Some good news on the Gopher WBB front

They may not all stay but Mara getting out in front of this and announcing it is great! She will clearly be trying to get the other girls to follow suit…
And it’s not just the freshman….we gotta keep Alanna around as well!
Love Braun taking a leadership role and happy, but not surprised, to hear Whalen is encouraging them to stay.

Very encouraging news. As I've said before, as difficult as the past season was, I felt strongly that great things could be ahead for this year's group of players. And kudos to Mara for getting out in front of this. Love to hear similar news from the others in the group. As many will recall, Whalen herself got out in front of it after Oldfield left after a year. Whalen announced that she was staying and the others followed. Some striking similarities there.

Very encouraging news. As I've said before, as difficult as the past season was, I felt strongly that great things could be ahead for this year's group of players. And kudos to Mara for getting out in front of this. Love to hear similar news from the others in the group. As many will recall, Whalen herself got out in front of it after Oldfield left after a year. Whalen announced that she was staying and the others followed. Some striking similarities.
Can't remember the exact quote but it was something to the effect of last time Whalen looked Oldfield hadn't played any minutes and the players deserve some of the credit for Brenda's accolades.

Not sure if any of these young women are at the point yet, where they could contact any of the incoming recruits, but I'm hoping that someone is corresponding with the recruits in the absence of a coach. After all, for the players that stay, it's now their team. A couple of random things to point out: Nia's mom previously expressed publicly that she was disappointed that Nia would not have the opportunity to play for Coach Whay. That being said, Nia is a big part of the four true frosh that signed to play for the Gophers. I believe Katie B and Czinano are roommates. With Czinano staying, I'm hoping Katie will also decide to stay. Rose is a key 'get' for next year's squad. She gives us a post presence that we haven't had for years. As I recall, Rose designed the warmup t-shirts the Gophers wore for one of their final home games, so she has talents and interests other than basketball here. I believe that Rose also worked closely with Shimmy, and that may also be a factor in her decision. It's looking like Maya's brother who has already graduated will not be back at the U next year. Not sure if that will be a factor or not.

Can't remember the exact quote but it was something to the effect of last time Whalen looked Oldfield hadn't played any minutes and the players deserve some of the credit for Brenda's accolades.
Like I said in a previous thread, the players need to realize they have the power to do this and will be the ones to do this, regardless of who is giving them direction. Now the AD's job is to find the right steward for this ship to ensure the women have what they need to be successful and to put them in positions to be successful.

This program is a sleeping giant! Minneapolis produces some of the best basketball players in the country, the athletes village is top notch and the UofM is an excellent academic institution. With the announcement by Mara, Mallory and others why wouldn’t any coach want to come here and coach these talented players. Coyle needs to open the pocket book and hit a home run here, maybe these girls have seen the list of candidates or have an idea of who might be coming in as they made their announcements to stay committed to the Gophers

Last edited:

Not sure if any of these young women are at the point yet, where they could contact any of the incoming recruits, but I'm hoping that someone is corresponding with the recruits in the absence of a coach. After all, for the players that stay, it's now their team. A couple of random things to point out: Nia's mom previously expressed publicly that she was disappointed that Nia would not have the opportunity to play for Coach Whay. That being said, Nia is a big part of the four true frosh that signed to play for the Gophers. I believe Katie B and Czinano are roommates. With Czinano staying, I'm hoping Katie will also decide to stay. Rose is a key 'get' for next year's squad. She gives us a post presence that we haven't had for years. As I recall, Rose designed the warmup t-shirts the Gophers wore for one of their final home games, so she has talents and interests other than basketball here. I believe that Rose also worked closely with Shimmy, and that may also be a factor in her decision. It's looking like Maya's brother who has already graduated will not be back at the U next year. Not sure if that will be a factor or not.
If memory serves me correctly, after Oldfield left the U for Maryland, Lindsay was reported to have been in touch with incoming recruits and team members encouraging them to come/stay. Perhaps Braun and Heyer will do the same (unless it isn't allowed under current rules).

This is much needed good news !! Hoping these 3 announcing early will set a positive message to the other key players. I would love to keep all of them even it’s not realistic. I hope Rose, Amaya, Nia , Katie, n Sophie r next. So proud of these freshman to stay loyal when the easy thing is to leave. I will be keeping my season tickets to support them !!

Let’s do a grass roots effort to pack the barn opening home game next season…oh and not invite Coyle😉
IN !!!!!!!!!!!! Recruit friends and family. I have found if you can get them to go to the games, get them in the barn they will come back and bring their kids. Lindsey Whalen and Janelle McCarville hooked me and I have been in regular attendance every year since.

This team might be instantly competitive next year.

Not sure if it means anything but Rose shared both posts about Heyer and Braun committing to stay on her instagram story. 🤷🏼‍♀️

My guess is Rose will take her time. See who they hire.

Top Bottom