Silence from Hawkins and Christie is deafening!

penguinpush4

Reaction score
In an era where we are seeing players announce via social media every single intention (i.e. "I'm portaling!", "I'm back!", "I've decided on Cheerios for breakfast today!"), should we be concerned that we haven't heard anything from Hawkins or Christie yet about what they intend to do?

In an era where we are seeing players announce via social media every single intention (i.e. "I'm portaling!", "I'm back!", "I've decided on Cheerios for breakfast today!"), should we be concerned that we haven't heard anything from Hawkins or Christie yet about what they intend to do?
I mean.....Hawkins flat out said he is definitely coming back. Do we really need him to put it on social media in order to believe it?

Christie is almost certainly going to at least go through the draft evaluation process.

I don't know how active Hawkins and Christie are on social media in general but not everyone is obsessed with it or posts all the time. In fact, more and more you hear of athletes and others getting rid of their social media because it is so toxic.

Toxic? Like Gopher Hole?
This site certainly can be toxic at times. In game threads tend to be a cesspool of negativity during games. But it isn't as in your face as social media is.

We never tried to keep our kids off of social media but I am so relieved that none of my sons have ever developed a strong attachment to it. They use social media but aren't obsessed with it the way many people are.

Welcome Penguin Pusher!

Look at NBA mock drafts. At this point Cam Christie is not even mentioned in the top 120. I think it is unlikely he would leave to be a G league player. Regarding Hawkins, he has taken his one “free” transfer. If he leaves, he sits for a year. Highly doubtful that he’d do that. I’d say Hawkins is definitely back. If z Christie was going to the portal, he would have already done so, and I think it is unlikely, given where he is projected on mock drafts, that he leaves for the NBA. Wait it out….

Look at NBA mock drafts. At this point Cam Christie is not even mentioned in the top 120. I think it is unlikely he would leave to be a G league player. Regarding Hawkins, he has taken his one “free” transfer. If he leaves, he sits for a year. Highly doubtful that he’d do that. I’d say Hawkins is definitely back. If z Christie was going to the portal, he would have already done so, and I think it is unlikely, given where he is projected on mock drafts, that he leaves for the NBA. Wait it out….
You get unlimited free transfers now. All NCAA players can leave at any time now

I'm willing to take Hawkins at his word that he is coming back even without the social media posts but there really isn't a one free transfer thing and then sit out rule right now. If Hawkins decided to transfer I don't think he would have any trouble getting immediate eligibility.

I'm willing to take Hawkins at his word that he is coming back even without the social media posts but there really isn't a one free transfer thing and then sit out rule right now. If Hawkins decided to transfer I don't think he would have any trouble getting immediate eligibility.
The NCAA isn’t even fighting injunctions against limited transfers, contributing to the free for all. Maybe they have a long game planned, but I doubt it.

I just think it weird that they even need to announce they are coming back. They are there on a scholarship the expectation is that they will be back unless they announce they are entering the portal, entering the NBA draft or medically retiring or something like that. Just weird to me.

This site certainly can be toxic at times. In game threads tend to be a cesspool of negativity during games. But it isn't as in your face as social media is.

We never tried to keep our kids off of social media but I am so relieved that none of my sons have ever developed a strong attachment to it. They use social media but aren't obsessed with it the way many people are.
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but it's crazy to me how many people have a big life event, go on a nice vacation, go to a nice dinner, etc. and their first instinct is "I have to post about this online". I genuinely feel sorry for some of these people.

I just think it weird that they even need to announce they are coming back. They are there on a scholarship the expectation is that they will be back unless they announce they are entering the portal, entering the NBA draft or medically retiring or something like that. Just weird to me.
My guess is the marketing department is speaking to us and it has little to do with the players. Scroll this forum and one of the most discussed topics is who is staying or going. They’re trying to sooth us.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but it's crazy to me how many people have a big life event, go on a nice vacation, go to a nice dinner, etc. and their first instinct is "I have to post about this online". I genuinely feel sorry for some of these people.
The subject of social media is a much bigger subject, but I'm with you.

The sad part of it all is how much stock people put in the opinions of people they barely know or don't know at all in the quest for likes.

We all know what the rule is supposed to be but all you have to do is look at what is going in college basketball and you can clearly see it is not being enforced right now. Guys are free to transfer as much as they want right now due to court battles that are ongoing.
There was a specific injunction issued by a court in December that addressed the issue at least for that specific player that prohibited the ncaa from preventing the second transfer. The NCAA chose not to pursue any further, allowing any other players sitting to be eligible immediately.

Yep....the concept of needing to announce you are returning is a very new thing and a direct reflection of the insanity of the portal and free transfers.

That said, this thread is proof that the lack of an announcement makes people nervous now. The assumption is becoming that players are going to leave as opposed to the old assumption which was that players were going to stay.

There was a specific injunction issued by a court in December that addressed the issue at least for that specific player that prohibited the ncaa from preventing the second transfer. The NCAA chose not to pursue any further, allowing any other players sitting to be eligible immediately.

Somehow, I didn’t know this. Oops! I stand corrected!

I still think Hawkins will be back!

it may be harsh, but the new reality of D1 major-conference sports is that every player is a free agent every year.

You simply cannot assume that a player is staying, and you cannot assume that a player is leaving. there is no guarantee either way.

ergo, the only way to know what a player plans to do is for that player to announce his or her intentions.

and when other players on a team are announcing their intentions, the fact that a player has not made any announcement will draw attention. the lack of news......is news.

(the lack of news, is news - sounds very much like something Winston Smith would say........)

I've known people who let the world know they're pooping on Facebook.

I mean.....Hawkins flat out said he is definitely coming back. Do we really need him to put it on social media in order to believe it?
Yes. Nothing is official until is TikTok/Insta/X official....:cool:

I have a bit of very cautious optimism that we have not seen any recent offers to portal transfer guards (after it seemed like we had a lot in mid March). Seems like our focus is on a post right now to replace Payne as he is confirmed transferring. Hopefully this means Ben has reason to think Christie is sticking around.

EDIT: unless I have missed some offers to guards

The chances Christie transfers becomes less and less as time goes by. He's missing out on opportunities the longer he waits. Of course there is still plenty of time for him to transfer if he wants, but feel like there's a greater chance he's back the further along we go.

The chances Christie transfers becomes less and less as time goes by. He's missing out on opportunities the longer he waits. Of course there is still plenty of time for him to transfer if he wants, but feel like there's a greater chance he's back the further along we go.
Agree with this.

It's a whole new world now, but in Christie's case specifically, I lean toward no news is good news. Like others, ultimately I think it's likely he tests the NBA waters but comes back for another college season. Just hoping it's with us.

The draft is the bigger threat. If one or two teams convince him he's a 1st round pick...

And yet many posters out here point out that players haven't posted their intents.

My guess is the marketing department is speaking to us and it has little to do with the players. Scroll this forum and one of the most discussed topics is who is staying or going. They’re trying to sooth us.
Now I have to listen to Soothe Me by Sam and Dave.

Top Bottom