So are we gonna be Ranked this week?

The Gophers should be ranked this week. At the bottom of the 25, but we should be ranked.

I like having them a little under the radar right now. I'm sure Iowa and Wisconsin, others don't take them that seriously because of Bowling Green.
This. I’m hoping everyone discounts the team until it’s too late.

@RememberMurray why are you so upset about people talking about why the Gophers will or won’t be ranked this week? That seems like a pretty fair topic of discussion on a Gophers football board, doesn’t it?

Uhhhh, no. Not "everyone". Just some folks.

The Gophers just won their fourth straight game and moved into position alone in first place in the B1G West. Some people want to enjoy that. Savor the moment.

But some folks still want to talk about Bowling Green. Not everyone, mind you; just some folks.
The loss to BGSU was basically the first thing mentioned in today's B1G broadcast. Nobody is going to forget about that loss and it's going to impact everything from rankings to bowl placement. Rankers are going to look at Minnesota's record, look at who they lost to, look at BGSU's record, and then leave Minnesota right out of their ranking.

Even if Minnesota wins the West, they probably won't get the rose bowl nod because of that loss. It would go to the second place team in the East.

Also, to say that rankings aren't important is ridiculous. Rankings decide bowl placement. The Rose Bowl gets the highest ranked team in the B1G that doesn't go to the playoff. If Minnesota doesn't pick up a ranking until they beat Iowa, then they have no chance of catching UM, MSU, or tOSU.

"I think a lot of people wrote off the Gophers after the week one loss to Ohio State, but more importantly, when they lost to Bowling Green. You lose your starting running back, Mohammed Ibraham. You lose to a MAC school..." - Start of today's B1G broadcast.

That was the type of loss that should have ended in Sanford's career at Minnesota. If the reason doesn't become obvious until Minnesota gets passed up for a good bowl game then so be it.

Last edited:

Without Bowling Green, we'd be top 20 somewhere with 7-1 record. Although BG is a cautionary tale that carries a lesson - several lessons.

@RememberMurray why are you so upset about people talking about why the Gophers will or won’t be ranked this week? That seems like a pretty fair topic of discussion on a Gophers football board, doesn’t it?

Yes, it does. That's why we're here, discussing it.

The problem seems to be as follows: I have stated my opinion that polls don't matter this early in the season. Key concept: this early in the season.

I am truly sorry if my opinion is a cause for consternation, although I don't know why it would be. It's just an opinion.

Let's be honest, it wasn't that big of a win as Iowa just isn't worthy of the false ranking they got...
Purdue spanked them up and down the field..
talk to me about that if the Gophers beat Iowa which would be hailed as a "signature win" if we can pull it off down in Iowa!!

Without Bowling Green, we'd be top 20 somewhere with 7-1 record. Although BG is a cautionary tale that carries a lesson - several lessons.

Okay; let's dig into the Bowling Green loss, then, and all that it means. Let's do a full-on, no-holds-barred examination of the Bowling Green loss, since it is such a popular topic. After all, we just won our fourth straight B1G game and moved into undisputed first place in the B1G West. That seems like the perfect time to do a deep-dive analysis of the loss to Bowling Green — yet again.

Maybe we can start the all-things-Bowling Green discussion with something you mentioned: What are those "several lessons" that we should take away from the loss to Bowling Green?

Last edited:

I don’t think we’re ranked until after we play and beat Iowa. It’s not only the bad Bowling Green loss, it’s the lack of impressive wins. Our best win at this point is Purdue. You have to stretch to even find the next one, Maryland maybe?

The table is set, and they’re trending in the right direction though. We just have to beat the neighbor rivals to be taken seriously.

Stealth mode and unranked is fine. Clobber Iowa and Wisconsin first. Then,we worry about the final ranking.

We all know that the Bowling Green loss was a real big smudge...I mean Big smudge. Everyone comes back to that terrible loss. Bottom-line is that the Gophers should have played better. That's why the Gophers aren't getting total respect. Bowling Green.
That may true. Who cares if we are ranked anyway? A win at Iowa will erase the BG loss and get us in the 12-15 range. People talking CFP as goal for this program is absurd by the way. Let's win our division, get to the Rose bowl and beat our rivals a couple times and then that fantasy can get some talk.

I don’t think we’re ranked until after we play and beat Iowa. It’s not only the bad Bowling Green loss, it’s the lack of impressive wins. Our best win at this point is Purdue. You have to stretch to even find the next one, Maryland maybe?

The table is set, and they’re trending in the right direction though. We just have to beat the neighbor rivals to be taken seriously.
If you don’t think a 7-2 big ten team is getting ranked this year I don’t know what to tell you.

currently like only 34 teams left with 0, 1, or 2 losses. Some of them have bad losses.

So that loss to Bowling Green has no impact on what bowl we go to?

Delusional.

Win out and no CFP. Win out and no Bowling Green loss, and we have an MSU in the CFP year.

If we win out with two losses, I don't think we could get to the CFP even if that loss was to someone much more respectable. No two-loss team has made it to the CFP. The following teams (outside the Big Ten) have a fair chance of either being undefeated or having only one loss:

Georgia
Alabama
Cincinnati
Oklahoma
Wake Forest
Notre Dame
Oregon

There are a few more outside of the Big Ten who could end the season with one loss.

Why would they take a two-loss Minnesota team over any team above with 0 or 1 losses when they have never done that before? If we did win out with two losses, the likely outcome is that no Big Ten team would make the CFP. We would still make the Rose Bowl if we won out (even with the Bowling Green loss) because the winner of the Big Ten championship gets that bid unless that team is selected for the playoffs.

#9 Iowa losing
#10 Ole Miss losing
#12 KY losing
#17 Pitt losing opens a spot on some voters' ballot
#19 SMU losing opens a spot on some voters' ballot
#20 Penn State losing
#21 San Diego losing opens a spot
#22 Iowa State losing opens a spot
#24 Coastal not looking great might help
#30 UVA lost
#31 Oregon State lost
#32 ASU lost
#33 TX lost
#35 FL lost
#36 UCLA lost

WI might get new votes. Miami might get new votes. Fresno State, Miss State will get new votes
#29 Houston might get new votes beating SMU

#26 Ark, #27 ULL, #28 NCSU, #34 App State won

#37 Gophs move into top 30

Last edited:

I like having them a little under the radar right now. I'm sure Iowa and Wisconsin, others don't take them that seriously because of Bowling Green.

Maybe Iowa or Wisconsin fans don't take them that seriously but I very much doubt that is the case with the coaches of those teams. Many sports fans are simple minded and prone to lazy knee-jerk reactions. Undoubtedly the coaches view Minnesota as a team that played a real clunker early in the season but has dealt with a fair share of adversity and appears to be getting stronger every week. We especially will not be taken lightly by Iowa's coaches as their team appears to be moving in an opposite direction.

#17 Pitt losing opens a spot on some voters' ballot
#19 SMU losing opens a spot on some voters' ballot
#21 San Diego losing opens a spot
#22 Iowa State losing opens a spot
#24 Coastal not looking great might help
#30 UVA lost
#31 Oregon State lost
#32 ASU lost
#33 TX lost
#35 FL lost
#36 UCLA lost

WI might get new votes. Miami might get new votes.
#29 Houston might get new votes beating SMU

#26 Ark, #27 ULL, #28 NCSU, #34 App State won

#37 Gophs move into top 30

I think Wisconsin has a fair shot of being ranked. They've just had two consecutive dominating wins over Big Ten teams who either are, or likely will be, bowl eligible. I think Iowa State probably drops out. Penn State possibly could drop out as well but they have a fair chance of hanging in there. There might be two lower ranked Big Ten teams with three losses

I agree that we'll get more votes but probably not enough to place us in the top 25.

Even if Minnesota wins the West, they probably won't get the rose bowl nod because of that loss. It would go to the second place team in the East.

The loser of the Big Ten championship isn't guaranteed anything. Yes, the BGSU loss was a really bad one but it wasn't the identity of the opponent that made it an eliminator. Virtually everyone regards he Big Ten West as the weaker division. If Ohio State wins the eastern division and the championship, they likely will go to the CFP. Michigan State could have one loss. Why wouldn't the Rose Bowl take Michigan State in that case over Minnesota even if Minnesota's second loss of the season was to a more respectable team?

Vegas analytics love WI...Gophs 2 point dogs to Iowa on neutral

Solution. Beat Illinois. Clean Iowa's clock at Kinnick. Beat Indiana. Really clean Wisconsin's clock at the Bank before a full house and national audience. Upset tOSU or MSU or Michigan in Indy before a national audience.. Then worry about rankings.

My ranking of the Big Ten teams can ONLY be completed when the Big Ten 2021 schedule has been completed. I will look only at the BT wins and losses against other Big Ten Teams.

At the present time all the data is not in and it would be an injustice to all Big Ten teams to do a ranking of BT teams until the data from the entire BT schedule has been fully completed.

The Walrus BIG TEN Rankings (WBTR) have heavy emphasis on the month of November when BT championships are won or lost on the playing fields all across Big Ten Country. The cold winds…the rain, sleet and snow and the way the ball bounces will factor in heavily as the Big Ten Season shows us all the natural and final order of the 2021 BT Football Season!

Okay; let's dig into the Bowling Green loss, then, and all that it means. Let's do a full-on, no-holds-barred examination of the Bowling Green loss, since it is such a popular topic. After all, we just won our fourth straight B1G game and moved into undisputed first place in the B1G West. That seems like the perfect time to do a deep-dive analysis of the loss to Bowling Green — yet again.

Maybe we can start the all-things-Bowling Green discussion with something you mentioned: What are those "several lessons" that we should take away from the loss to Bowling Green?
I know I’m not the one that issued the statement but I’d say some of the lessons would be. One, never underestimate an opponent. Two, show some damn diversity in your offensive game plan. If stacking the box and daring you to pass and you try to run and you get stuffed again, again and again it’s time to pass. Three, trust in your Senior QB. Those would be my points but I think Sanford has added more diversity, so maybe it’s been solved. Hey if running the rock is working and they can’t stop you I’m fine with continuing to run, it’s just when it’s not change it up.

Wisconsin will be ranked they beat #9.
and lost to PSU Norte Dame and Michigan.

We will not be ranked. Yet.
If we destroy Illinois next week maybe we get ranked. If we win the next two, we should definitely get ranked. Might have happened earlier but for the game whose name we must not say.

more Fresno State love from Nevada voter...also Arkansas, Houston added to his top 25

Stealth mode and unranked is fine. Clobber Iowa and Wisconsin first. Then,we worry about the final ranking.
If someone said at the beginning of the season that we will only win 2 of the games against BG, WI and IA, I think we’d all come up with same answer.

Let’s get it done, gentlemen!

Top Bottom