoy him all the more.

Lutefisk

(Had no idea Eagles were hated. How is that possible - my world no longer makes sense. Fortunately still have lutefisk.)

Yeah, I thought of that but was trying to be consistent with the title of the other thread. By “everybody hates“ I was thinking of things that have become cool to hate or get repeated often in popular culture. In the case of the two I chose, they were both scorned in popular movies that a lot of people remember: Eagles in the Big Lebowski and Coldplay in the 40 Year Old Virgin.

Yes, but there are people who will profess to hate anything that is popular almost on principle. Their numbers are limited, though.

As I mentioned before, I'm not a fan of the Eagles but I'm also not a big fan of the Big Lebowski. I did chuckle during that particular cab ride scene but I've never understood the reverence for the movie.

I'm still trying to think of a good example of an answer to the question of this thread. One thing that may come close: 70s disco. Although popular at the time, it was still broadly maligned by a large part of the population, including me. When I hear it now, though, I feel it has aged very well.

Something I like which everyone hates, hmmm...at least within the Gopherhole community, I will say: Patrick Reusse.

That's a great response to a tough question but it leads me to another question: Do people hate Patrick Reusse or is he a media figure that people "love to hate?" There's a bit of a difference.

Yes, but there are people who will profess to hate anything that is popular almost on principle. Their numbers are limited, though.

As I mentioned before, I'm not a fan of the Eagles but I'm also not a big fan of the Big Lebowski. I did chuckle during that particular cab ride scene but I've never understood the reverence for the movie.

I'm still trying to think of a good example of an answer to the question of this thread. One thing that may come close: 70s disco. Although popular at the time, it was still broadly maligned by a large part of the population, including me. When I hear it now, though, I feel it has aged very well.

100% on disco. BeeGees, as well as Eagles for that matter, dont have a bad song in their repertoire. Very few can claim that.

Any Wes Anderson fans here? I love Life Aquatic, favorite of his films. But many fans consider it his worst.

Head cheese. Greatest football snack since pickled herring and blood sausage.

Any Wes Anderson fans here? I love Life Aquatic, favorite of his films. But many fans consider it his worst.

Big fan. Hugely.

Saying that, Life Aquatic is probably my least favorite of his. Still liked it though. Hotel Chavalier/Darjeeling Limited is in a close running for that, but again I liked that one too.

My first was the Royal Tenenbaums. I watched it in French in a hotel room in Montreal. I attributed the quirkiness to a possible bad translator. (Or my skills being not up to snuff). Turns out, it was pretty accurate. Now, I'm a fan.

My first was the Royal Tenenbaums. I watched it in French in a hotel room in Montreal. I attributed the quirkiness to a possible bad translator. (Or my skills being not up to snuff). Turns out, it was pretty accurate. Now, I'm a fan.

For about the first 6 weeks of Covid Lockdown, my wardrobe was exclusively from the Chas/Ari/Uzi Tenenbaum collection. Not joking.

Humidity. I love it when I wake up in the morning, go outside and it feels sticky/summer-like. I love it when I golf. I love it when it is humid and I get to jump in a pool. I get annoyed when people complain about it given how many days we have the alternative.

Humidity. I love it when I wake up in the morning, go outside and it feels sticky/summer-like. I love it when I golf. I love it when it is humid and I get to jump in a pool. I get annoyed when people complain about it given how many days we have the alternative.
I wouldn't say humidity specifically but I like when it's hot out when I go for a jog.

I wish I was in a Wes Anderson right now.
We attended a wedding on the Queen Mary a few years ago. That's as close as I've ever felt to being in a Wes Anderson movie. Everyone was dressed very sharp with a hint of a nautical or '20s theme, art deco decor, the whole experience screamed Wes Anderson. Most fun I've ever had at a wedding.

Big fan. Hugely.

Saying that, Life Aquatic is probably my least favorite of his. Still liked it though. Hotel Chavalier/Darjeeling Limited is in a close running for that, but again I liked that one too.
Everything in Life Aquatic just hit for me. Murray at his deadpan best, top notch supporting cast, quirky action sequences, unique storyline, and of course all the Bowie songs in Portuguese. My favorite Bowie song is Queen Bitch, so the closing credits sequence nailed it for me.

We attended a wedding on the Queen Mary a few years ago. That's as close as I've ever felt to being in a Wes Anderson movie. Everyone was dressed very sharp with a hint of a nautical or '20s theme, art deco decor, the whole experience screamed Wes Anderson. Most fun I've ever had at a wedding.
I've officiated four weddings and like everyone else, have been to many others. The most fun was had (not counting my own) was at the one that got canceled. We all just went to Nyes and got drunk. Way easier.

It wasn't very Wes Anderson like though...

Top Bottom