some small recruiting items

JohnnyGopher

Reaction score
As most already know Tubby was at Apple Valley agains last night to watch 8th grade phenom Tyus Jones, and it sounds like once again he didn't disappoint.

Eastview/Chaska was a big game last night and a kid to watch Sophomore Joey King play for just the second time this year, he had to sit out due to transfer rules, he had 21. For Chaska they kept a little eye on juniors Jake White and Ross Travis. White will see the Gophers play this weekend at Northwestern where he is expecting an offer from the Wildcats. Wisconsin has also been watching him closely. Coach Jirsa earlier attended an Eastview JV game to see King play.

Michigan, while in town to play the Gophers this week, will send several coaches over to Hopkins to watch junior Joe Coleman.

The Gophers we're scouting junior college players a couple weeks ago but we're not watching juco Philipe Martin.

Still scratching my head over the way the gophers recruitment of Chanse Creekmur ended up.

From talking with my buddy up in NoDak, he thinks Joe Hanstad is going to end up at Gonzaga.

Different years, of course, but I'd take 2011's Paul Jesperson over Creekmur.

Last night, Jesperson's team down by 5 at the half... so he steps up, scored 20 in the third... winds up with 37 of his team's 47 for the game.. 12/18 FG (3/6 3FG), 10/11 FT.. as they win the road game. Not to mention 9 boards, a block and a steal.

Anyway, sounds like the young man is coming around a bit.. I think his 'best' offer thus far was ASU.. who obviously 'took a Chanse'... someone to continue to keep an eye on over the next several months or more... hope he gets more and more assertive.

Head scratch

As always, thanks for your post.

I assume from your comment, "Still scratching my head over the way the gophers recruitment of Chanse Creekmur ended up. ", you were expecting Chanse to fall our way ?

Am I correct?

No, he was a strong ASU guy for awhile. The Gophers had very little contact with him after his visit to the Ohio State game and I'm still am not sure why.

I am no expert and defer to JohnnyGopher on all things Gopher recruiting (although I can hold my own with Johnny on 80's/90's metal bands) but I would gather they just lost interest? Hopefully they have another trick up their sleeve (Joseph) otherwise, it is odd to pass on recruiting him after you invite him to a big game.

Johnny & Rouser

Perhaps they saw the ASU handwriting on the wall?

Perhaps they saw the ASU handwriting on the wall?

Perhaps it was the fact that Chase was with someone who was busted with weed, and then the following week failed a UA. At the time he is suspended from the Marshalltown basketball team.

bga1

This year's recruiting is looking BLEAK if Tubby doesn't have something up his sleeve.

Can't argue with that!

Ironically his 2010 class may contribute as much or more than his highly rated 2009 class.

I do like Eliason and Hollins but as others have stated endlessly, 2010 class will look better with Mr. Joseph on board.

Let's not forget that it's basically like this years class was Cobbs and Williams

and

next year's class is Mbakwe, Hollins, Eliason, Dawson, Joseph (possibly), and Royce (possibly)

Perhaps it was the fact that Chase was with someone who was busted with weed, and then the following week failed a UA. At the time he is suspended from the Marshalltown basketball team.

My guess is that with the sagas involving Trevor and Royce, the last thing that Tubby wanted to bring on board was a kid suspended by his high school team for drug activity.

Can't argue with that!

Ironically his 2010 class may contribute as much or more than his highly rated 2009 class.

I do like Eliason and Hollins but as others have stated endlessly, 2010 class will look better with Mr. Joseph on board.

Actually I like both as well. At the time Tubby did the perfect thing, go after a star or two in Barnes and Joseph and a couple of development players such as Eliason and Hollins. Unfortunately the events of this year may or may not put us in dire straits next year unless he closes on Joseph and perhaps a PF that can contribute right away. If White, Mbakwe and Nolen return- it's no issue. Odds are long on that trifecta.

we are due

Actually I like both as well. At the time Tubby did the perfect thing, go after a star or two in Barnes and Joseph and a couple of development players such as Eliason and Hollins. Unfortunately the events of this year may or may not put us in dire straits next year unless he closes on Joseph and perhaps a PF that can contribute right away. If White, Mbakwe and Nolen return- it's no issue. Odds are long on that trifecta.

We are due for some good news and soon I hope.

Hopefully the lads look sharp tomorrow.

Go Gophers!

This year's recruiting is looking BLEAK if Tubby doesn't have something up his sleeve.

Tubby last signed a spring recruit in 2005. He filled his quota in the fall signing period for 2006, 2008, and 2009 classes. His transition from UK to Minnesota precluded any signings in spring of 2007.

But he has signed quality recruits in the spring (2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2004) prior to that.

Considering the vast majority of folks haven't seen either Elliason or Hollins play, stating the recruiting class for this year is "bleak" might be jumping the gun a bit. If your interested in rankings, then yeah, it isn't one of our highest rated groups that's for sure. But I'll hold off on judgment until I actually see these guys on the court.

Darius Smith vs Justin Cobbs. Last year Justin Cobbs was signed when Darius Smith seemed to take too much time deciding if he wanted to play for the Gophers. Smith was rated higher than Cobbs and even had an extra star. So far Cobbs has made a much stronger contribution to Minnesota than Smith has to UConn. I know the explanation is not as simple as just that but neither is it as simple as how many stars a recruit has been given by a scouting service whose main job is to entertain its readers.

Top Bottom