Six new AAU schools...

ASU wrestles, plays hockey, outdrew an NFL team for 15 years before it had a series of unfortunate coaches and mediocrity, and is a top 25 team in terms of winning percentage with a National Championship they could claim but don't.

Since geography no longer matters, and half the city of Phoenix is from the midwest anyway, it seems like it might be a good fit. In fact, since it's had the AAU door closed for a long time because of its low general college admission standards (which is deliberate), I'd almost think someone was kind of clearing the path.

The Pac 12 without USC and UCLA seems hollow, so at this point I'd prefer a B1G invite. Though my real preference would be a full merge, excluding Oregon State and Washington State. We're heading for semi pro stuff anyway, so you might as well start hitting all the major cities out west. That adds Phoenix, the Bay Area, Seattle, Denver, Portland, Salt Lake and Tucson.

I don't think it would either. But market size might, with hockey just the icing on the cake. It's a really large school.
Maybe it will make it easier to make them an affiliate member, at a minimum?

Arizona State is trying to shed its "party school" reputation and it seems they are succeeding in that. Maybe this signals the next move in that quest.

I think Arizona state being added to the list means they pass Arizona now.
Whereas Arizona state Vs Arizona was debatable before.

Big 28

West
USC
UCLA
Washington
Oregon
Arizona state
Colorado
Utah

Central
Minnesota
Nebraska
Iowa
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Michigan
Michigan state

East
Ohio state
Penn state
Indiana
Purdue
Rutgers
Illinois
Notre Dame

Atlantic
Maryland
Virginia
Georgia tech
Florida state
Maryland
North Carolina
Duke or Boston college or Miami

That conference is 312 electoral votes.
If you take Boston college and include New York it’s 351 electoral votes.
That’s also a contiguous conference.
Play your division.
Play 10 conference games (6 division, 4 from other division, option to lock one of those 4 with a team of your choose if both parties agree….
Notre dame - USC
Illinois - Northwestern
Colorado - Nebraska

I think if there is an expansion involving the ACC that’s where it ends up some day.

Big 28

West
USC
UCLA
Washington
Oregon
Arizona state
Colorado
Utah

Central
Minnesota
Nebraska
Iowa
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Michigan
Michigan state

East
Ohio state
Penn state
Indiana
Purdue
Rutgers
Illinois
Notre Dame

Atlantic
Maryland
Virginia
Georgia tech
Florida state
Maryland
North Carolina

Play your division.
Play 10 conference games (6 division, 4 from other division, option to lock one of those 4 with a team of your choose if both parties agree….
Notre dame - USC
Illinois - Northwestern
Colorado - Nebraska

I think if there is an expansion involving the ACC that’s where it ends up some day.
The Atlantic is short as it has Maryland listed twice.

College Football just needs to eliminate conferences and move to a model like the English Soccer League System: from the previous year, put the top 12 teams in one division, the next 12 in the next, and so on. If you finish top 2 in your division, you get promoted to the higher division. If you finish in the bottom 2, you are relegated to the lower division. This way, teams play a full schedule of really good games against teams of their equal caliber, no more of these cupcake games like Ohio State vs. Youngstown State. Winning any level of a division is still a major accomplishment and something the respective fans can get excited about. When you get down to the lowest divisions with schools that don't have the money to travel across the country every game, that's where you use a regionalized divison to save travel costs. The national champion is easy to decide as it is whomever wins the top division - no more endless arguing about a team not getting their shot. Teams could be allowed to schedule a few games outside of their divison to maintain rivalies.

Big 28

West
USC
UCLA
Washington
Oregon
Arizona state
Colorado
Utah

Central
Minnesota
Nebraska
Iowa
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Michigan
Michigan state

East
Ohio state
Penn state
Indiana
Purdue
Rutgers
Illinois
Notre Dame

Atlantic
Maryland
Virginia
Georgia tech
Florida state
Maryland
North Carolina

Play your division.
Notre dame - USC
Illinois - Northwestern
Colorado - Nebraska

I bet they stop at 24.

Arizona State is trying to shed its "party school" reputation and it seems they are succeeding in that. Maybe this signals the next move in that quest.
Why not both?? Partying is for undergrads.

Research is done by graduate students, who are very largely foreigners in STEM fields. Very few American college grads want to go into graduate school, for whatever reasons.

College Football just needs to eliminate conferences and move to a model like the English Soccer League System: from the previous year, put the top 12 teams in one division, the next 12 in the next, and so on. If you finish top 2 in your division, you get promoted to the higher division. If you finish in the bottom 2, you are relegated to the lower division. This way, teams play a full schedule of really good games against teams of their equal caliber, no more of these cupcake games like Ohio State vs. Youngstown State. Winning any level of a division is still a major accomplishment and something the respective fans can get excited about. When you get down to the lowest divisions with schools that don't have the money to travel across the country every game, that's where you use a regionalized divison to save travel costs. The national champion is easy to decide as it is whomever wins the top division - no more endless arguing about a team not getting their shot. Teams could be allowed to schedule a few games outside of their divison to maintain rivalies.
Good thought but nothing close to the European soccer model would ever get started today.

Business owners wouldn’t sign up for that due to the lack of security

I bet they stop at 24.
I thought they’d stop at 12.

Honestly I don’t get how adding more pieces adds more revenue per team.
The big ten should bid to buy the ACC, pac 12 and Big 12 TV rights. Bid slightly more than the networks.

They should then package them with big ten games and resell

University of South Florida (USF) is now AAU, as is Arizona State. Good. Shows a commitment to an upgraded academic profile for each. So, why did Nebraska drop out of (or get dropped by) the AAU after it joined the B1G. Nebraska kind of stands out as the only B1G member that is not AAU.

University of South Florida (USF) is now AAU, as is Arizona State. Good. Shows a commitment to an upgraded academic profile for each. So, why did Nebraska drop out of (or get dropped by) the AAU after it joined the B1G. Nebraska kind of stands out as the only B1G member that is not AAU.
Nowledge is good.

Nebraska had come under some scrutiny by the late 1990s since, by Perlman’s own admission, Nebraska was at a disadvantage by not having its medical school on campus, but rather based in Omaha and under a different administrative flag in the system.

It had to do with the Medical School being separate from the main university and agricultural research not counting toward AAU membership (not that it's not important, because it is).

It had to do with the Medical School being separate from the main university and agricultural research not counting toward AAU membership (not that it's not important, because it is).
Correct, as far as I understand.

The USDA gives roughly the same research dollars to each state's agriculture research university or universities. The southern states often have two per state, as there is an HBCU that is a land-grant for service that mission.

Six Leading Research Universities Join the Association of American Universities

Two notable names on this list. Notre Dame (well, well) and Arizona State.
Would the B1G consider wooing ASU now? Huge market, has a hockey team, and now an AAU member.
Six "leading"

Here's the actual list ranking schools by how much they spend on research from federal grants (also broken out by federal agency). https://ncses.nsf.gov/pubs/nsf23304/assets/data-tables/tables/nsf23304-tab026.pdf That's the latest data which is FY2021.

Doesn't really make sense to include South Florida, but not Florida State. Arizona State, but not Colorado State. And so on.

Though granted as you note above, they have some kind of internal ranking/weighting system that places vastly higher importance/weight on medical research and disavows agriculture research. So ag schools have a much lower chance of getting in.

Iowa State voluntarily left recently, rather than face Nebraska's fate.

Last edited:

Six Leading Research Universities Join the Association of American Universities

Two notable names on this list. Notre Dame (well, well) and Arizona State.
Would the B1G consider wooing ASU now? Huge market, has a hockey team, and now an AAU member.

I think the one direction that we haven't looked at is the Big Ten's potential desire to get access to the Florida market and it you didn't look at the whole list, then you missed that Miami is one of the six as well. Miami is on the upswing in football and both their men"s and women's basketball teams are doing really well.

So, I saw on YouTube that one of the college football podcasters "The Voice of College Football" (Mark Rogers) was doing a Deep Dive on this recent AAU Status announcement. I don't typically watch his stuff much, but I was curious about the topic. He had a consultant on his show that was well versed in the AAU process and also the financials of the Power 5 programs. To say they got into the weeds on the how the AAU interrelates with Power 5 football and all the financials is an understatement. So, if you like to geek out on all the numbers, take a look at the link: AAU Status Deep Dive

I think the one direction that we haven't looked at is the Big Ten's potential desire to get access to the Florida market and it you didn't look at the whole list, then you missed that Miami is one of the six as well. Miami is on the upswing in football and both their men"s and women's basketball teams are doing really well.

So, I saw on YouTube that one of the college football podcasters "The Voice of College Football" (Mark Rogers) was doing a Deep Dive on this recent AAU Status announcement. I don't typically watch his stuff much, but I was curious about the topic. He had a consultant on his show that was well versed in the AAU process and also the financials of the Power 5 programs. To say they got into the weeds on the how the AAU interrelates with Power 5 football and all the financials is an understatement. So, if you like to geek out on all the numbers, take a look at the link: AAU Status Deep Dive
University of Florida is AAU, I believe, and a pretty decent university.

University of Florida is AAU, I believe, and a pretty decent university.
Univ of Florida is a good school. The only other SEC members are Texas A&M and Vande. Texas will be the 4th starting next year.

Univ of Florida is a good school. The only other SEC members are Texas A&M and Vande. Texas will be the 4th starting next year.
Really don't see B1G going into the SE. I think they would go after Texas before any school in the SE. Neither is not likely to happen, IMHO.

ACC schools are the targets, for the future.

If the cards fell right, Georgia Tech would absolutely be on the table. But I think they'd prefer others first.

ACC schools are the targets, for the future.

If the cards fell right, Georgia Tech would absolutely be on the table. But I think they'd prefer others first.
Very doubtful for B1G.

ASU announced Recently that they will be opening their own medical school. Right now medical school enrollees at ASU are part of the AU medical school.
That might have been what got them AAU acceptance.

Top Bottom