Sinclair(Bally's Sport) nearing a deal for NBA streaming rights for direct to consumer offering

howeda7

Reaction score
Also interesting that DirecTV is "separated" from AT&T. When I log into my DirecTV account, I still end up on AT&T.

Iceland12

Reaction score
Because people in the city who don't like the local cable company can go to...DirecTV or Dishnetwork. There's no monopoly there.

Currently, if you don't have cable access or broadband internet, your only options are DirecTV or Dish Network. Allowing them to merge leaves you with literally only one choice.

Think that Hughes Net and Viasat offer that too.

Either way, looking at the 38m subscribers Dish and DirecTV in 2017 down to the 23m now, it's hard to make the argument that they are going be viable competitors if things continue as is. Particularly if the FCC takes a serious look at what the content providers are doing.

That's were the monopoly currently sits.

Iceland12

Reaction score
Also interesting that DirecTV is "separated" from AT&T. When I log into my DirecTV account, I still end up on AT&T.

howeda7

Reaction score
They're sure taking their time getting things fully separated then...It's the same dumb loop login it's been for years.

howeda7

Reaction score
Think that Hughes Net and Viasat offer that too.
I'm not sure I follow? What do they offer? Hughesnet and Viasat both suck. They're expensive and barely have speeds capable of supporting Hulu/YouTube.

Either way, looking at the 38m subscribers Dish and DirecTV in 2017 down to the 23m now, it's hard to make the argument that they are going be viable competitors if things continue as is. Particularly if the FCC takes a serious look at what the content providers are doing.

That's were the monopoly currently sits.
We're probably 2-3 years away from having nearly universal broadband coverage. I'd hold them off until then.

Gophers_4life

Reaction score
Lot of good points.

I think rural folks would voluntarily choose a Direc/Dish monopoly over a defunct company.

But yeah, fiber to the home should be the same thing as getting electricity to everyone's home. It's fairly near the same level of necessity in this day and age, if you want to be competitive on the job marketplace working from home and so on.

Iceland12

Reaction score
I'm not sure I follow? What do they offer? Hughesnet and Viasat both suck. They're expensive and barely have speeds capable of supporting Hulu/YouTube.

We're probably 2-3 years away from having nearly universal broadband coverage. I'd hold them off until then.

Because people in the city who don't like the local cable company can go to...DirecTV or Dishnetwork. There's no monopoly there.

Currently, if you don't have cable access or broadband internet, your only options are DirecTV or Dish Network. Allowing them to merge leaves you with literally only one choice.

No you don't follow. You should run that by a guy named.. howeda7.

Back in Post #30 he said that Dish and DirecTV were the only options. They aren't.

howeda7

Reaction score
No you don't follow. You should run that by a guy named.. howeda7.

Back in Post #30 he said that Dish and DirecTV were the only options. They aren't.
They're the only options for people without high speed internet. Satellite internet doesn't qualify as high speed internet IMO.

Top Bottom