Signings 2020 Class

Looks like the Gopher future backup PF.

She is 6'0.

Gophers will have 6'2 Sissoko, 6'3 Hedman, 6'3 Woodard, 6'2 Sconiers, and 6'3 Cumming. Those will be the forwards and centers next season.

SG/SF is more likely for Strande. as the backup for either Scalia or Hubbard.

She is 6'0.

Gophers will have 6'2 Sissoko, 6'3 Hedman, 6'3 Woodard, 6'2 Sconiers, and 6'3 Cumming. Those will be the forwards and centers next season.

SG/SF is more likely for Strande. as the backup for either Scalia or Hubbard.

Did Justice Ross already enter the transfer portal or isn’t she worth mentioning?

It would be a little surprising to see Whalen commit full time to a two post system. Part of the problem is this team tends to accumulate better guards than they can forwards.

Well I figured name the ones likely to play. We have not seen anything yet to show Ross will jump up in playing time. Sissoko used to be listed as a guard and Hedman is a stretch more like an Abi Scheid so those two likely fill the forward roll as they can shoot and not typical forwards/centers. My guess is Starters (barring any transfers out) will be Powell, Hubbard, Scalia, Sissoko and either Sconiers or Woodard are Center.

Did Justice Ross already enter the transfer portal or isn’t she worth mentioning?

It would be a little surprising to see Whalen commit full time to a two post system. Part of the problem is this team tends to accumulate better guards than they can forwards.

Well I figured name the ones likely to play. We have not seen anything yet to show Ross will jump up in playing time. Sissoko used to be listed as a guard and Hedman is a stretch more like an Abi Scheid so those two likely fill the forward roll as they can shoot and not typical forwards/centers. My guess is Starters (barring any transfers out) will be Powell, Hubbard, Scalia, Sissoko and either Sconiers or Woodard are Center.
Those are good projections but don't be surprised if a transfer knocks one of those players out of the starting lineup at the 4/5.

Those are good projections but don't be surprised if a transfer knocks one of those players out of the starting lineup at the 4/5.

Sissoko and Woodard are the transfers. Are you thinking there is going to be another experienced transfer coming?

> Did Justice Ross already enter the transfer portal … ?

> We have not seen anything yet to show Ross will jump up in playing time.

Although nothing has been said officially about Ross (or Cummings), I think we've pretty well established that they intend to red-shirt both Ross and Cummings (since they haven't played at all - thus a jump in Ross' playing time would be a jump from zero to positive).

And that makes good sense - not much positive to be gained from playing them at this point, so might as well red-shirt them and keep their talents for next year plus 3 more years.

However - and I thought of this before, but had nothing (til now) to motivate me to mention it ...

(A triple if, here) if I were in Whalen's chair, and if the fact that Ross has been warming up means she's ready to play, and if I were willing to burn Ross' red shirt (and that's the part that I think is false), then I definitely would have put Ross into the Indiana game to defend on Ali Patberg.

Little info to go on, but Ross looks to me like she's possibly agile and reasonbly fast. Plus she's six feet tall. I think she would have been able to slow down Patberg by keeping up with her and then blocking her once or twice, which would make Patberg more gun-shy, and her 20 points in the first half might have been cut down to ten. It would be a gamble since you might be burning a red shirt for nothing.

And of course, the other part of the Patberg problem was that it seemed like it took the coaches til half-time to figure out that maybe Diva was the last chance for somebody to be able to slow down Patberg.

If I were willing to burn her red shirt, I would have put Ross in at the 1Q/2Q break - nothing to lose but a red shirt, and possibly an Indiana game to be won.

Anyway, that's a lot of ifs, and obviously the coaches didn't think it was a good idea. Or maybe, didn't think of the idea at all.

Last edited:

Caroline Strande's season was ended by Brookfield Academy.

While it might bit of a stretch to suggest Erina Weiss was obsessed with Caroline Strande this week, it’s also not far from the truth.

Weiss, a 5-foot-11 senior forward for the Brookfield Academy High School girls basketball team, is the Blue Knights’ defensive stopper. She was assigned to Strande in Thursday night’s WIAA Division 4 sectional semifinal and she did about as good of a job as one can imagine.

With Weiss and help defenders frustrating Strande much of the night, Brookfield Academy ended Racine Lutheran’s dream season with a 54-47 victory. It was the first loss of the season for Lutheran (24-1), which finished the regular season ranked No. 2 in Division 4 in the Associated Press state poll.
Strande, the fifth-leading scorer in state history, finished with 21 points, nine rebounds and four assists in her final high school game. But she consistently had difficulty penetrating and working loose for open shots and did not make a 3-point basket after entering the game with 55 this season.
Strande was particularly upset with herself after the game after she went 3 for 8 from the line. All of her free-throw attempts came in the final 3 minutes, 33 seconds of the game and she missed the front end of the bonus twice.

Alexia Smith's season continues:

The Africentric girls basketball team is headed to its fifth consecutive regional final after beating Castalia Margaretta 69-33 in a Division III regional semifinal March 4 at Lexington.

The two-time defending state champion Nubians will face Ottawa-Glandorf for a regional title March 7 at Lexington.

Africentric improved to 22-4 behind 21 points, 11 rebounds, six blocks and five steals from Sakima Walker. The Rutgers commit scored eight points in the opening quarter as the Nubians built a 22-12 lead.

Maliyah Johnson contributed 13 points and eight rebounds and Alexia Smith added 10 points against Margaretta, which finished 24-2. The Nubians beat Margaretta 66-35 in a regional semifinal last season.

Africentric's Sakima Walker, a 6-4 senior set to play basketball next season at Rutgers, led all scorers with 21 points, seven rebounds and six blocks. She was 9 of 14 from the floor, while Malliyah Johnson was 6-of-8 shooting to finish with 13 points and eight rebounds. Alexia Smith chipped in 10 points and seven boards, with Arianna Smith adding nine points.

Last edited:

Some info on Africentric D1 players: Lindsay and Marlene probably bumped into each other on the recruiting trail.

The star of last year's Africentric team, Jordan Horston, is now averaging 9.8 points a game as a freshman for the University of Tennessee, but there are at least four players on the current roster who have accepted Division I scholarships.

“They are so quick and aggressive up top,” Kochendoerfer said. “Their two biggest strengths are their size and athleticism. Their 6-3 and 6-4 girls are just as athletic as their guards, which provided a lot of issues for us getting into sets. If we can get into our sets, I think we’re going to be OK, and it’s my job as coach to make sure we’re prepared and execute our offense.”

Sakima Walker, a 6-foot-5 post and the daughter of NBA 15-year veteran Samaki Walker, is still patrolling the paint for Africentric. The Nubians have at least four players committed to Division I schools such as Minnesota (Alexia Smith), Texas Tech (Nyam Thornton), Rutgers (Walker) and Cincinnati.

Hmm. Forward Tereza Vitulova is transferring from Wyoming. Looks like she may have played with Tomancova in CR? (Raoul twitter notes she led her team in points and rebounds)

Last edited:

Hmm. Forward Tereza Vitulova is transferring from Wyoming. Looks like she may have played with Tomancova in CR? (Raoul twitter notes she led her team in points and rebounds)

She wouldn't be a grad transfer. She'd have to sit out a year.

I know Daja Woodard is committed but not yet signed; but with the season winding down we are running low on news regarding players who will be arriving this summer.

Any way this is probably not good: Woodard was ejected in a loss to EMCC; although she didn't start, Woodard played in the next game when Jones College defeated Northwest Mississippi 90-64. The win advances Jones College to the NJCAA national tournament.

Woodard averages 22.4 minutes/game, 9.3 points and 8.9 rebounds. She's a .588 free throw shooter.

Though the Lady Lions trailed the entire first overtime, they seemed to gather some initial spark after Jones’ Daja Woodard was ejected from the game for throwing a punch. The all-state forward had collected a double-double (18 points & 10 rebounds) prior to having to leave the contest.
Later in the first five-minute period and still trailing by three points (69-66), Lattimore produced some additional highlights by connecting another last-second 3-pointer as the buzzer sounded to send the game into a second extra session tied at 69-all.

The game versus Northwest Mississippi:

Head coach Missy Bilderback's Bobcats captured its fourth consecutive Region 23 Tournament championship with a convincing, 94-60 victory over Northwest Mississippi here Friday night in A.E. Wood Coliseum on the campus of Mississippi College.

Jones (24-4) will head to Lubbock, Texas, for the fourth straight year for the NJCAA Division I National Tournament March 16-21 at the Rip Griffin Center on the campus of Lubbock Christian University. Jones is officially the Gulf District champion.

The national tournament seeding and schedule will be announced on www.njcaa.org at 10:30 a.m. on Monday.

The heroes were many for Jones.

Jatyjia Jones (Pontotoc) led the Bobcats with 22 points and eight rebounds. Chyna Allen (Harrison Central) had 15 points and a career-high 11 assists. LaMiracle Sims (Moss Point) had 14 points and seven rebounds and Destiny Haymer (Holmes County Central) had 12 points. Daja Woodard (Mobile, Alabama) had nine points and 10 rebounds and Jordan Clark (South Jones) had nine points and five rebounds. Keyara Jones (Heidelberg) finished with seven points and six rebounds

Grad transfer
Laura Bagwell Katalinich announced as grad transfer from Cornell. She played HS ball at Holy Angels. She started Cornell's game here last season and shot 1-11 with 10 rebounds but her numbers from this year sound decent.

Is this who you were referring to? Or does Whalen have another one coming in? :)

Laura Bagwell Katalinich announced as grad transfer from Cornell. She played HS ball at Holy Angels. She started Cornell's game here last season and shot 1-11 with 10 rebounds but her numbers from this year sound decent.

Is this who you were referring to? Or does Whalen have another one coming in? :)

This is the one. She's a nice addition who will be an immediate contributor. Terrific leadership qualities and plenty of experience. Her run to the state title with AHA was super impressive.

I was told it was a center so i gotta get better sources but Laura is a real productive player. Great person, super smart kid (obviously coming from the Ivy league), will be a great teammate. Good addition to the squad.

Last edited:

Always nice to have a Minnesota kid back home! Hope she can help contribute!

I was told it was a center so i gotta get better sources but Laura is a real productive player. Great person, super smart kid (obviously coming from the Ivy league), will be a great teammate. Good addition to the squad.

She likely will be provided depth at the 3/4 position. Maybe could knock out a starter from this year to take over the SF starting position. I still feel that Sissoko will be the starting PF barring any injuries. Center position likely between Woodard and Sconiers. SF could be Laure and Scalia locking down that position.

So updated look at my predicted/expected depth chart.

C: Sconiers/Woodard (could see either of them started_
PF: Sissoko/Hedman (could see Laura get minutes here as well)
SF: Scalia/Bagwell-Katalinich
SG: Hubbard (could see minutes from Scalia here. also could see freshman Strande getting minutes)
PG: Powell/Smith

Tomancova, Cumming and Ross I am not sure where they fit. I think Cumming could fight for minutes at C/PF position as well.

Can someone please give us an accounting of all the new 2020 Gopher basketball players? I lost track.

Does Whalen have any ladies coming in that are 6’4 or 6,5 in size?

The three signed high school players identified at the start of this thread are:

Erin Hedman: 6'3" from New Berlin, Wisconsin
Caroline Strande: 5'11" from Racine, Wisconsin
Alexia Smith: 5'8" from Columbus, Ohio

The recent grad transfer is:

Laura Bagwell-Katalinich: 6'0" from Cornell who played at Holy Angels

There is a committed (but not signed (as far as I know) player):

Daja Woodward from Jones College.

The three signed high school players identified at the start of this thread are:

Erin Hedman: 6'3" from New Berlin, Wisconsin
Caroline Strande: 5'11" from Racine, Wisconsin
Alexia Smith: 5'8" from Columbus, Ohio

The recent grad transfer is:

Laura Bagwell-Katalinich: 6'0" from Cornell who played at Holy Angels

There is a committed (but not signed (as far as I know) player):

Daja Woodward from Jones College.
Smith is a 5 Star, Hedman a 4 Star, and Strande a 3 Star signee. Glad to see LBK coming here for her Senior year. It is always nice to see some MN athletes playing for the Gophers! Whalen has a nice recruiting class coming in, so the future looks bright.

Top Bottom