Some good news on the Gopher WBB front

My guess is Rose will take her time. See who they hire.
I think Battle will do the same. In talking to a few people who know Jamison, when he was recruited out of high school the dad looks at fit with the coach and style of play of the coach and right now with no coach announced yet that is unknown so I think they wait until more facts are known. I could be wrong if her other roommates are all in.

Back: Braun, Heyer, Holloway and Czinano. Off to a good start.
The new coach will decide who is back. With a coach change, player scholarships are only renewed if the new coach wants to renew them. Most coaches transfer a few players from their current team to help set the culture or recruit player to fit their system in order kick start the program.

One thing I've apparently missed is who is in charge of the day to day operations of the basketball program. It appears that the players contact Mark Coyle about their decisions. Does that mean Melissa Maines is contacting recruits?

The new coach will decide who is back. With a coach change, player scholarships are only renewed if the new coach wants to renew them. Most coaches transfer a few players from their current team to help set the culture or recruit player to fit their system in order kick start the program.
Are you sure about that? I thought they signed with the school not the coach. Could you point me to the rule?

One thing I've apparently missed is who is in charge of the day to day operations of the basketball program. It appears that the players contact Mark Coyle about their decisions. Does that mean Melissa Maines is contacting recruits?
I was wondering the same thing. Melissa and the support staff are still listed on the team website.

Are you sure about that? I thought they signed with the school not the coach. Could you point me to the rule?
i agree. No coach is chasing one of these players out of the program day 1. Maybe after 1 year and it not being a good fit, but Coyle is not bringing someone in to blow it up and has likely communicated that to the players already.

This is false. While a basketball scholarship can be pulled, usually it is for discipline reasons or academic reasons. It is extremely rare for a new coach to come in and cut players. Even moreso with the advent of the transfer portal and the relaxed rules. Especially the one free transfer rule, new coaches are struggling with the opposite problem, trying to keep the players that are already there.

This is false. While a basketball scholarship can be pulled, usually it is for discipline reasons or academic reasons. It is extremely rare for a new coach to come in and cut players. Even moreso with the advent of the transfer portal and the relaxed rules. Especially the one free transfer rule, new coaches are struggling with the opposite problem, trying to keep the players that are already there.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the B1G implemented a new SOP under Warren that all scholarships are 4 yrs. They can be removed only for discipline or academic reasons, even athletes that are injured and retire from the sport due to that get to stay on scholarship it is just changed to a non-roster generic scholarship. Now that doesn't mean coaches can't try to run people off with various strategies.

have there been any public comments from next year's recruits - or the incoming transfer player?

from a timing standpoint, the sooner a new coach is named, the better. If Coyle waits until after the NCAA tournament is over, that is a lot of uncertainty for the players to deal with.

Now, it is possible that Coyle has a good idea who the next coach will be, but the deal can't be announced for a while. that wouldn't shock me. But that doesn't help the players with their decisions.

have there been any public comments from next year's recruits - or the incoming transfer player?

from a timing standpoint, the sooner a new coach is named, the better. If Coyle waits until after the NCAA tournament is over, that is a lot of uncertainty for the players to deal with.

Now, it is possible that Coyle has a good idea who the next coach will be, but the deal can't be announced for a while. that wouldn't shock me. But that doesn't help the players with their decisions.
Kennedy Klick is the only one I have seen so far. She is keeping her commitment.

Coyle isn't likely to tell anyone, including current players or signees, who's on his list or who he's going to hire. He doesn't want there to be leaks. That doesn't mean that he can't tell them how important they are to the program, what he's prioritizing in the search or how long he thinks it will be before there's an announcement. He can ask for their trust and patience and tell them that he's confident that they will be pleased when they see the hire. Once there is a hire, it will be up to the new coach to cement those relationships and no one is going to be bound by what they said before they know who the coach will be. That's just as true of an individual who is now saying that she is staying as it is for one who says she wants to wait to see what happens.

Not sure if any of these young women are at the point yet, where they could contact any of the incoming recruits, but I'm hoping that someone is corresponding with the recruits in the absence of a coach. After all, for the players that stay, it's now their team. A couple of random things to point out: Nia's mom previously expressed publicly that she was disappointed that Nia would not have the opportunity to play for Coach Whay. That being said, Nia is a big part of the four true frosh that signed to play for the Gophers. I believe Katie B and Czinano are roommates. With Czinano staying, I'm hoping Katie will also decide to stay. Rose is a key 'get' for next year's squad. She gives us a post presence that we haven't had for years. As I recall, Rose designed the warmup t-shirts the Gophers wore for one of their final home games, so she has talents and interests other than basketball here. I believe that Rose also worked closely with Shimmy, and that may also be a factor in her decision. It's looking like Maya's brother who has already graduated will not be back at the U next year. Not sure if that will be a factor or not.
More than likely, they’re all connected on social media already

Coyle isn't likely to tell anyone, including current players or signees, who's on his list or who he's going to hire. He doesn't want there to be leaks. That doesn't mean that he can't tell them how important they are to the program, what he's prioritizing in the search or how long he thinks it will be before there's an announcement. He can ask for their trust and patience and tell them that he's confident that they will be pleased when they see the hire. Once there is a hire, it will be up to the new coach to cement those relationships and no one is going to be bound by what they said before they know who the coach will be. That's just as true of an individual who is now saying that she is staying as it is for one who says she wants to wait to see what happens.
And the longer Coyle waits, the more likely it is that he is looking at a coach who is still playing in a tournament.

Top Bottom