Smith vs. DeChellis

skoalvikings

Reaction score
Since Tubby Smith arrived at Minnesota, he has 32 Big Ten regular season conference wins (never over .500). During that same time period, Ed DeChellis has 28 Big Ten regular season conference wins (one season over .500). Smith has two NCAA appearances, both losses. (Left out of the discussion: Penn State's NIT title and Tubby's excellent record against a crappy non-conference slate.)

Best guess on salary (as far as I can tell, this would include base and other regular compensation):
Smith: 1.8 million
DeChellis: 650K

Rivals 2011 recruiting:
Smith: 2 at 3 stars
DeChellis: 2 at 3 stars and 1 at 2 stars

With the talk of a Tubby extension in the works, I am having a hard time being convinced that spending nearly 2 million for very average results is worth it. Of course, Tubby's teams have been hampered by key injuries; these kinds of injuries don't happen in other basketball programs.

Minnesota's average attendance: 14,000
PSU's average attendance: 1,400

If Tubby continues to churn out a bunch of seasons in the 7-9 win range, what will happen to total attendance? I'm guessing the number of non-renewals for next year will be much higher than it has been the last year or two.

If Tubby continues to churn out a bunch of seasons in the 7-9 win range, what will happen to total attendance? I'm guessing the number of non-renewals for next year will be much higher than it has been the last year or two.

and if every seat in the lower deck with a seatback has an extra $700.00 charge .. er donation, ontop of it , watch the decline then.

but how many of dechellis' wins are vs. iowa? we need to take those out of the equation.

Joe Paterno will make double what Jerry Kill will make. It's possible this season they will win the same number of games. Therefore, Jerry Kill >>>> Joe Paterno. This discussion is exciting and relavent. Also, Joel Maturi has the most wins per budget dollar of any school in the Big 10, therefore he is the best AD in the Big 10.

Joe Paterno will make double what Jerry Kill will make.

Um, no.

Jerry Kill and Joe Paterno make roughly the same amount of money.

Don't let facts get in the way of your anti-Joel Maturi rant, though!

Hey, at least you didn't use some variation of the word "dither" in your post. One step at a time, I guess.

Um, no.

Jerry Kill and Joe Paterno make roughly the same amount of money.

Don't let facts get in the way of your anti-Joel Maturi rant, though!

Hey, at least you didn't use some variation of the word "dither" in your post. One step at a time, I guess.

When all compensation is considered, I find that difficult to believe, but if you say so. Jo Pa is under-paid then. My point was not about Joel Maturi but rather how silly it is to prefer DeChellis simply because he's cheaper. But don't let that get in the way of an attempt to bash me.

Since Tubby Smith arrived at Minnesota, he has 32 Big Ten regular season conference wins (never over .500). During that same time period, Ed DeChellis has 28 Big Ten regular season conference wins (one season over .500). Smith has two NCAA appearances, both losses. (Left out of the discussion: Penn State's NIT title and Tubby's excellent record against a crappy non-conference slate.)

Best guess on salary (as far as I can tell, this would include base and other regular compensation):

Rivals 2011 recruiting:

With the talk of a Tubby extension in the works, I am having a hard time being convinced that spending nearly 2 million for very average results is worth it. Of course, Tubby's teams have been hampered by key injuries; these kinds of injuries don't happen in other basketball programs.

You lost all credibility when you try to compare Tubby and DeChellis. Tubby has a ring, has won numerous conference titles and championships. Has several players playing in the NBA to boot. Tubby's worth every penny.

I suggest you try using another analogy cause that ain't working.

I'd be happy with a Tubby extension if the wording when something like this:

“Here’s your new contract extension. Base salary of $1M with a $2M bonus for being the big10 regular season champions, a $1M bonus for each NCAA tournament victory, and $250k penalty for losses to Indiana, Northwestern and Penn State. Now go perform.”

When all compensation is considered, I find that difficult to believe, but if you say so. Jo Pa is under-paid then. My point was not about Joel Maturi but rather how silly it is to prefer DeChellis simply because he's cheaper. But don't let that get in the way of an attempt to bash me.

Yes, Paterno is drastically underpaid when the market for BCS head coaches, his longevity, and his success are taken into account - this despite his pay having doubled in the last 3 years or so. I thought that was pretty common knowledge. However, I do prefer to know what I'm talking about before opening my mouth, but I guess that's just me.

You must've taken me off ignore, huh?

I'd be happy with a Tubby extension if the wording when something like this:

“Here’s your new contract extension. Base salary of $1M with a $2M bonus for being the big10 regular season champions, a $1M bonus for each NCAA tournament victory, and $250k penalty for losses to Indiana, Northwestern and Penn State. Now go perform.”

If you want him to not sign the extension, by all means present that nonsense to him.

Rivals 2011 recruiting:

You can beat this dead horse until you are blue in the face...it still wont change who our coach is or how our team performed this year. Tubby aint going nowhere!

You lost all credibility when you try to compare Tubby and DeChellis. Tubby has a ring, has won numerous conference titles and championships. Has several players playing in the NBA to boot. Tubby's worth every penny.

I suggest you try using another analogy cause that ain't working.

Yes, the ring, the numerous conference titles and championships were really quite a hoot for all of us Gopher fans. I'll never forget where I was the day that Tayshaun Prince was drafted with the 23rd pick in the first round of the 2002 draft. How could I be so ungrateful. Thank you Tubby!

Yes, the ring, the numerous conference titles and championships were really quite a hoot for all of us Gopher fans. I'll never forget where I was the day that Tayshaun Prince was drafted with the 23rd pick in the first round of the 2002 draft. How could I be so ungrateful. Thank you Tubby!

Tim Miles and Flip Saunders will be 100% locks to have great success at Minnesota. There is zero chance that either of them will fail in spectacular fashion. We would be far better off to fire Tubby now and hire whichever of them will come running first. (Nevermind that Flip will cost as much as Tubby.)

Well resumes do count for something. If you have nothing on your resume, you'll get paid like an entry level employee. Doesn't matter the job. Just cause Tubby didn't do anything for the Gophers before he came, you claim he should be paid as an entry level coach, which is just laughable and not worthy of a discussion.

Tim Miles and Flip Saunders will be 100% locks to have great success at Minnesota. There is zero chance that either of them will fail in spectacular fashion. We would be far better off to fire Tubby now and hire whichever of them will come running first. (Nevermind that Flip will cost as much as Tubby.)

How is one 100% guaranteed to have success at any job?? I'm not sure how anyone can predict that. If you can, you should play the lottery and let me pool with you.

Well resumes do count for something. If you have nothing on your resume, you'll get paid like an entry level employee. Doesn't matter the job. Just cause Tubby didn't do anything for the Gophers before he came, you claim he should be paid as an entry level coach, which is just laughable and not worthy of a discussion.

Not my argument at all. I understand why Tubby gets paid what he gets paid. My argument is that the results the program is getting aren't worth the 1.8 million. When considering whether or not to offer the next contract, it's probably more important to think about the last four years rather than the 10 years before that. Time to move on and hope the next guy works out. Ideally, the next guy will be picked by someone with a bit more competence than the current AD.

LOL

Rivals 2011 recruiting:

I can't believe how many people panic over one underperfoming season. Did this year suck? Yes. And if it happens again next year, I think Tubby belongs on a very hot seat. However, it is tough for a rational person to look at Penn State and Minnesota over the past four years and conclude that PSU's program is in better shape than Minnesota. As for the salary discrepancy, very few were complaining too loudly about Tubby's salary going into this season. Calm down.

Hates Monikers: "Calm down."

How dare you try stop some of us from having fun here by asking people to Calm down.

Haha, Tubby's crappy non conferenc schedule?? Prior to this year Penn State played a joke of a schedule. This year they stumbled into a decent non conference schedule including a loss at Maine. DeChellis hasn't touched Tubby's success.

How is one 100% guaranteed to have success at any job?? I'm not sure how anyone can predict that. If you can, you should play the lottery and let me pool with you.

Good lord. Could people really not tell that was sarcasm?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem with this that everyone seems to overlook is that most of what you mentioned happened somewhere else years ago.
It assumes that because Tubby once had some success at UK that it translates to automatic success at Minn.
So far he has not had that same success. He has not finished in the top 3 in the BIG 10 and has 0 NCAA or NIT wins.
He is now in year 4. Once problem I always hear is "give Tubby time and a chance" how long does he need?
Most coaches are well on their way by year 4. If I came on this board during Tubby's 1st year at Minn and told you that by year 4 he would lose 9 out of his last 10 games and not make the NCAA I would have been laughed out of here.
I can promise you this. It could be year 10 for Tubby at Minn and if things were no better there would be someone saying
" give Tubby a chance, next year will be better"
This year, with his salary his wins cost $105, 000 each.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The problem with this that everyone seems to overlook is that most of what you mentioned happened somewhere else years ago.
It assumes that because Tubby once had some success at UK that it translates to automatic success at Minn.
So far he has not had that same success. He has not finished in the top 3 in the BIG 10 and has 0 NCAA or NIT wins.
He is now in year 4. Once problem I always hear is "give Tubby time and a chance" how long does he need?
Most coaches are well on their way by year 4. If I came on this board during Tubby's 1st year at Minn and told you that by year 4 he would lose 9 out of his last 10 games and not make the NCAA I would have been laughed out of here.
I can promise you this. It could be year 10 for Tubby at Minn and if things were no better there would be someone saying

What's your agenda?

Tubby had success at Tulsa (back-2-back Sweet 16's - never been done there, before or since) and Georgia (school record 24 W, back-2-back 20+ W seasons, etc) too.

You may not be aware but the Gophers lost their top rated freshman recruit, starting PG, and back-up PG/SG in December and January.

Take away T Jones, B Knight, and D Lamb from UK this year. Calipari lost 5 of 10 in January WITH them healthy and playing in the lineup.

Top Bottom