Silly question: Is there any chance at all that Brewster...

That offense was good but only consistent against poor defenders. Does no one remember the record lead we blew in some bowl game because we could not get a first down when it counted. The entire second half?

That offense was good but only consistent against poor defenders. Does no one remember the record lead we blew in some bowl game because we could not get a first down when it counted. The entire second half?

Do you mean the one where the offense scored 41 points in???

The pain of lossing a job

Or anything else for that matter can cause good people to do odd, even really stupid things. I for one am about second chances. One element that I admired about Mason was his policy to keep (try to keep) one member from the previous coaching staff. I think Shaw could coach the big uglies as well as the lessor sized faster uglies.

If he could humble himself to coach under the inexperienced guy who let him go once before, I think he's got the skill to coach-up any type of o-line.

The high school football coaches here in Minnesota that I know have a similar high regard for Gordie.

Not only was he a great offensive/OL coach, but he was (and I am sure still is) an equally great guy.

I'm not sure where the negative stuff originated?

Opposite side of single demention offense

When a team gets outcoached at halftime, and no new options are identified to exploit the other team's first-half adjustment, there will be less success in the second half.

When the team gets used to that pattern, the result is a team that packs it up with time remaining on the clock. That results in great comebacks.

I hope that Brewster figures out how to get his teams ready for the 1st quarter soon, because I've come to expect that the second-half Gophers will be better than the first half Gophers. I don't think that not being ready (particularly on offense) to play immediately is a necessary element for this team to continue stronger play in the second half relative to the first half.

Good defenses shut our running game down, especially late in games. If the Gophers could have run for 7 or 8 crucial first downs in 2004-2006 they would have won 7 or 8 more games and Mason and his whole crew would still be here. Don't talk like that was the world's greatest running game. Looked good against the directional schools though.

I don't think it has anything to do with pride. Those are not the guys that we want as coach's on this team. Shaw was in charge of the State of Minnesota for recruiting. That staff could not get any of the top Minnesota players to stay home. Yes several turned out good, but they were not the top rated kids in High School. Why is it, no one from Minnesota even contacted Sam Maresh under the Mason regime? Judd can get it done, just needs to fine tune his system to the talent that we have and give the kids time to learn his system.

"When a team gets outcoached at halftime, and no new options are identified to exploit the other team's first-half adjustment, there will be less success in the second half."

That also unfortunately identified Mason's team to a "T". Once the the other team made halftime adjustments to the run his teams folded, never to make a Second Half comeback.

Defensively they just never got it period. Maybe the unending string of Defensive Coordinators that Mason went through had something to do with that and Mason was a very experienced Head Coach.

It still seems that if Weber played like he did as a Freshman or Sophomore and his "catchers" caught the ball more often they'd be 8-4 rather then 6-6 and there'd be no damn threads about Shaw.

But they didn't.

Brewster, or maybe Maturi, kept Coach Shaw on for a few weeks during the transition. It was his job to keep the recruits informed of the transition and try to keep as many as he could. He played the part of the loyal soldier and was not rewarded with a spot on the new staff. I think we all can understand his disappointment - I just wish he wouldn't have worn it on his sleeve for months afterwards.

Phil Meyer was hired to replace Shaw, which, to me, was a downgrade. We would have been better off have Shaw. My gut feeling is that Brewster and Shaw didn't hit it off and if they had, Shaw would have been retained.

Brewster, or maybe Maturi, kept Coach Shaw on for a few weeks during the transition. It was his job to keep the recruits informed of the transition and try to keep as many as he could. He played the part of the loyal soldier and was not rewarded with a spot on the new staff. I think we all can understand his disappointment - I just wish he wouldn't have worn it on his sleeve for months afterwards.

Phil Meyer was hired to replace Shaw, which, to me, was a downgrade. We would have been better off have Shaw. My gut feeling is that Brewster and Shaw didn't hit it off and if they had, Shaw would have been retained.

Those are my sentiments, exactly. Also, and this goes for everyone in any job, when you eventually have to move on at your job leave with class and some dignity and take the high road even if the circumstances are bad. A good example of leaving with class would be Torii Hunter, who had nothing but good things to say and received a standing ovation when he came back to play against the Twins. A bad example of this would be Chuck Knoblauch, who left on very bad terms and everyone knows how he was greeted when he came back.

You never know in this business...... maybe if Shaw had taken the high road he would have been invited back to coach at some point but even if he hadn't you don't throw all those good years he had here down the drain by leaving on a foul note because that is what you are remembered by.

fwiw - Browning would love to be back in MN. Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't he responsible for recruiting Maroney and Barber?

The o-line coach we have now was good enough for USC and the Miami Dolphins. Thus, I think he might be good enough for the Gophers.

The high school football coaches here in Minnesota that I know have a similar high regard for Gordie.

Not only was he a great offensive/OL coach, but he was (and I am sure still is) an equally great guy.

I'm not sure where the negative stuff originated?

I have no doubt Gordie Shaw is a fine guy to have a beer with and talk some football and was accessible to high school coaches. I KNOW he was a good coach. Here's the thing though, when things are going good everyone's a swell guy.

After Brew decided not to retain him, which is more the rule, rather than the exception Gordie lost my respect. Simply put, when things got tough he became a real jerkoff. He had to be physically thrown out (I heard he might have been a little drunk) of the Cretin Derham Hall suite for openly rooting against the Gophers, booing when they did well and generally acting like a horse's arse. It's been reported by players and parents of players that he then tried to politic "his" players to work against Brewster and Meyer. It was said that he called some of the Minnesota high school recruits he'd been working and bad mouthed Brewster and the new staff telling those players not to come here and then he came onto GopherHole posing as a fan and absolutely cut his own throat bad mouthing Brewster, the staff, the new players and the University. He was relentless. He was in every thread. He would not stop. He was in fact banned I believe (Correct me if I'm wrong?) and snuck back in using multiple aliases with the sole purpose of bashing the program. Is this a guy you'd want on your staff? Is this a guy you'd want teaching your son and being a role model for 4-5 years?

In the end he IS a good coach, but he acted ceaselessly during a difficult time. A time not just when HE needed to find a new job, but a time when "his" players needed him to lend a steady hand.

It was in incredibly poor taste to go out like he did. As I said, go out with class as that will be how you are remembered for years to come. Does anyone remember how Jim Wacker left?? Unfortunately, all the good that Shaw did was really tainted by his actions after he got fired.

I prefer to remember him for the all the good things that he did, but I won't forget how he left, either.

Was the rumor that he was posting here really substantiated? I always had my doubts. I haven't heard of any first-hand witnesses to the drunken box incident either. I don't think any of the allegations made the print either, don't you think that would be a dream storyline for Reusse?

Now that the Jedd F. to the NFL topics have blown-up does anybody want to revisit the "can't we bring Gordy back?" I mean anybody besides Gordy or his relatives?

It will come back again anyway.:horse:

Top Bottom